Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Starting A Cryptocurrency - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Programming (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Starting A Cryptocurrency (/thread-10863.html)

Pages: 1 2

Starting A Cryptocurrency - Halflife390 - 09-11-2016

Hi guys, Halflife390 here;

Bloody hell its been over a year since I have even been on the server! So many new people, well time moves on.

Im just so busy with IRL projects so have no idea when i'll be getting back to redstone, I do however check the forums sparsely when I have time.

Anyway for those who are interested, for the final project of my computing course we are instructed to make a program in visual basic. There is literally no requirements for it except it obviously has to be sophisticated so you can get loads of marks. Just to give you an idea, one guy I know is making firmware from scratch (using no library's) to control a 3D printer he is going to assemble himself.

I decided to go down the purely software root like most people and really wanted to make a complex program that isn't some kind of boring database and will be fun to make. I have decided to basically make my own cryptocurrency like bitcoin. I have analysed the bitcoin protocol and examined vb's capabilities and have deemed the project as feasible and possible within the given time frame. I already have some parts of it coded and working such as the p2p networking and sha256 hashing and mining function. If its not already clear, this is a project for getting a qualification so I'm not actually going to distribute it around the world and try to make money, its for fun. However, the program will be backed by the same cryptographic hashing technology that secures bitcoin so there is nothing stopping me from actually distributing it if I wanted to (there is no reason for anyone to use it though).

I have just started the project and its needs to be finished by January. I'm posting this here if anyone is interested and wants to know more or maybe even volunteer to be a beta tester?

If you have any questions or want to know more just ask!

RE: Starting A Cryptocurrency - josh03222 - 09-11-2016

yessir I would like money.

RE: Starting A Cryptocurrency - ddthj - 09-13-2016

I like having large amounts of useless cryptocurrency, count me in

RE: Starting A Cryptocurrency - tokumei - 09-13-2016

can I convert it to bitcoins later?

RE: Starting A Cryptocurrency - josh03222 - 09-13-2016

I just want moneyz

RE: Starting A Cryptocurrency - AltruismAndCake - 09-14-2016

Sure, I'll beta test it, send me a copy whenever Smile

RE: Starting A Cryptocurrency - VoltzLive - 09-22-2016

The funniest part "no boring database"
Brah A block chain is a database! Kek

RE: Starting A Cryptocurrency - Halflife390 - 09-24-2016

(09-22-2016, 07:44 AM)VoltzLive Wrote: The funniest part "no boring database"
Brah A block chain is a database! Kek

I know but when I say boring database I mean Microsoft Access which I personally hate. A block chain is way more interesting to code!

RE: Starting A Cryptocurrency - VoltzLive - 09-25-2016

I have been sort of planning my own blockchain/public key p2p project not a crypto currency though

RE: Starting A Cryptocurrency - Halflife390 - 09-25-2016

(09-25-2016, 02:34 AM)VoltzLive Wrote: I have been sort of planning my own blockchain/public key p2p project not a crypto currency though

Elaborate?