Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Bukkit 1.8! - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Programming (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Bukkit 1.8! (/thread-4974.html)

Bukkit 1.8! - Chibill - 10-28-2014

I am working on getting the Bukkit API in to minecraft 1.8.

Now you may know that CraftBukkit was taken down with a DMCA this did not affect the Bukkit API. So you can update it but you need to figure out how to distrobute it with out shiping Mojang code.

Thats where work of Sponge and My own deobf loader comes into play.

WIth Sponge they have a patching system to edit Normal code with out actually having to ship the edited files. This with my loader as a support system can allow the Bukkit API to live on. MY distro will be know as not CraftBukkit. It will have its own name later. But yeah it won't violate the LGPL lisence and it will allow for Bukkit to be updated.

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - CX gamer - 10-28-2014

Sounds like a wonderful idea, but sounds like a lot of work. :o

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - Chibill - 10-28-2014

I have craftbukkit 1.7.10 in my dev right now fixing errors in it.

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - greatgamer34 - 10-29-2014

im not really sure what all of this is. Can you explain it a bit please!!

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - Chibill - 10-29-2014

I am using the bukkit api and my own class loaded system to make it not violate the EULA of mine craft and it does not contain what caused Craftbukkit to be DMCAed.

I am working on porting it over. To Minecraft 1.8

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - greatgamer34 - 10-29-2014

will this be useful for the server if / when we update to 1.8?

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - Chibill - 10-29-2014

Yes I plan on making it directly replaceable with the old CraftBukkit server.

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - Chibill - 10-30-2014

Anyone have Ideas for a name?

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - TSO - 10-30-2014

Chibilkit

Maybe.

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - Apuly - 10-30-2014

Fukkit, obviously

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - TSO - 10-30-2014

It's pronounced fookkit!

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - AltruismAndCake - 10-30-2014

I'm curious on the progress of this. which parts need replaced? What's the hardest part going to be? What language will it be done in? (I'm guessing java but you never know) Is this the most efficient way to update the server? (I'm not saying scraping everything and starting from scratch is more efficient... or am I Wink ) Do you have anyone else on your team? Thanks for your time

1. I have just started working on the actually adding in the Bukkit API. 2. I am removing all Minecraft server code from it. 3. Actually making it so I don't distrubute the Mojang Code (Somewhat reason why Craftbukkit DMCAed but it was not because of Mojang) so it does not violate the GPL license. 4. Yeah Java. 5.Yeah but I starting from scrach I one will have the bukkit api. I have to implement it myself. 6. Not really.

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - TSO - 10-31-2014

If you are going to make it exclusively for this server, then you can use better options than java.

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - Chibill - 10-31-2014

Its not just for this server. Its for anyone as a Craftbukkit replacement.

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - Chibill - 11-04-2014

Starting work on the main port. Got the api working again. (Not erroring.)

The one thing that will happen to all Plugin for this is that the actual launcher will internal repackage from using the old craftbukkit packages in the current bukkit jar to my own implementation.

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - Chibill - 11-04-2014

started writing the first wrapper class around the new BlockState system. Turns out I am going to have do do a lot of code digging to get that to work.

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - TSO - 11-07-2014

I don't know quite how far you into this, but I had an idea for Fukkit on POSIX that you might like.
It involves connecting stdin of the bash terminal to the chat line of the game.

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - Chibill - 11-07-2014

I have a name I am going to call it ChiBukkit. And I finished the first wrapper class to fix the problems with the block state system and meta data.

Can I have a copy of either ChiBukket or just an older Bukkit so that I can begin creating my plugin/system call?

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - CX gamer - 11-07-2014

I think he's still removing MC server code, so unless he finished doing that I don't think it is legal yet. (the original problem)

I am updating it to 1.8 right now then making a bunch of patch files for where it edits mc source. So far I have like nothing done.

After this update I will move the whole system over to the new block state system but I won't do that yet because that would destroy every plugin dealing with blocks.

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - Apuly - 11-07-2014

(11-07-2014, 04:46 AM)Chibill Wrote: I have a name I am going to call it ChiBukkit. And I finished the first wrapper class to fix the problems with the block state system and meta data.

Just so you know, I'm going to continue calling it fukkit.
As in "Fukkit, I'm making my own bukkit."

I think I am too.
At the very least, Fukkit could be the name of Full Bukket, which could be the name of the Bash shell inclusion. (Which make not including it the Simple Bukket... Or Sukket.)

What I meant was not, "can I have a copy once it it legal," it was, "You see that table over there? I need you to pass me something under it."

Look up the torrent for it.... use google.

Well, after three close calls with some viruses... and plenty of taskkill operations, I can safely say that that plan is not going to work.

The first on is safe.

And it craftbukkit. You should be looking up.

I did. It has also been hit.
Many of the torrents also DMCA'd (though I don't know why)

I appears that the exact DMCA claim is, "bukkit.org and all other craftbukkit distributors have violated DMCA by distributing CraftBukkit code written by Wesley Wolfe," Wesley Wolfe is a primary contributor the the craftbukkit project and is an administrator of bukkit.org.

A careful read of the DMCA claim gives the following: 1.) You can not make any distribution containing minecraft code. 2.) You can not make any distribution containing anything in the following links
Code:
https://github.com/Wolvereness/Bukkit-Bleeding/commits?author=Wolvereness
or
Code:
https://github.com/Wolvereness/Bukkit-Bleeding/commit/0a0fee8be25bf8a732abff2d66a89a64614b6327
unless also compliant with the licence
Code:
https://github.com/Wolvereness/Bukkit-Bleeding/blob/f210234e59275330f83b994e199c76f6abd41ee7/LICENCE.txt

The only thing that I find weird is the fact that the claim is not valid... but that is a different discussion.

DO you mean the line torrent? It trips three separate virus scanners, each for different reasons, without me even asking to scan it.

That's what my rewrite of the craftbukkit code will do. It will remove all moajng code from bukkit. And still allow it to work. And it makes it okay with that. And I am it sure if you looking it up right... The first for me is kickasstorrents

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - TSO - 11-08-2014

The links that he claimed under DMCA are for the plugin loader and many API updates.

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - Chibill - 11-08-2014

He DMCA is because of including Mojang's non-GPL code with out giving that source code under GPL.

Eh. The short of it is Bukkit DMCA'd Bukket for distributing Bukket. Because that is definitely the most sensible thing to do.

But my version won't distribute mojang code so its okay. I think...

I don't know. I'll check into that. None of this makes any sense, and I thought it was illegal to call a DMCA for someone else (he called it for mojang).

What I do know is that if Mojang claims that they don't care, the DMCA is immediately revoked and he gets fined for a federal offence.

In other news, I just made the discovery that I can't log into my own server. Heheheheheh

He called it for his code because bukkit violated the GPL by including Mojang ' s non GPL code. (Which actually that code is repackaged and displayed on bukkit's github as MCdev.)

See https://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mojang-and-the-bukkit-project.309715/

Yes, but legally, only the copyright holder can issue a DMCA claim, meaning the only person that can make the claim is Mojang itself, so he's riding a fine line. Your problem is that the DMCA calim also covered distribution his own code (which is why I find it odd). As far as I can tell, the API is still safe, but I can already tell you the plugin loader has been covered.

Actually the reason is craftbukkit contains non GPL code making it non GPL which violated his GPL. So he issued the DMCA. Mine would be safe because the whole project is GPL with no non GPL code used.

Okay, I just finished reading all of the GPL and lookin up some DCMA stuff. Yes, you were partially right, but there was one last thing that I was trying to figure out in the DMCA. The reason why it is so difficult to understand is because as I said before, Bukkit attacked Bukkit on this one. He claimed that Bukkit was violating his license by distributing minecraft code with his open source code. Therefore he DMCA'd any distribution of his code. I don't know why he did this, but he did. Mojang won't revoke it because if they do, then it is an official declaration that the server code is open source. Mojang also won't endorse it because that makes them the bad guy. But the thing that really matters is the DMCA context. In reality, the DMCA can only apply to his code because only the copyright holder may issue a DMCA. This is a good thing.

It seems like you might not need to do as much work as you thought. If you remove the code that he claimed, you can leave the decomipled server code, or maybe even use a more recent server code (like... oh... the 1.8 server I'm going to decompile tomorrow for reference purposes) because his DMCA will no longer apply to you. Then all that you, me, and anyone else willing to to contribute to Project Fukkit will need to do is rewrite the portions that he claimed. These seem to be mostly just little things (like code comments and random semantics) and the plugin loader. I haven't gone through it all and you said you already have your own plugin loader, so at the moment, it looks like you might already be more than 3/4 of the way done. Then all you need is the update to 1.8, which I think you said has just begun.

You can also just not use CraftBukkit code at all, but you can still use the Minecraft Server code.

Obviously, you are still at risk from a DMCA against ChiBukkit, but, I get the feeling that the rest of the Bukkit developers are going to be a bit more cautious about calling a DMCA, but I wouldn't advise going straight over to Bukkit.org and announcing that you are the savior of their people.

Also, I guess he pegged spigot as well, which (as far as I know) means that like 95% of all Minecraft servers are under this DMCA.

I tweeted him a few hours ago asking about this waiting for a reply. As far as I can see if I am still under his license then I am good to use his code. And as long as my code is all GPL then it won't affect ChiBukkit. My server will work in the same way forge's does. You need a copy of the real mojang server in its dir and it will at runtime patch in its code it needs.

Okay.
Well, I got my little server running on my laptop, so I'm all good for development. (mostly I'm good at breaking code)

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - Crazyninja2000 - 11-08-2014

1.8 is kinda useless for redstone. they just added a bunch of useless stuff like rabbits, new blocks, and a new structure. i like 1.7 better.

What about slime blocks...

And the ability to have asymmetric skins.

Also, in one of the snapshots it was revealed that redstone switching on and off will spawn these red silverfish that try to attack you.

Lol that's funny.

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - TSO - 11-09-2014

It will make survival computers interesting.
*runs program, computer retaliates*

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - Chibill - 11-09-2014

Your nor funny.

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - Phase - 11-24-2014

Is it done? What going on with development?

RE: Bukkit 1.8! - Chibill - 11-24-2014

I have stopped dev for now as Sopigt (misspelled is a few weeks away for 1.8 full)