Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
A Staff Change for the School Server - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: School Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: A Staff Change for the School Server (/thread-2727.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: A Staff Change for the School Server - Dcentrics - 03-19-2014

Remember the POLL doesn't mean anything. Just to see who supports the idea and who is being addicted spaming...

RE: A Staff Change for the School Server - veloxsouth - 03-20-2014

Please, keep in mind there is always an issue with similar choices in a poll. Two similar options can split the vote, leaving one lone option to win despite being unpopular. So I'm voting for both inaction or a combining of the servers.

Personally, I feel that there is no need to have two staff populations

My response to the discussion so far:
If they are entrusted to keep order, they should be able to do so wherever needed. Why enable a possible situation where the only staff online are powerless on build where they could have been helpful? Consider that a person caught spamming on school could get banned from school then immediately connect to build and torture the builders, and there's nothing that the lone school-staff could do.

If you are trying to test the waters with a new staff member, why should the students have to deal with a possibly poor staff member any more than builders do? Just give them lesser tools, like removing any ban hammer over a day long, with the authority to use them on both servers.

The rules are the same for both servers (pretty much just don't be a dick), so why make them two different jurisdictions?

My proposal:
The common complaint seems to be that students are alienated and that it's difficult to contact staff when needed. If any staff or teachers are on, they are likely only on build. So let's attack this directly where possible.
-Get more staff for better overall coverage.
-Make it easy for staff to see problems(or problem players) themselves, and easy for staff and teachers to be seen so that students don't have to log in to a different server to request a lesson or to kick a griefer.
permanently bridging chat between build and school, or simply putting everyone on the same server with different permissions for staff, builders, teachers, and students are possible solutions.

This should help students learn faster by reducing the barrier to learning, reduce griefing by increasing staff presence, and get rid of the perception that school is just there and not an active place to be by bringing school's purpose closer to home.

The only risks players face with this proposal are possibly overcrowding on the combined server system.

RE: A Staff Change for the School Server - Iceglade - 03-20-2014

(03-20-2014, 05:06 AM)veloxsouth Wrote: Please, keep in mind there is always an issue with similar choices in a poll. Two similar options can split the vote, leaving one lone option to win despite being unpopular. So I'm voting for both inaction or a combining of the servers.

Personally, I feel that there is no need to have two staff populations

My response to the discussion so far:
If they are entrusted to keep order, they should be able to do so wherever needed. Why enable a possible situation where the only staff online are powerless on build where they could have been helpful? Consider that a person caught spamming on school could get banned from school then immediately connect to build and torture the builders, and there's nothing that the lone school-staff could do.

If you are trying to test the waters with a new staff member, why should the students have to deal with a possibly poor staff member any more than builders do? Just give them lesser tools, like removing any ban hammer over a day long, with the authority to use them on both servers.

The rules are the same for both servers (pretty much just don't be a dick), so why make them two different jurisdictions?

My proposal:
The common complaint seems to be that students are alienated and that it's difficult to contact staff when needed. If any staff or teachers are on, they are likely only on build. So let's attack this directly where possible.
-Get more staff for better overall coverage.
-Make it easy for staff to see problems(or problem players) themselves, and easy for staff and teachers to be seen so that students don't have to log in to a different server to request a lesson or to kick a griefer.
permanently bridging chat between build and school, or simply putting everyone on the same server with different permissions for staff, builders, teachers, and students are possible solutions.

This should help students learn faster by reducing the barrier to learning, reduce griefing by increasing staff presence, and get rid of the perception that school is just there and not an active place to be by bringing school's purpose closer to home.

The only risks players face with this proposal are possibly overcrowding on the combined server system.

I as on the edge (sorry, my double u(W) key doesn't work), but no I'm convinced that merging servers is a better option. Of course I can't change my vote, but just know that that's here I stand no. Apologies for the atrocious spelling.
EDIT: your welcome ice

RE: A Staff Change for the School Server - Dcentrics - 03-20-2014

lol ice thats fucking aWesome xDwwww

w(.-.)w

RE: A Staff Change for the School Server - Xray_Doc - 03-20-2014

The reason I thought this would be a good idea is because it actually worked really well on the RDF. Tyler and titan did a really good job running the school server and put a lot of time and effort in making the server enjoyable for students and visitors.

I agree with Xray because that was the only WELL ran server that had active improvement. The RDF build was just a lot of the same thing

Although during Beta it was a lot of fun because things constantly improved

RE: A Staff Change for the School Server - Epic_SkyPilot - 03-20-2014

Well all I know is I think it's about time we get some new staff members that are around the school often. Whether that be with a separate team, joined servers, whatever, it doesn't matter. The school really does need more involvement from staff, it suffers heavily from lack of discipline because whenever there's a problem somebody has to jump to build just to find someone who can help, and often times they're not even willing.

It seems like everyone agrees about that. I have no preference to how this is done, I just want the net result to be more staff members on the school, that's it.

RE: A Staff Change for the School Server - Dcentrics - 03-21-2014

if there are 2-3 on school I almost always will hop on there to make sure everything is ok. then i tell him if the need ANYTHING to come and get me or another admin on the build server. Sometimes i just stay there because i dont have anything better todo.