Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Possible Failiure of Build Server - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-102.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Possible Failiure of Build Server (/thread-4027.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Possible Failiure of Build Server - greatgamer34 - 07-15-2014

Guys lets stay on topic please!

RE: Possible Failiure of Build Server - LordDecapo - 07-15-2014

My comment was only one off topic. And it was a 1liner..

RE: Possible Failiure of Build Server - greatgamer34 - 07-15-2014

It wasnt directed at anyone in specific, please dont make assumptions.

We have plenty of server hosts available. We are working to resolve the issue as fast as possible! :3

RE: Possible Failiure of Build Server - redstonewarrior - 07-20-2014

As predicted, we were able to recover all data from the build server. (The directories were a bit jumbled from being disassociated from their parents, but who needs 'em.) The harddrive seems to be in decent condition, and we will be testing it soon. In the meantime, we may have build up for tomorrow.

Technical details:
There was an unknown failure point that caused the root file system on build to become available. The journal of the file system was not updated, yet directories were moved around / reallocated / disassociated. We may have lost some variable-data databases, but this does not affect build. As the snapshots directory and current map directory have frequently changing file children, they were affected by the failure. We currently have a heap of unnamed directories sitting in /mnt/pt1/lost+found, and I have managed to locate a backup within three hours of the failure. (I could do better, and may, but I'd call this a success over April.) There are a multitude of other directories, and using guesswork we would be able to reassemble the entire structure. For now, I'm pulling the bare minimum. The mentioned sufficient backup is in ~root/tmp2 mort.
The partition itself seems in okay order, aside from the potential database damage. (Some cleaning.)
It would be possible for me to copy over one of the backups into /servers/ORE and get build running in a minute's time. As build's server is offline while we assessed the situation, we'd have to wait for our host for this. For reasons of "let's not repeat this", it is more likely that we will be hosting on a fresh debian install on a different harddisk tomorrow. (While we thoroughly test the disk, to determine if it was the faultpoint.)

In the meantime, it seems people have been talking about a number of changes for ORE's servers:
* Possible merge of school and build.
* Updating and implementing OREUtilsV2 ( Big Grin )
* ***Cross-server backups*** (Crontab -e time.)
* Revamping of survival.
You will probably see a slew of polls, discussions, and general chat about these endeavors soon.
We're sorry this happened, and we'll be back online soon!
(Don't worry, we'll keep the temporary map in multiverse :3)

(Forgive me for any inconsistencies, ramblings, and general mistakes in this post. It's rather late here, and in my paranoia, I prolonged the recovery task by hours. I've been at this since early, and could have wrapped it up for tea. Assuming I wasn't sidetracked by reddit.)

RE: Possible Failiure of Build Server - PhysoniumI - 07-20-2014

Great job RSW!

RE: Possible Failiure of Build Server - Guy1234567890 - 07-20-2014

REEEED <33333

RE: Possible Failiure of Build Server - Nuuppanaani - 07-20-2014

Awesome Red! You rock <3