Forums - Open Redstone Engineers

Full Version: 6 tick hex CCA, adds up to 32 bit binary :O
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There's a warp: /warp hexcca

So, I finished my hex adder earlier this week. It is actually based on a subtraction algorithm I made up, to skip over the double inversion malarkey of your conventional hex adders. I just wired the inputs to default to 2's complement inversion on the B (-) input and inverted the Cin and Cout to make it an adder.

[Image: 90d5925647.png]
[Image: 6969316bab.png]

More photos:

[Image: de28bcd6bc.png]
[Image: 6c33f2b9b6.png]
[Image: 315ecec7fd.png]

I tried to draw out the algorithm here:

[Image: e071d816ec.jpg]

Explanation of the subtraction algorithm:

The first thing I did was do A-B and B-A. If B was greater than A, then that means the B-A part is on. I need to do some extra processing in that case, as it is a negative result.
Otherwise, I pass the result (the A-B output) to the end of the adder.

Oh, also since only one of those two outputs can be on at a time, I can OR those together later no bother, so keep that in mind.

Processing the case of B-A > 0
Now, let's deal with what happens when we find out we need to borrow.

So for a borrow, I take that B-A output and do 0x10 - (B-A). This is done by subtracting 1 from the B-A signal, and then inverting it like this:
[Image: e50584a99a.png]

Now, you might notice that the output of this inverter thing is still going to be F on 0 signal, the same as if there was a 1. This is bad, as there will be an F outputting when we don't want anything at all. (when B-A is 0, we want to be using the A-B output instead!)

The next thing to do is put a check for 0 on the B-A output. When the output is 0, we will disable that specially inverted output. After this, you're done processing the B-A output Big Grin

Interfacing with a CCA carry tower:

From the B-A output, you will be generating a 'borrow' signal if it is on. Just pretend you're generating a carry and you'll be ok Wink
that borrow signal goes into the generate input of a CCA carry tower. There is a trick here that I do which saves a tick, but it isn't necessary so I'll leave It out for simplicity's sake.

From the A-B output, you will be getting a 'borrow cancel' signal. Plug this in to the carry cancel input of the CCA carry tower.

Final steps and a special case

OK, that's about a half of the logic taken care of! Now to deal with the final subtraction and a special case.

So, now I have two outputs (A-B and the processed B-A) and a borrow output from the CCA carry tower. All I have to do now is to recombine the signals!

My two main outputs can be ORed together no problem, only one can be on at a time.

Next, I take the borrow signal, and if it is True I subtract 1 from the output. Obviously I do nothing if it is False.

Now there is a final special case, which is when A - B is 0. This is the subtraction equivalent of a propogate signal. It actually works fine on the existing hardware up until the point where a borrow is required. If you can do basic hex arithmetic you'll realise that 10 - 01 = F, but I can't do 10 - 1 with a comparator!

What I can do though is take my borrow signal and see if it is True while the other two inputs are 0. If these conditions are met, I can just override the output with full signal strength, which is F!

With that taken care of, the whole subtractor is done. (well, 1 layer. It stacks up to 8 layers)

phew

I hope that makes sense?
I don't even
Very cool. This can speed up hex computing.
What is the point of the end portals? Do they have some sort of special property?
They put out a value on the compactor. Can't remember what value but.
its just the max value(15). its easier than filling a container all the way and it copies with worldedit without losing the entities liek some contiainers would.
Also, from the perspective of all other devices, an ender portal acts exactly like a basic block. you can put redstone on top without it bleeeding, and repeaters don't treat it the same as comparators do either.
I saw it yesterday!  This is awesome! Too bad I couldn't try it.
please dont bump threads that are 5 months old if it does not contribute to the discussion.
I never really explained the thing that saves a tick on that adder so I'll just mention it briefly here:

I purposely bleed the CCA carry tower's generate line with the cancel line and use subtraction mode comparators. The way I bled it was so that the output of the borrow calculation would always be either 0 or 2 signal strength. Because I was guaranteed a consistent sig. strength with this technique, I could use the output directly to do -1 on later parts that depended on that 'borrow' evaluation.

So yeah, saved a tick.