Forums - Open Redstone Engineers

Full Version: Members posting in applications... (this needs addressing)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I understand some of our members are running in the staff election and are looking for every single way to bolster their reputations as good people, that part is understandable. If I check the warning log of some people and it says they have been warned once or twice about posting in apps, and I still see you doing it I will have to take other actions. This is a post to everybody and I am not targeting specific people, but as I mentioned this needed to be addressed. Speak with me in person or in the post below if you have an issue with anything that I have posted in this thread.
tbh some members can be quite helpful when it comes to applications. remember that time school applications where completely forgotten for like 10 days? just sayan
I understand the annoyance and I know I'm guilty of this.

Casual chat and opinion of the persons application are unacceptable in my opinion, but if they have an incomplete app, I don't see an issue with any random member helping them get the proper information in there.

In other words: We should be able to help but have no say in if the applicant will be accepted or sent to the school server.

On the other hand, most people who can't properly fill out the application in the first place probably won't make it in.
(01-14-2015, 07:52 PM)RekcirBrickeR Wrote: [ -> ]I understand the annoyance and I know I'm guilty of this.

Casual chat and opinion of the persons application are unacceptable in my opinion, but if they have an incomplete app, I don't see an issue with any random member helping them get the proper information in there.

In other words: We should be able to help but have no say in if the applicant will be accepted or sent to the school server.

On the other hand, most people who can't properly fill out the application in the first place probably won't make it in.

I agree with this. Sometimes, applications won't be touched for days, and people are waiting to see if they get accepted. How will they know if they don't have the right stuff they need if no staff members are checking the threads?

I like that members that know the ins and outs of the server can help out someone new trying to join, it shows a more friendly community. It's obvious staff are the only ones that can let them on, but it should be ok if a member wants to say "Hey! You need a picture there!" or "Yo! The link is broken!".
It is indeed nice that random members start helping the once trying to get in.
However, the best way of going about this is not replying to them in their applications, because you are not representing the server in this case.
You can always share you opinion to the admins by PMing them, either on the forums or in game, and if it seems like admins are ignoring a specific application, you can just start spamming them until they respond to it.
It is often considered generous when a member does the work of a Staff member. You put nearly no effort into the application? A member can say "You first need to put more effort into the application as this is barely an application." No pictures or videos? A member can respond saying that you need at least pictures/videos in order to be considered.

This saves the Staff some time.

What I do NOT find acceptable, despite the numerous excuses, are the dozens of school applications just waiting for a response. I hear "School server got borked when a Staff tried adding more plots and now they are full and cannot add more (easily)" way too often. While this seems like a perfectly valid, yet temporary, excuse, it is no reason to leave dozens of applications untouched. Two solutions:
  • Fix the school server as soon as possible (yes no video games until then) then reply to every school application as to not leave then hanging without a response.
  • Stop complaining about the community posting in the applications. If they were properly managed, users would not find the need to post. Then fix the school server and reply to every untouched application.
We are essentially doing the Staff's job of recognizing applications and before you get onto the community for posting in the applications sub-forum, you should reply to every other unanswered application.

Essentially: To get the members to stop posting, reply to the applications yourself. I see school apps over a month old and it is completely unacceptable.

Don't get onto us for doing what you were supposed to do.
I agree with Nick.
It also bothers me when I see a member post something helpful in an application and an admin will scold the member for replying but then not even acknowledge the application.
(01-15-2015, 05:01 PM)RekcirBrickeR Wrote: [ -> ]It also bothers me when I see a member post something helpful in an application and an admin will scold the member for replying but then not even acknowledge the application.

There is a clear line of replys to applications to the resignation of tyler569. I went back and there are still applications from August awaiting approval.
I understand but its a known rule, and I've seen in the Mod CP that people have been warned repeatedly and I understand that not many people do the applications in a timely manor, that I am addressing with administrators. Nick is completely right it is our fault that the applications are not getting done fast enough and its partially due to my in-activeness and holding of a staff position. But I can not just allow stuff to slide by and I really appreciate the forward thinking of our members even if it seems I'm being strict.
Pages: 1 2