Forums - Open Redstone Engineers

Full Version: Reasons x86 is bad.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Wow trying to compare PowerPC and x86
It may be years later but this post is making a big impact on my design decisions.
My money's on that ARM is eventually going to become supreme one day.
That day is not today.
3 operand machines are the shit.
(06-28-2017, 09:43 PM)Noorquacker Wrote: [ -> ]My money's on that ARM is eventually going to become supreme one day.
That day is not today.
ARM already dominates the mobile market (95+% share), if that counts.

(06-29-2017, 03:34 AM)LambdaPI Wrote: [ -> ]3 operand machines are the shit.
I agree. Writing MIPS is so nice because 3 operands and plenty of registers to play with, without the weird x86 register quirks.
(07-05-2017, 06:54 AM)͝ ͟ ͜ Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-28-2017, 09:43 PM)Noorquacker Wrote: [ -> ]My money's on that ARM is eventually going to become supreme one day.
That day is not today.
ARM already dominates the mobile market (95+% share), if that counts.

(06-29-2017, 03:34 AM)LambdaPI Wrote: [ -> ]3 operand machines are the shit.
I agree. Writing MIPS is so nice because 3 operands and plenty of registers to play with, without the weird x86 register quirks.

ARM does almost own the mobile market, especially since it's mainstream, but I think that in the far future x86 will be slowly phased out in favor of ARM-based desktops. They'll be more complex, for sure, but they'll probably become much more efficient than x86. Who knows, maybe ARM will join with quantum computers.
x86 has been around for almost 40 years. Even Intel tried to kill it (with Itanium which had some interesting ideas) but it refuses to die. I don't think it's going anywhere any time soon.
Thought this was applicable:

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/KrksBdWcZgQ[/video]
(09-07-2017, 03:20 AM)Nickster258 Wrote: [ -> ]Thought this was applicable:

--snip--

watched this the other day, I fucking love how he finds the length of an instruction with the page bounderies
truely impressive
just wanna bump because RIP cut
Pages: 1 2