Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Custom Mini-ITX case, thoughts? - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: General computing and engineering (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-66.html)
+--- Thread: Custom Mini-ITX case, thoughts? (/thread-9269.html)

Custom Mini-ITX case, thoughts? - LordDecapo - 02-01-2016

On Saturday I began designing a new custom cylindrical Mini-ITX case. I wanted a case that was unlike anything out there. This started after I rewatched Luke's Fallout Bomb case build on LTT YT. It is a semi-modular case which allows for the brushed aluminum shell to be slid off to reveal an internal support structure, to make upgrades and using it as a test bench easier. And YES it had built in supports to zip tie all wires to the side walls of the case to get them out of the way of airflow. (Case is highly airflow optimized)
It currently supports;
Any Mini-ITX MoBo (the backIO ports for which will be jumpered down to the bottom back side of the cylindrical case)
CPU cooler up to 70mm tall (60mm recommended for best air fow)
A GPU upto 10" long
2 laptop sized HDD's
2 SSD's
Any SFX power supply
Thin Slot load optical drive
2way Key switch for power/sleep
4 USB 3.0 ports + 2 thunderbolt ports + Headphone + mic (all on the top of the cylinder)
There will be RGB LED strip hidden under the vents, that will fade from Blue at idle temp, to red at high temps, and blink red if the CPU or GPU temps get dangerously high.
All of this in a cylinder 210mm diameter  and 390mm tall
Case will have 2 Noctua 140mm fans (1 pulling air in from vents on the lower portion of case, and 1 pulling air out at the top. These fans produce enough airflow and pressure to replace all the air in the MoBo/GPU area of the case about 3 times a second). Will also have a single 60mm Noctua fan to move air through the drive/psu area.
I only plan to have a GTX 960 and an I5 6600k in mine and I won't being doing that much OC, so I didn't add any water cooling Rad support, but it can be added simply.
My main reason for this post is to ask if anyone has any ideas of features that I missed that you think I should add, as well as ask if adding Rad support is a must or not. I have a group of 4 friends that will be buying one of these from me, so I want them to get a good bang for their buck.

RE: Custom Mini-ITX case, thoughts? - Nickster258 - 02-01-2016

SFX or XFX?

RE: Custom Mini-ITX case, thoughts? - LordDecapo - 02-01-2016

Sfx power supply, case design can be modified to fit a ATX power supply if I make the case 20mm taller..
I already decided to add height to case to get a bigger graphics card in there

RE: Custom Mini-ITX case, thoughts? - Nickster258 - 02-01-2016

Oh the size SFX. Okay.

RE: Custom Mini-ITX case, thoughts? - Apuly - 02-01-2016

1: fix the fucking font
2: just call 'em 2.5 inch hard drives
3: cables don't really effect the airflow (I'd refer you to linus on vessel, but if you don't have vessel you're fakd)

RE: Custom Mini-ITX case, thoughts? - LordDecapo - 02-02-2016

Pauly. U have no idea how much hate I got on a couple forums of people saying that case design and wire management are super difficult and I shouldn't even try it cause there's no way I could accommodate everything that is needed... which makes me law so hard.. xD it's a basic af thing to design. I'm sure anyone on ORE that has made a CPU, could build a computer case if they had the right tools

RE: Custom Mini-ITX case, thoughts? - newomaster - 02-03-2016

As someone who is currently designing a robot using CAD software: Did you design this case in CAD, and if so what software did you use? I've been using Solidworks for FRC.

RE: Custom Mini-ITX case, thoughts? - LordDecapo - 02-03-2016

I don't have the money for solidworks, nor do I have a school email to get a student edition (I cry over nine thousand times). So I use the pro lisence of OnShape, it's a solidworks clone.

Yes I am making this in there first, to make sure I have proper sizes and everythiny.
After i 3D prinnt a prototype, I'll be making this out of custom bent and cut sheet metal

RE: Custom Mini-ITX case, thoughts? - newomaster - 02-04-2016

Wow sweet! You're not bending/cutting the sheet metal yourself are you? I'm guessing you're outsourcing it right?