Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
QuartzPower, my first computer - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: QuartzPower, my first computer (/thread-703.html)

Pages: 1 2

QuartzPower, my first computer - EDevil - 08-06-2013

[Image: QuartzPower.jpg]
QuartzPower

Before we say anything
Thanks to everyone on ORE. Many of you gave me tips, whether i asked for it, or it was a spontaneous reaction. However, there are a couple of persons who deserve some extra credit, cause I've used some of their amazing devices. These persons are listed below;
  • Sw1Ftx16 - Program Counter
  • Newomaster - Binary -> BCD decoder
  • Embizone - 7 segment display
  • Nickster258 - dual read ram
Introduction
So, this is it. QuartzPower, my first computer in Minecraft, that actually works. I must say, after failing with 3 other ones in the past, this feels very satisfied Big Grin

Basic specs about the computer
  • 8 Bits
  • 31 Lines of ROM
  • TWAC instruction set
  • 7 Registers
  • 31 RAM slots
  • runs a.t.m. on a 0.5 Hz clock
Other information
So, i've made a full guide of this thing, that's on the MinecraftForums. This guide is very noobie orientated, and im pretty sure everyone on ORE could program this thing. I've hooked 3 7-seg's to it as well, so that anyone working with it wont need to read the output in binary. The computer is, as of 8-6-2013, programmed to preform the Fibonacci sequence.

Photo's & Warp information
[Image: ccyo.png]
The control room
[Image: dhba.png]
A complete overview of the Computer itself
[Image: ac10.png]
Another overview, with the 7-seg output
[Image: 8zd9.png]
The ALU, in it's full glory

/warp evil <- This will warp you to my plot. The computer will be floating on my plot, so just look up Big Grin

So, what now?
Well, im really happy how this worked out. Im very, very proud of my first computer, and that it's so powerful. So, if you enjoyed this article about QuartzPower, i would appreciate if you would give a rating to this thread, and if you might consider subscribing to my youtube channel.

Video
Yesterday i've created a video. Watch it here!

RE: QuartzPower, my first computer - Billman555555 - 08-06-2013

Nice EVil,
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........
Just a quick question; Do u want to help out on SAC?
If yes click here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1845495-sac-16-bit-super-advanced-computer/
If no click here: http://nolinkhere.org.au/nolinkhere/image/picsforfourms/nolink/error404

RE: QuartzPower, my first computer - CMOSprinkles - 08-07-2013

Hey, looks good! Is that a ULG I see in the ALU? I can't really get on the server to take a look, would you mind posting a little info about the components? Actually, even just the instruction set it runs would work since that would tell me what I want to know about the functionality.

*Ahem* Never mind, found the guide. Well, it's very impressive! I noticed you use 6 main functions in the ALU, I assume you intend to use inverting from there to make all 16 functions possible. Did you know that you can actually make all 16 functions possible using inverting with just an OR gate? It does add to the number of instructions required, but it might help to improve speed. I learned that from Guy's ALU, just thought I'd share, haha. Great job with the computer overall, 0.5 Hz is excellent for your first computer!

RE: QuartzPower, my first computer - EDevil - 08-07-2013

Thanks! Yea, i knew that, but i decided to only implement the functions i thought were useful (not that the implies gates are not useful, not at all, but i think their are less common (comment me on this one if you're think it's wrong)).

RE: QuartzPower, my first computer - Billman555555 - 08-07-2013

Can i input 11100000 as A and 10101010 as B and do !A and still get 00011111
<font colour = red><p>Hello</p>

RE: QuartzPower, my first computer - Guy1234567890 - 08-07-2013

Very nice :333333333333333

RE: QuartzPower, my first computer - CMOSprinkles - 08-08-2013

To perform "!A", you would take the "B -!-> A" (B NIMPLIES A) result and "OR" it with the "NOR" result. I'm not quite sure how this computer performs "B -!-> A", but if it has the ability to invert either the A or the B input and the output, then it should be able to invert the B input and the output of the AND result to achieve "B -!-> A". Not sure how you program that though.

(08-07-2013, 08:47 AM)EvilDevil59NL Wrote: Thanks! Yea, i knew that, but i decided to only implement the functions i thought were useful (not that the implies gates are not useful, not at all, but i think their are less common (comment me on this one if you're think it's wrong)).

I personally find IMPLIES and NIMPLIES gates to be very useful for getting the !A, !B, A, or B result. But maybe those aren't very useful functions either, haha...

RE: QuartzPower, my first computer - EDevil - 08-08-2013

[UPDATE] Added video

RE: QuartzPower, my first computer - Ntwede - 08-10-2013

Nice job, .5 Hz is better than anything I've done so far.

RE: QuartzPower, my first computer - Cutlassw30 - 08-12-2013

You say bits but thats incorrect. for example. your RAM has 8 bit data and 31 addresses that makes it 248 bits of RAM or 31 bytes