Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
How do you design new, faster, more parallel, etc designs? - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: How do you design new, faster, more parallel, etc designs? (/thread-6855.html)

How do you design new, faster, more parallel, etc designs? - AltruismAndCake - 06-26-2015

I've been doing ok with redstone, but I've been having trouble coming up with original or faster designs. It's kinda hard to enjoy redstone when everything you build is basically a cookie cutter design, with no personal originality to it. How do you guys come up with new designs? Is there anything that helps you come up with ideas? Anything that hinders new ideas?

RE: How do you design new, faster, more parallel, etc designs? - tokumei - 06-26-2015

+1 for this question; many people (like me) have difficulty coming up with new ideas. Part of it is that computer engineering has matured so much - nearly everything is based off of the same basic concepts nowadays. What I'd try to do is take a concept (for example, a motherboard-based computer) and try to tweak it. In implementation, it may be a success or a failure. However, you still found your own unique approach that you can be proud of.

RE: How do you design new, faster, more parallel, etc designs? - ddthj - 06-27-2015

<rant>
There is always IS design, because the construction of a CPU will vary quite a bit depending on what instructions you give it. If you want original designs, then do something that hasn't been done before but still has an application connected to cpu's. In my case, i needed a router that worked with my 5 bit 2t/b serial modems, so I made one myself after drawing out half a schematic. I'm sure there is still a lot to cover in the area of graphics as well, such as an easy way to display numbers/letters/shapes to a screen at the same time. If you are thinking about ALU's and such, look up different real-world adder designs and try them out, because there are several methods. Before comparators I never thought anything would replace ICA or PLA, and when CLE came out I figured surely that was it, but now more recently we have CCA. I know that someone was trying to make every type of adder once, but that was before comparators, so maybe some of those old designs can be enhanced.

I never run out of ideas because a long time ago I said 'I want to someday have cpu's that can download and run a 'multiplayer' game (and I'm pretty sure a lot of critics said 'glhf')' and everything I make is a way to get me one step closer to that goal, it's like everything I am going to make is already laid out in front of me, and I only need to come up with the fine details.
Also, the 2 biggest things that hinder designs <in my opinion> would be the critics and creativity.

Hope that answers something... </rant)

RE: How do you design new, faster, more parallel, etc designs? - PabloDons - 06-27-2015

The secret is having a goal, in my opinion. Like "I want to make a CLE adder that is 4 wide" or maybe "I want to make a 4 tick adder". Having a vague goal like making a CPU fast isn't going to help you because many CPU's already fit that description and so you'd be stupid not to include some parts of these designs.

RE: How do you design new, faster, more parallel, etc designs? - AltruismAndCake - 06-28-2015

Thanks for the answers guys, I really appreciate it Smile