Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Finally wanting to build my first PC - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: General computing and engineering (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-66.html)
+--- Thread: Finally wanting to build my first PC (/thread-6544.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Finally wanting to build my first PC - Xray_Doc - 05-22-2015

I've always used laptops, but I wanted to get ready for college (since I'm interested in majoring in hardware and software engineering) by getting a strong computer. This will be used for games, schoolwork, and software development. My budget, since it's for the next 5 years, is $3k. So, how is this?

(And linux fags just fuck off right now)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/XrayDoc/saved/6NsgXL

RE: Finally wanting to build my first PC - Nickster258 - 05-22-2015

Don't *need* anything that powerful if you are just doing basic things... but that is a powerful build.

You don't need to buy thermal paste separate also, the cooler comes with it IIRC.

RE: Finally wanting to build my first PC - Nuuppanaani - 05-22-2015

U neeed to go assrook for the fatherboard for linoox. /s

Damn those are some amazing specs. The case looks really plasticky and cheap IMO tho :p

RE: Finally wanting to build my first PC - Xray_Doc - 05-22-2015

I don't care the case looks badass, it reminded me of Big Boss's arm. I'm so hyped for MGSV. But someone told me NZXT Phantoms are fine and they have done reviews. Also thanks Nick you just saved me $5 lol.

Problem is I might be looking into software or hardware engineering as my major so I don't know how powerful of a computer I'll need. And if I decide hardware I'll already have a grasp on computer parts. Plus, I want this to last a very long time rather than change stuff out.

Updated it to be $400 less

RE: Finally wanting to build my first PC - tyler569 - 05-22-2015

Liquid cooler's just a waste of money, you don't need thermal paste, all coolers come with it either pre-applied or in a tube, do you *really* need a CD drive? No one actually uses those anymore, and if absolutely needed, you can borrow a USB one from someone. Rest looks alright.

Linux/FreeBSD though...

All seriousness, if you don't have an .edu yet, there are people who could get you a free copy of windows with theirs, I know I am capable of getting Windows keys for no charge on account of my being a computer major, so probably don't pay for that.

I buy CDs for music still, so I'll use it.

As for the thermal paste I've heard this kind is the best I can get, but if it comes with it I'll get rid of it.

Should I use the cooler or should I just get some fans?

I dont know anyone who has Windows 8.1, only 8 and 7. Can you actually provide me with one?

Also another bit, should I get a 1440p 144Hz monitor or 1080p 144Hz?

RE: Finally wanting to build my first PC - tyler569 - 05-22-2015

My personal cooler recommendation is a Hyper 212 EVO, you'll get comparable performance to the corsair for $25,

I can get you a key for any of those, an ISO as well if you really can't find one. It's a legit key, offered through DreamSpark and my university.

Do you *really* need 144Hz? That'll be a lot of expense for *very* little if any perceptible difference with respect to 120.

For that size monitor and performance the price looks really nice. Also I've researched reviews and it has good things. I'll stick with the one listed.

So if I get those fans, how many would you suggest? Sorry for so many questions, but I have no computers to base this off of.

Switched to a normal air fan since I'm not confident in experienced enough to deal with water cooling.