Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Let's... idk. - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Introductions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Let's... idk. (/thread-6058.html)

Let's... idk. - Hastumer - 03-28-2015

Hello guys. You probably know me from the server already, but here's a full "introduction of myself". I'm a 12 year old guy. I like learning new stuff, and also some stuff that is characteristic for me is: I make unfunny jokes, when someone makes a joke, my brain "plays" it all the time again and again so I have to laugh even a minute after someone said the joke. That is annoying, I know, but I can't stop it :/ Also 1 of my bookmarks in my browser is: Google translate, because I am a german student, who only knows the "school english". And school english is no good english. My grammar is not the best, feel free to correct me, so I can learn even better! :P I've built some stuff already, like ALUs and Counters, also a Connect-4, but only on this server, and most of it with new stuff that I've learned here. I also like programming, but the only languages I can really program are HTML and Batch... These are Scriptlanguages, I think, but idc :P So yeah. Feel free to ask if you want to know more, I have no problem with that!

RE: Let's... idk. - Nickster258 - 03-28-2015

"School English" is better than "normal English" since "normal English" has faaarrr to many slang terms used in speech and text.

Either way, welcome!

RE: Let's... idk. - PabloDons - 03-29-2015

(03-28-2015, 04:28 PM)Nickster258 Wrote: "School English" is better than "normal English" since "normal English" has faaarrr to many slang terms used in speech and text.

still though, learning a language the school way makes understanding speech and speaking much harder than if you learned it from your surroundings. Think of Spanish for instance, most people learn it in school in their teenage years. I find myself translating more than understanding that language. I hear a sentence, translate it in my head (mostly word by word), attempts to understand what it means, thinks of a response, translate response back into Spanish, then reply. That is really inconvenient.

The topic of language is pretty interesting actually, to think why not everyone speaks the same language is pretty astonishing. It is great to get to know about you though, Hast. glad to have you on board.

RE: Let's... idk. - Hastumer - 04-02-2015

Thanks guys Big Grin

RE: Let's... idk. - LordDecapo - 04-02-2015

(03-29-2015, 11:33 AM)PabloDons Wrote:
(03-28-2015, 04:28 PM)Nickster258 Wrote: "School English" is better than "normal English" since "normal English" has faaarrr to many slang terms used in speech and text.

still though, learning a language the school way makes understanding speech and speaking much harder than if you learned it from your surroundings. Think of Spanish for instance, most people learn it in school in their teenage years. I find myself translating more than understanding that language. I hear a sentence, translate it in my head (mostly word by word), attempts to understand what it means, thinks of a response, translate response back into Spanish, then reply. That is really inconvenient.

The topic of language is pretty interesting actually, to think why not everyone speaks the same language is pretty astonishing. It is great to get to know about you though, Hast. glad to have you on board.

well this was way more philosophical then i expected to see here XD
but i do agree, like when i hear english (1st lang) my brain just knows the meanings, but the little spanish i do know, i have to translate like that in my head, sucks, which is why i dont learn new lang. that well xD
#derail

RE: Let's... idk. - Hastumer - 04-04-2015

(04-02-2015, 08:45 PM)LordDecapo Wrote:
(03-29-2015, 11:33 AM)PabloDons Wrote:

well this was way more philosophical then i expected to see here XD
but i do agree, like when i hear english (1st lang) my brain just knows the meanings, but the little spanish i do know, i have to translate like that in my head, sucks, which is why i dont learn new lang. that well xD
#derail

I don't translate the words in my head. I just hear them and know: Tree means Baum without translating Wink

RE: Let's... idk. - tokumei - 04-06-2015

(04-04-2015, 07:42 PM)Hastumer Wrote: I don't translate the words in my head. I just hear them and know

Same. I've learned both english and spanish since I was a toddler. There are times when I will have to translate a word, but for the most part, spanish is second-nature to me because it was always spoken in my house.