Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
introduction post - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Introductions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: introduction post (/thread-5820.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: introduction post - greatgamer34 - 02-17-2015

BTW everyone here is well educated in computer science/engineering, if you need any help just post your question on the forum. You should invest in MC for the desktop so you can join our server!

RE: introduction post - PabloDons - 02-17-2015

Alright I think I got the hang of that machine, wanna explain your problem?

RE: introduction post - martin of redwall - 02-17-2015

ok here is my problem
my "decoders" are huge 10 wide 7 deep and 6 tall and they are not stackable. they work by using
t flip flops in series that hold the next one on till the pervious one it turned on. this makes it so a certain permutation is required. im using a three input system. there are 12 permutaions therefor i need 12 decoders. i want a 90 input system that would require 117480 decoders that just for the permutations of combining three of each input out of 90. then i would need decoders for two inputs thats another 4005 decoders and well even thats way to much. its important i use the permutations because if someone steps on a pressure plate then another the machine (as you seem to call it) needs to know which direction. so input 1 then input 2 or was it input 2 then input 1. so the permutatutions are (1,2) or (2,1) i need a smaller component that can detect which permutation was used. my decoders can only detect one so i need a decoder for each permutation.
even a 5 input system would reqiure 80 decoders. and im currently designing it but some decoders will be in unloaded chucks. (redstone repeats and compartators dont freeze in unloaded chucks like on pc unless thats been fixed) but if i do get MC for PC ill want to transfer the machine.
problem two: i just dont feel like its quite right. i mean my design is simple i was wondering what could be added to make it more complex and adaptive. i made a very efficient timer wanted to use it to deteremine speed of the intruder. but that would require a seperate module to interpert that data. and i have yet to come up with any solution.
notes: on the 90 input system these will be the inputs sunload detector, rain detector (got design form youtube), trip wire, pressure plates, blast detection (can show diagram), and a few proximity sensors.
outputs: note block and lamps for indication of intruders and where they are, pistions to seal door ways, tnt (for outside detections), despensers, and fall traps. as well as any suggetions.
basically the problem is size. also i dont really know a lot of computer science lingo so try to either explain or hyperlink the term to a website that explains it. (or i can just google it) i also feel that telling you how i work out redstone would be helpful.
i see redstone as this: if i want something on it will need a signal, and if i want a order i have to find the correct pattern of on/off weather they are in parrallel, series. or series parallel. i just tell myself what i want and formulate a input system, then a curciut or compnent that allows my output control the way i need it. (hope that makes since). and tahnks for your help.

So in really short u want a decoder to detect what order a pair of pressure plates where pressed? (If its 1 then 2 or 2 then 1) but you need it to be small because you have 90 inputs and detecting each pattern is like (90!) Decoders. am I correct? In which case I'll see what I can do and try build one that is stackable and don't need 100 million other decoders, hopefully some other members might help out as well

(02-17-2015, 12:06 PM)PabloDons Wrote: So in really short u want a decoder to detect what order a pair of pressure plates where pressed? (If its 1 then 2 or 2 then 1) but you need it to be small because you have 90 inputs and detecting each pattern is like (90!) Decoders. am I correct? In which case I'll see what I can do and try build one that is stackable and don't need 100 million other decoders, hopefully some other members might help out as well

That's very close, ill just clarify. i only need the permutations of combining three or two inputs together of the available 90 so for instance: (1,2,3) (37,41,23) and two inputs (1,2) (34,65) or expressed as (x,x) (x,x,x) X can be any number from 1 to 90 in any order. e.g. (1,2,3) (3,2,1) (2,1,3) and so on for all possible permutations within this expression.

RE: introduction post - Magic :^) - 02-17-2015

In this case, couldn't you encode the inputs as 7-bit numbers? (90 would fit in a 7-bit value)
You could then connect the 2-3 7-bit numbers together as a 21-bit unique value which represents the input state.
you could encode the inputs from the values 0000001 to 1011010 (1 to 90)
and you could treat no input as value 0000000

Then you can create codes like this, treated as 21 bit values:

2, 4, 90: 1011010 0000100 0000010

6, 32: 0000000 0100000 0000110

note that the numbers are pushed in from the right, so that in a 2-input combination it will be nice and neat with the leading zeroes Tongue

(02-17-2015, 05:39 PM)The Magical Gentleman Wrote: In this case, couldn't you encode the inputs as 7-bit numbers? (90 would fit in a 7-bit value)
You could then connect the 2-3 7-bit numbers together as a 21-bit unique value which represents the input state.
you could encode the inputs from the values 0000001 to 1011010 (1 to 90)
and you could treat no input as value 0000000

Then you can create codes like this, treated as 21 bit values:

2, 4, 90: 1011010 0000100 0000010

6, 32: 0000000 0100000 0000110

note that the numbers are pushed in from the right, so that in a 2-input combination it will be nice and neat with the leading zeroes Tongue
i tried to find a way to turn binary into output but have no idea programming and binary/hexadecimal is out of my ability as i don't have any training or schooling in this area. i only have a very high education in electrical and electronic diagnostic on automotive and diesel engines. (which now a days is pretty complex) if you have a youtube video or diagram i could fallow to get an idea of how to do it that would be great. i know logic gates and simple computer components. any help is welcome thanks

binary is pretty simple. in really really short it is counting with just 1's and 0's.
in school you have probably learned that there are 10 different symbols: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.
let's say we have 4 bits: 0000. this is, as you might have guessed, 0.
counting up one we get 0001. as you might have already known from basic counting in school, zeros to the left of the number means nothing and can be removed to simplify. but in a computer you cannot remove them so we keep them.
now usually what comes next is a 2, but we only have 0's and 1's. Now what comes after a 9? 10!
counting up again we get 0010. we have only counted twice so that is a 2 in binary.
then so on and so forth.
the first bit is the one that has the smallest value, or in other words, the least significant bit.
that bit has the value 1 in our case. now going up the next bit has the value 2 or in binary a 10. the next has the value 4 or in binary 100. you can calculate the bit value with the formula 2^n where n is the bit number.

the reason people use binary instead of decimal is because redstone wire has 2 states: on or off (or with other words 1 or 0). you can use hexadecimal (base 16) because signal strength can have 16 different values. but that is using comparators

(02-17-2015, 07:34 PM)PabloDons Wrote: binary is pretty simple. in really really short it is counting with just 1's and 0's.
in school you have probably learned that there are 10 different symbols: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.
let's say we have 4 bits: 0000. this is, as you might have guessed, 0.
counting up one we get 0001. as you might have already known from basic counting in school, zeros to the left of the number means nothing and can be removed to simplify. but in a computer you cannot remove them so we keep them.
now usually what comes next is a 2, but we only have 0's and 1's. Now what comes after a 9? 10!
counting up again we get 0010. we have only counted twice so that is a 2 in binary.
then so on and so forth.
the first bit is the one that has the smallest value, or in other words, the least significant bit.
that bit has the value 1 in our case. now going up the next bit has the value 2 or in binary a 10. the next has the value 4 or in binary 100. you can calculate the bit value with the formula 2^n where n is the bit number.

the reason people use binary instead of decimal is because redstone wire has 2 states: on or off (or with other words 1 or 0). you can use hexadecimal (base 16) because signal strength can have 16 different values. but that is using comparators
i know about that part its just the part about how to turn it into a output i tired logic gates like in a computer processor but they have millions even billions of transistors

RE: introduction post - Legofreak - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 08:05 PM)martin of redwall Wrote: i know about that part its just the part about how to turn it into a output i tired logic gates like in a computer processor but they have millions even billions of transistors

millions and billions isnt a requirement though. you can usually get the job done(even if slowly) with much less; tens or hundreds of logic gates.