Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
My first word processor - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Projects & Inventions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-19.html)
+---- Forum: Completed Projects (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-21.html)
+---- Thread: My first word processor (/thread-58.html)

My first word processor - EDevil - 04-20-2013

So, i've posted this topic about 2 weeks ago on the RDF forum's, and i didn 't get a lot of feedback from it. So, i've simply copy / pasted this thing over from the old forums to this one, and i'm wondering what you guys think of it. The project isn't on the server yet, but i've PM'ed Mort with a link to the schematic, so it should be on the server pretty soon Big Grin.

introduction
So, this is my first word processor ever made. I've got some inspiration from RSW's video, and decided to make my own. Keep in mind that i wasn't going for speed or making it ultra compact, i was trying to create one of the most easy word processors out there. I think i've done a great job with keeping it simple, but you guys can discuss that in the comments down below. Right now, i've created it to hold a maximum of 40 different characters, including 2 "custom caracter" selections. The system has a total of 10 character displays, but do to the easy bus layout, you could build, lets say, 3 extra screens in less than 10 minutes. However, in my opinion 10 screens is more than enough to mess around with.

Technical stuff
The Decoder
This is RandOMFG's design. Like it a lot, its fast, compact & simple. Therefore i decided to use it in my build. The decoder takes the 6-bit signal from the different inputs & converts it to a individual number, which is connected to each individual "character bank".
The screens
Nothing fancy here. Like you would expect; 2x2 pixel display, each display is 7x5 pixels. Add some RS-Nor latches, and you've got a screen.
The screen selection system
Instead of using fancy counters & all of that stuff, i kinda cheated and used a bit shifter. Works great, since it can shift left / right, you can add spaces, or "backspace".
The other function buttons
Clear all screens: Self explaning. Reset wire to all the screens and will also set the bit shifter to 0, making the system start on the first screen again.
Clear selected screen: This signal is going to all screens as well, but goes through a AND gate together with the output of the bit shifter. Making it "IF the reset button is pressed AND IF the screen is selected" than the screen will be cleared.
Previous screen: Bit shifter shifts bit to the left.
Next screen, or "space": Bit shifter shifts bit to the right.

Youtube
For those who are interested, i've created a video about this thing.

Color explanation
Orange: Input ROM
Brown: Just bussing, nothing special
Cobblestone: The bus that goes to all different screens
Yellow: Le decoder
Green: All the characters. Super simple, you just gotta make your letter with torches.
Blue: Timing circuit. It will block "dirty" results from the decoder and send the correct data to the screens.
Pink: Screen selection system
Red: Anything to do with resetting / clearing screens

Pictures
Since my last post whas quite a bit to large with 6 photos, i decided to post the link to the complete album here, so that the post won't be to big.
Link to the photo album

Thanks for reading my thread. I would appreciate a positive feedback, and maybe some ideas for V2 Big Grin.

RE: My first word processor - redstonewarrior - 04-21-2013

Dear god this is sexy. Excellent work Evil. For V2, perhaps create a memory bank that you can save, load, and transfer from.
Minecraft IDE? Heh.

RE: My first word processor - EDevil - 04-21-2013

(04-21-2013, 03:36 AM)redstonewarrior Wrote: Dear god this is sexy. Excellent work Evil. For V2, perhaps create a memory bank that you can save, load, and transfer from.
Minecraft IDE? Heh.

Haha, thanks!

RE: My first word processor - Guy1234567890 - 04-28-2013

Very sexy indeed!