Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-102.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress (/thread-5767.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - Nuuppanaani - 04-03-2015

(04-02-2015, 12:32 PM)tyler569 Wrote:
(04-02-2015, 10:33 AM)paulydboy Wrote: Maybe it's possible for staff members to be auto-vanished after a while?
Maybe?
Possibly?

That's kind of defeating the point that AFKers are wasting server bandwidth, plus people would then have an incentive to afk, so that they could listen in covertly on conversations.

Also, to go back a few, may I point out that if it takes you an hour to take a dump, you need to get more fiber in your diet, it's not supposed to take that long.

Friking Reddit, man!

I hate getting kicked while supervising the chat, and that's kind of my job. Maybe staff needs to be able to disable afk kicks manually?

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - Nickster258 - 04-03-2015

* Nickster258 thinks people are ignoring half of the statements he has already made.

Staff wont get kicked, just auto-afked.

Members / all else will get kicked after an hour.

Our chat plugin is most intensive right at the beginning since that is how Top processes if a plugin is "intensive', by how much CPU processing time it takes. Since all we really did was chat and slowly build spawn, no other plugins were doing anything relatively. When using essentials chat it was the same way.

When the server is to be released there will be other plugins taking its place.

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - Nuuppanaani - 04-03-2015

(04-03-2015, 01:51 PM)Nickster258 Wrote: Staff wont get kicked, just auto-afked.

Just as Lord said, this leads to 5 admins being afk on the server. I think they should get afk kicked if they're actually afk. (With 1 hour afk kicks this isn't really a problem, it's rare someone stays quiet/not moving for that long. But school has a 5 min afk kick timer atm :/)

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - Nickster258 - 04-03-2015

OP admins don't get kicked. What we can do is not make every admin OP.

For me being AFK is not a problem, but it is for many others.

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - tyler569 - 04-03-2015

(04-03-2015, 03:49 PM)Nickster258 Wrote: What we can do is not make every admin OP.

Really, no one should be OP if we actually took the time to make permissions that make sense (no, not "*", there are some things that should be relegated to the extra security console gives)

But that's effort.

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - PabloDons - 04-05-2015

(04-03-2015, 04:51 PM)tyler569 Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 03:49 PM)Nickster258 Wrote: What we can do is not make every admin OP.

Really, no one should be OP if we actually took the time to make permissions that make sense (no, not "*", there are some things that should be relegated to the extra security console gives)

But that's effort.

idk what should be replaced by using console, but it is as simple as adding the node after a dash to remove it's use ("-essentials.afk.kickexempt" for instance).
either way, IRC is by my opinion the best way to monitor chat. requires much less CPU intensity, you can search through it, and there are by no doubt some clients that write logs (not that it is needed, but might be useful).

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - Nickster258 - 04-05-2015

Once we finalize on the channel and the change is finished, I will be using an irc client on my phone so I am always there when someone addresses me.

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - Apuly - 04-05-2015

(04-05-2015, 09:12 PM)PabloDons Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 04:51 PM)tyler569 Wrote:

But that's effort.

idk what should be replaced by using console, but it is as simple as adding the node after a dash to remove it's use ("-essentials.afk.kickexempt" for instance).
either way, IRC is by my opinion the best way to monitor chat. requires much less CPU intensity, you can search through it, and there are by no doubt some clients that write logs (not that it is needed, but might be useful).

Tay is not referring to just one change in the staff perms, he's referring to a complete redesign of what staff actually is, where commands that can be vulnerable are removed, so that if somebody logs in with the account of a staff member, he can't fuck up everything.

I must say, I agree with everything that tay said in his post.

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - Nickster258 - 04-05-2015

My only problem with that is that if staff cannot be trusted with the responsibility of those commands, what's the point of them being staff? It makes sense to limit it but when all staff harness the power to change literally everything for ORE, I don't see the need for regulating staff perms.

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - tyler569 - 04-05-2015

It's not a question of trust, it's a question of making people think about what they're typing. It's the same reason everyone recommends you use your shell as a normal user and sudo when you need it, so you don't accidentally fuck shit up without thinking about consequences.