Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-102.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress (/thread-5767.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - LordDecapo - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 10:33 AM)paulydboy Wrote: Maybe it's possible for staff members to be auto-vanished after a while?
Maybe?
Possibly?

i thought of that too, it's a good idea

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - tyler569 - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 10:33 AM)paulydboy Wrote: Maybe it's possible for staff members to be auto-vanished after a while?
Maybe?
Possibly?

That's kind of defeating the point that AFKers are wasting server bandwidth, plus people would then have an incentive to afk, so that they could listen in covertly on conversations.

Also, to go back a few, may I point out that if it takes you an hour to take a dump, you need to get more fiber in your diet, it's not supposed to take that long.

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - PabloDons - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 12:32 PM)tyler569 Wrote: to go back a few, may I point out that if it takes you an hour to take a dump, you need to get more fiber in your diet, it's not supposed to take that long.

dood, you don't need to attack me like that. I know taking a dump doesn't take this much time. Either way, being afk doesn't take much bandwidth or resources. standing still DOES keep chunks loaded, it DOES take up some bandwidth, but it isn't much of a hassle. most likely nothing is happening in these chunks worth mentioning (chunk updates) and it takes pretty much no data at all to keep someone connected to the server. I would guess around a few hundreds of Kib/s up/down unless people are around the afk player. keeping players vanished instead is much better because then they can (possibly) react if someone is asking for help.

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - Apuly - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 12:32 PM)tyler569 Wrote:
Maybe?
Possibly?

That's kind of defeating the point that AFKers are wasting server bandwidth, plus people would then have an incentive to afk, so that they could listen in covertly on conversations.

yadayada

I honestly don't remember that bandwidth was really an issue, at least not until now in the discussion.
I thought the main problem was that people tried to interact with admins, while they weren't actually there to interact with.

Also, if we simply limit the auto-vanish to the staff team, which I suggested in the first place, the extra used bandwidth is fairly limited (I think), so that shouldn't be much of an issue (I think).

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - Nickster258 - 04-02-2015

The only players to be vanished would be the staff. All others will face the one hour AFK kick time and the 5 minute AFK timer.

At the moment, though, I am to busy with making everything work seemlessly so the vanishish staff will be added later.

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - tokumei - 04-02-2015

Also, in the new update there will be afk indicators in the tab menu and /list.

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - PabloDons - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 10:50 PM)NonemuNinja Wrote: Also, in the new update there will be afk indicators in the tab menu and /list.

About that, DJ, it seems that the plugin used for this to work is the current most intensive plugin on the test server with double that of the second most intensive plugin being essentials if I remember correctly. What might happen is we drop it, which means no afk indicators.

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - tokumei - 04-03-2015

Still, we can use the essentials /list to do that anyway. Atl we can do that now.

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - slugdude - 04-03-2015

(04-02-2015, 11:50 PM)PabloDons Wrote:
(04-02-2015, 10:50 PM)NonemuNinja Wrote: Also, in the new update there will be afk indicators in the tab menu and /list.

About that, DJ, it seems that the plugin used for this to work is the current most intensive plugin on the test server with double that of the second most intensive plugin being essentials if I remember correctly. What might happen is we drop it, which means no afk indicators.

Twist: It's actually not very intensive.

Its just that our plugin takes the overall processor time. The plugin needs lots to start up, but after a /reload it shows that dynmap is actually more intensive.

RE: ORE 1.8 Server Development Progress - LordDecapo - 04-03-2015

#even2ndmostusedprocessortimeisstillwaytointesiveforasimplenametaginatabmenu