Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
JISA: Jallenator Instruction Set Assembler - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Projects & Inventions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-19.html)
+---- Forum: In Progress (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-20.html)
+---- Thread: JISA: Jallenator Instruction Set Assembler (/thread-5756.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: JISA: Jallenator Instruction Set Assembler - Magic :^) - 02-10-2015

(02-10-2015, 12:34 PM)LordDecapo Wrote: Lol so the coding for "next line" will be a tad more annoying.

lol tell me about it, my prom uses torches OR repeaters at different bits, and which one is used is staggered awkwardly aswell xD

RE: JISA: Jallenator Instruction Set Assembler - tokumei - 02-11-2015

It would be nice to have native ./autoprogram support Smile

RE: JISA: Jallenator Instruction Set Assembler - Jallen - 02-11-2015

(02-11-2015, 03:55 PM)DJ8X Wrote: It would be nice to have native ./autoprogram support Smile

The only problem is that everyone (as you can see from this thread) has different ROM configurations so adding native support would mean a different section of code for everyone's CPU. I'd be willing to help out anyone who was going to make a parser but adding it into the script would be impractical.

RE: JISA: Jallenator Instruction Set Assembler - LordDecapo - 02-12-2015

It would be easier just to make a filter program to turn the binary assembly into autoprogram
hell, have the program prompt for the variables it needs to generate the autoprogram, then have it just do a final pass to convert it the last bit. But I would still want the plane binary output as well

RE: JISA: Jallenator Instruction Set Assembler - Jallen - 02-12-2015

I'd rather just focus on getting the assembler itself going with as much functionality as possible before adding another stage. At the moment I'm looking for the ability to split variables across the instruction (e.g. if you had your op code in two halves at either end of your bit layout or something). Also I want to add the ability to place the instruction keyword anywhere in the line rather than always at the start. I'd like to actually have a chat with a few people about what features they would find important for their instruction set and also the actual layout of the .yaml file. There is a lot that can be improved on and a lot will change over time. For now, it should work for simply laid out ISs but I don't want that to be the only case it will work in.

RE: JISA: Jallenator Instruction Set Assembler - Magic :^) - 02-12-2015

Could I also suggest supporting optional arguments in an instruction?

For example, I have an instruction where 1 bit decides wether or not to invert a register value.
At the moment I can have an argument to specify wether or not to invert, but It's kinda awkward how I have to say when I DON'T want it inverted too.

e.g. I'd like to be able to define an instruction that could take such combinations:

ld r1 r2
ld r1 ! r2
ld r1 r2 !
ld r1 ! r2 !

Another suggestion would be to allow the counting of address lines and a little bit of macro, so you could do this:

ld r1 r2

#loopstart

add r1

jmp $loopstart

RE: JISA: Jallenator Instruction Set Assembler - LordDecapo - 02-12-2015

Address line counting as mentioned by mag... would be amazing

RE: JISA: Jallenator Instruction Set Assembler - Jallen - 02-12-2015

(02-12-2015, 11:16 AM)The Magical Gentleman Wrote: ld r1 r2
ld r1 ! r2
ld r1 r2 !
ld r1 ! r2 !

you could make custom arguments for something line '!r1' instead of having a separate thing then use a var and have one possibility being a normal register (like 'r1') and that puts a 0 in the signifier bit and the reg value in the next bits and the other possibility being the custom argument with a 1 in the signifier bit and then the value you assigned in your definition.

I agree it's a bit of an ugly solution but it's the best I've got at the moment Tongue

As for the addressing and referencing, I love that. It's definitely top of the TODO list.

RE: JISA: Jallenator Instruction Set Assembler - Jallen - 02-23-2015

*UPDATE* See original post

RE: JISA: Jallenator Instruction Set Assembler - fuirippu - 02-23-2015

Hi Jallen,

If I understand: I write an IS.yaml file, provide an input file (a program in my custom assembly-language), and the python program will output the assembled machine code.

A custom assembler would be a very handy tool to have. This is a nice service to the community, props to you.

I have a question/feature request:
Can the tool include line numbers, and the assembly instructions in its output?

With this, the output would be in 3 columns, and might look something like...

00 # 00101101 # LDX $01,$11
01 # 00111000 # LDY $00,$10
.... and so on....

<excuse the bad formatting, I can't work html>
<arbitrary spacing/separator, hopefully you get the idea>

Cheers,