Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Word processor V2 - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Projects & Inventions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-19.html)
+---- Forum: In Progress (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-20.html)
+---- Thread: Word processor V2 (/thread-53.html)

Word processor V2 - EDevil - 04-19-2013

So, i was thinking about building my 2nd word processor, and i've got a couple ideas for it, one of which i want to talk primarily in this post about.

Okay, so obviously the standard improvement goals; making it faster, smaller, create more functions, etc. However, what i was thinking about is creating the first (correct me here if i'm wrong) word processor which can preform actual cut / copy / pasting. So, this means (i think, thats why im posting this) that i'll need a 4-way shifter, cause i think i'm gonna build 3 rows (possible 2) and around 8 character columns, so that means if a cut / copy / paste operation occurs from the 1 row to the 3rd row, and then moving it 2 character positions to the right, it will be needed to shift 4 ways.

So, since i do not have ANY experience with 'flat' screens & pixels, and i don't really want to build something massive and then figuring out that it actually doesn't work, do you guys have any tips & tricks that i could use? You got a idea how to implement a handy storage configuration? Or the screen setup? Tips are appreciated! (Thats why i've created the post... XD)

RE: Word processor V2 - Nickster258 - 04-19-2013

I got a nice qwerty keyboard you can use! Already bussed and encoded!

RE: Word processor V2 - EDevil - 04-20-2013

(04-19-2013, 09:51 PM)Nickster258 Wrote: I got a nice qwerty keyboard you can use! Already bussed and encoded!
That would be awsome Nick! Thanks!

RE: Word processor V2 - Nickster258 - 04-20-2013

I can try to upload it onto ORE so you can see it later.

RE: Word processor V2 - EDevil - 04-20-2013

sure, that would be nice

RE: Word processor V2 - redstonewarrior - 04-21-2013

This is a great project, and I have worked on similar pieces in the past. I recommend you create a simple interface / system for adding functions, maybe even saving space by using a small CPU and some ROM for functions. With this, you could define a functional language system that is extremely extendible. Then again, a lisp unit can be made much more simply. :3

RE: Word processor V2 - PsychoGear - 05-24-2013

(04-21-2013, 03:39 AM)redstonewarrior Wrote: This is a great project, and I have worked on similar pieces in the past. I recommend you create a simple interface / system for adding functions, maybe even saving space by using a small CPU and some ROM for functions. With this, you could define a functional language system that is extremely extendible. Then again, a lisp unit can be made much more simply. :3

You kinda lost me at "small CPU".. Undecided

My brother and I made a word processor as our first real project. It didn't use any such stuff as CPU, or whatever... (at least I don't think so. I don't even know what most of this stuff does Huh).
We also made a second, much more advanced version. It was huuuge >.<

I'd really like to see how much space can be saved this way.

RE: Word processor V2 - David - 05-26-2013

(05-24-2013, 10:52 PM)PsychoGear Wrote:
(04-21-2013, 03:39 AM)redstonewarrior Wrote: This is a great project, and I have worked on similar pieces in the past. I recommend you create a simple interface / system for adding functions, maybe even saving space by using a small CPU and some ROM for functions. With this, you could define a functional language system that is extremely extendible. Then again, a lisp unit can be made much more simply. :3

You kinda lost me at "small CPU".. Undecided

My brother and I made a word processor as our first real project. It didn't use any such stuff as CPU, or whatever... (at least I don't think so. I don't even know what most of this stuff does Huh).
We also made a second, much more advanced version. It was huuuge >.<

I'd really like to see how much space can be saved this way.

ALOOOT of space can be saved, I know why but I'm not sure how to explain it

RE: Word processor V2 - seankingman - 05-27-2013

That's a great idea, Evil! The shifters I used in my GPU/Graphics Processor (coined 'The Massive Screen') can do just that, but very badly. The way I did it was to have separate bi-directional shifters on both the x and y axis'. It works but can only shift one line of pixels at a time so it is very slow and tedious. Check out my plot to see it for yourself. Smile

RE: Word processor V2 - EDevil - 05-28-2013

(05-27-2013, 09:00 AM)seankingman Wrote: That's a great idea, Evil! The shifters I used in my GPU/Graphics Processor (coined 'The Massive Screen') can do just that, but very badly. The way I did it was to have separate bi-directional shifters on both the x and y axis'. I works but can only shift one line of pixels at a time so it is very slow and tedious. Check out my plot to see it for yourself. Smile

I'll sure do!