Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Overhauling my GUI - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Projects & Inventions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-19.html)
+---- Forum: In Progress (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-20.html)
+---- Thread: Overhauling my GUI (/thread-5132.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Overhauling my GUI - Apocryphan - 12-02-2014

Cool, very subtle way of saying "welcome to last year" lol and i feel your pain about manually coding signals.

World Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/plttbgribz959do/modular%20display.zip?dl=0

Schematic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k840fg9mvyis1hi/4x16%20gui.schematic?dl=0

I added some circuits to the world download that i thought may be useful.

-2 way looping shifting memory cell
-2 way looping adjustable memory cell
-another hex to binary converter that's 1 shorter and without dropper hoppers
-various decoders to pull specific parts of the signal
-decimal rca
-hopper dropper decoder that can trigger for 0

RE: Overhauling my GUI - Legofreak - 12-02-2014

I'll have to give it a look when I get home. I'm curious to see if your shifting memory is better than mine. lol.

I'm also wondering what you mean by "various decoders to pull specific parts of the signal"
Edit: I assume its something like this
[Image: lastdetector2_zps36e9df33.png]

Nope my 1way looping shifting memory cell is shown in the first pic of this thread, i called it the jpeg file, it stores signal strength and shifts all the cells to the right and sends the last one to the start, solid state and rewriteable, i made a 2 way model thats only slightly wider, but if you dont mind pistons i have a seamless tilable you may like.

RE: Overhauling my GUI - Legofreak - 12-03-2014

I don't know if you intended this but I your lime green looping shifter shifts endlessly if all of the cells have a value in them. the line that loops back feeds back into the shift function.

also, your hex to binary design is very creative. I was wondering what the hopper droppers were for. now i know.

I didnt see anything that looked like an RCA but i might not have gone far enough.

You really should try joining the server. I have some designs that i think you might like.

RE: Overhauling my GUI - Apocryphan - 12-03-2014

(12-03-2014, 03:15 AM)RekcirBrickeR Wrote: I don't know if you intended this but I your lime green looping shifter shifts endlessly if all of the cells have a value in them. the line that loops back feeds back into the shift function.

also, your hex to binary design is very creative. I was wondering what the hopper droppers were for. now i know.

I didnt see anything that looked like an RCA but i might not have gone far enough.
You really should try joining the server. I have some designs that i think you might like.

The forever loop was intentional, did you notice the pattern that's saved? I might have mislabeled my calculator cell, but its a memory cell that adds signal strength values and rewrites the cell with the proper carry over and triggers a +1 to the next calculator cell, i designed each cell to be a decimal place, I even made a compact signal strength numpad for 0-9 with 6 extra buttons for + - / * Clear and =. I've got albums on all of these. And as for joining the server, ive got a few questions and quarrels about it, how are plots picked (size and location)? Because i build and improve alot in a day. And my quarrel with applying is this, why make me study and regurgitate something I've premade, when you can see my progress over a year, I dont claim to know it all, but I have a good comprehension of redstone and signal manipulation, it's as easy as algebra to me, but honestly when the forum application asked me how many bits are in a byte, i felt mentally challenged having to look it up since i it's been 11 years since i learned that.

But on the other hand, you seem like someone i want to be like, in a completely different way. But what do think is good enough to pass the ORE fancy test? Http://Apocryphan.imgur.com

RE: Overhauling my GUI - Legofreak - 12-03-2014

Sounds like your calculator functions just like my multiplier. Its really just a sequential adder. I never added more functions. I want to figure out division but I'm too lazy... lol

Plots are 16x16 chunks and you choose an empty plot yourself.

I agree the application process is a bit tedious. It just helps prove that you can actually make something that works. Pretty much anything moderately complex that uses logic(emphasis on logic). They recently stopped accepting RCA ALUs just because they were too common. My trial build was binary to hex conversion sent over a serial line and converted back to binary. I still had a lot of time left so the guy had me figure out a hex counter, which I actually hadn't done before but I got it working. If you can one-up that, I'm pretty confident you could get in.

There aren't very many people on the server that use comparators as much as I do. It would be nice to have another comparator addict to build with.

Also, the server has worldedit for members and the ability to save and import/export schematics.

RE: Overhauling my GUI - Apocryphan - 12-04-2014

have you checked out the list of imgur albums? i know there are a few things that may peak your interest, and are there any plots near yours? I always feel bad for my neighbors on smp, they always move in and make a fancy looking mud hut, then go to meet their neighbor and see that it's painted Red from wall to wall with comparators. And I remember how i first viewed comparators as wtf do i use this for? but then once you dabble and learn that it's all about signal manipulation, you can't look at a repeater the same, unless it has 3 torches on it, it's just for 2 bit guys. but i guess i'll apply now and wander the server a bit, maybe search for the 3 horned unicorns.

RE: Overhauling my GUI - Legofreak - 12-04-2014

yeah I was impressed by the hex hard drives. I only ever went as far as 1kb but yours are almost 4 times more. although, you mention in the notes that you only use 1-15. I try to use 0-15 when I can.

but don't expect just memory to impress who is giving you a trial. It looks like you have plenty of awesome things to do.

RE: Overhauling my GUI - Apocryphan - 12-04-2014

It's funny that you mention the hard drive and the 1-15, because ive already thought of 3the improvements for it, and i thought about implementing them for the test. I can have a 0 cell trigger now so it will be the full 4 bit, i want to make it solid state too, which is a little trickier but ive figured out how, and i want to upgrade its function to store 2 or 4 hex values for every cell address and have the trigger on the read signal pass through and become the trigger for the output signal, so that it can be used for thisdisplay.