Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Ideas for server rules - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-102.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Ideas for server rules (/thread-4975.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Ideas for server rules - greatgamer34 - 10-29-2014

Anyone who is editing this. Lets hold off as there is a debate in te R-box rightnow. Plus it is a little lengthy. Dont delete anything either. My apologies.

RE: Ideas for server rules - TSO - 10-29-2014

I already have a copy from 10/28/14 23:28 UTC-7 (The time I posted that I was done editing)

Now, as for what you are saying about "having to remember policy" because of the mathematical nature of the flow of the system, I am already creating a bash script for it. All that would happen is you would type status [option] [username] <warning content>; with options being -w for warn, -b for a specific immediate ban, -p for a permanent ban, -v,g,s,m,t,a ta assign usergroups, -r will revoke a ban, and -s for their current status information. I will make it so that a -p requires three separate administrators to authorize within a three day time span and -b brings up a ban dialogue and requires two administrators to create the same ban. You might also be able to directly execute this from the chat line in minecraft if I can learn plugin-fu, then the warning content immediately gets sent to the user from the chat line. If you were to not type the status command, nothing would happen to the user. You also can't war a user while they aren't online.

Again, as far as user rules are concerned, the only change to the rules are that you aren't allowed to lie to students. As far as administrators are concerned, those extra eight or nine key strokes will probably be enough to inhibit excessive warning it takes eight warnings to ban a user for three days, so I think the users will be just fine anyway. I could include a minimum time between warnings if you think it is needed.

If you want it to be even harder to ban a user, I could make the command require a bunch of extra characters no admin would remember, so they would have to go out of their way look them up in order to actually ban someone.

RE: Ideas for server rules - JeremyG - 10-29-2014

(10-29-2014, 05:54 PM)TSO Wrote: If you want it to be even harder to ban a user, I could make the command require a bunch of extra characters no admin would remember, so they would have to go out of their way look them up in order to actually ban someone.

Thus admins that are more ban-happy will be able to keep banning, and the admins who don't ban a lot will be able to ban less? Not sure if that's a good idea.

RE: Ideas for server rules - TSO - 10-29-2014

I don't know. I could keep it in the shell and not a plugin, that would also slow down banning.

But, as I said, to ban a user requires two different admins give identical bans (I'm thinking within a span of one day); so if you're a ban happy admin, you're going to have to team up with another ban happy admin and both pf you must agree that this ban will make you both feel happier and both agree on identical bans.

I can raise the number of required admins if needed, too.

The whole goal is to make banning structured, but warning convenient. If warnings accumulate to an automatic ban, two admins are still needed, but the ban will be based on the automatic duration.

RE: Ideas for server rules - LordDecapo - 10-29-2014

(10-29-2014, 04:09 PM)AltruismAndCake Wrote: LordDecapo/The Magical Gentleman - I agree strictness should be based to the case, but shouldn't there be a lower limit of antagonizing before a person gets banned?

The number of warnings I stated was a random number I said.
That is also a case by case. If a person gets a warning and They r a dick about the warning and start causing issues after that in a rude manner.. They may only get 1 or 2 warnings.

But if it's spamming "hoopla!" I'll warn them. And like say a ccouple hours later They spam someone's name to get there attention. And there response to the first warning is "sorry" then the second time They are like "oops my bad" I'm more likely to give them 3-4 warnings in a day before kicking them.

Also generally I kick and then give yet another Warning and an additional kick or 2 before a temp ban.. I like giving people the benefit of the doubt usually unless They are taking advantage of my lieniency.

Off to the Rbox I go!

RE: Ideas for server rules - AltruismAndCake - 10-29-2014

pablo - NP keep on chugging that train Big Grin. A few questions though.

1) first of all I don't want rules to be implemented because staff is surely capable of making decisions themselves. That's what I tried to point out.

I agree for most of the staff, but what about GG? (sorry about bringing it up GG) I think what he's looking for is a guideline he can follow so he knows how he should behave in cases where people agitate him personally. We tell him to follow the guidelines and when he ask how, do we just ignore the question?

2) About trying to crash the server, the guidelines are more than enough to deal with that. if you try to crash the server, you're being a dick and breaking multiple guidelines.

How about it breaks only one of the guidelines? Generally be kind to others. I'm getting that from http://openredstone.org/rules/ If it's breaking multiple guidelines, then are there unwritten ones we don't know about? That's my main concern... assuming something's universal and it's not.

3) If you're going to implement guidelines for banning,

There is one already, it's for plagiarism. But that's probably just me being nit-picky xD

On the rest, I'm not saying hard and fast "These are the rules. Deal". I'm saying maybe the guidelines are missing something. Maybe we should be talking about what the guidelines should be, instead of what the rules should be?

Decapo - So you issue a minimum of one warning? Isn't that in itself a basis for proper staff conduct in the worst case scenario?

Edit: I find it ironic that tyler signed that he was against the rules idea when he corrected nuup on an unwritten rule

(10-29-2014, 10:34 PM)AltruismAndCake Wrote: Decapo - So you issue a minimum of one warning? Isn't that in itself a basis for proper staff conduct in the worst case scenario?

yes, yes it is XD that is why i said i give generally more, cause most offenses are not that bad at all, and get solved with a couple warning,, MAYBE a kick, but we generally speaking have a great community that needs little "looking over" only a couple people start shit regularly, and those ppl are used to a kick or 2.
The only people of problem are the random people that come back on after being gone for a year and think they can just start shit, or new first comers that think that they can be rude and misbehave and we wont care.

RE: Ideas for server rules - TSO - 10-30-2014

Okay, so far, the script is able to add warnings.

RE: Ideas for server rules - slugdude - 10-30-2014

I agree with Tyler's post, but I think that maybe political debates should stay out of chat too? It got pretty intense yesterday, between myself (admittedly) and crazy.

EDIT: Command idea! (Staff only) /warn <player> <reason> and (staff only) /warncheck <player>

/warn <player> <reason> would add an line to a text file on the server or something, with something like this:
<player> was warned on (date of warning) at (time of warning) for <reason>.

/warncheck <player> would scan said file for all lines matching <player> and would display it for the staff to see in their chat.

This would add a formal way of keeping track of warnings, and quick for a staff to check a player's warnings ingame.

What do you guys think? Yay, nay, or this should be in the command suggestion subforum?

Edit 2: Ya,imma post this in the command suggestion subforum.