Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Connection to school server - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: School Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: Connection to school server (/thread-4742.html)

Connection to school server - henrysquire - 09-18-2014

I don't know why, but I am unable to connect to and go on the school server. If anyone knows why, can they please tell me?

your savior - PabloDons - 09-18-2014

does it say "unknown host name"?
if so, follow this walkthrough
(08-31-2014, 10:12 AM)PabloDons Wrote: Step 1:
Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center, then in the left-hand column, click Manage network connections.
Step 2:
Right-click Local Area Connections and select Properties.
Note: The name of this connection may vary if you have changed it or if you have previously connected to other wired Ethernet networks.
Step 3:
Windows 7 might present you with a User Account Control window asking you for permission to continue. Click Continue to move on. A Local Area Connection Properties window will open.
Step 4:
In the Connection Properties window, under This connection uses the following items:, select Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4), then click Properties
Step 4:
change the preffered DNS server address to 208.67.222.222 and the alternative DNS server address to 208.67.220.220
Note: you might have to uncheck the "Obtain DNS server address automatically" to change the preffered and alternate DNS address.
Step 5: save everything and close, you're done

RE: Connection to school server - henrysquire - 09-19-2014

It doesn't say that. It has worked in the past because I went on it a couple of days ago. It just says "Can't connect to server." after about a minute of searching for a connection. Also, are the instructions you cave me for Windows? I was just wondering that because I play on a Mac.

RE: Connection to school server - PhysoniumI - 09-19-2014

That only sometimes works Pablo.

Sometimes routers force you to use their configured DNS servers (parental controls stuff). (<- only applicable if you have router between you and your modem)

henry, check to make sure the IP is right (well IP/domain, whichever you use).

Without more information, impossible to tell.

RE: Connection to school server - PabloDons - 09-20-2014

It works in most cases, but the "can't connect to server" only means something is wrong with the connection to the server, if you use an IP and not a domain, it might be spelled wrong. other than that, simply trying again some other time might work fine unless the server itself is down

RE: Connection to school server - Jwood9198 - 10-02-2014

Word is that the server itself is down, and that the server host is having internet troubles

RE: Connection to school server - alphanerd132 - 10-03-2014

(10-02-2014, 02:15 PM)Jwood9198 Wrote: Word is that the server itself is down, and that the server host is having internet troubles

who is hosting it? If it is a company I would be chewing them a new one if they didn't have my server running and I was still paying.

RE: Connection to school server - PabloDons - 10-03-2014

no, I think it's Mort who's hosting it. He might have to be the one to fix it because remote access isn't working

RE: Connection to school server - Yap7 - 12-23-2014

Hi, I can't connect to the school server, I already try with all minecraft version, I tried with Pablo's Walkthrough, I tried with sc.openredstone.org, it always say "unknow host"

By the way, I have the same problem with mc.openredstone.org, I have to use the adress mort.openredstone.org:25569 to go to the build server.

RE: Connection to school server - LordDecapo - 12-23-2014

Umm.. sounds like RSWs ISP is messing up.. the servers have been running good but have had random redirect issues recently. I'll try and talk to him and see if he knows something.