Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Programming languages - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Programming (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Programming languages (/thread-44.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Programming languages - JeremyG - 04-19-2013

(04-19-2013, 08:18 PM)Xeomorpher Wrote:
(04-19-2013, 12:06 PM)Nickster258 Wrote: I do not know. People say "Start C++!" "Python NAWO!" "Java is good" i do not know what really is the best.
C++ is the most useful.
Python is the easiest to learn, and a nice language.
Java ... NO ... NOT JAVA

I completely agree with this post. Never start with C++ though, you'll bail out quickly enough.

RE: Programming languages - Nickster258 - 04-19-2013

A local friend (Soon to be my boss for my intern job) said I should start in the basics, the COMPLETE basics. That is DOS. Should I go through with it? (BTW, he gave me 9 server computers, all from 1995 ish, including a unix box)

RE: Programming languages - Xeomorpher - 04-19-2013

That's one path.
I'd say get familiar with the baaasic concepts of programming, and into the right mindset in something nice and friendly, such as python. Then after feeling you are decent at it, you could move to something basic, but it's much better to get the very basics nailed in something which you can make mistakes with, and learn while watching tutorials, and (CHEATY) C/P code from google Tongue

RE: Programming languages - David - 04-28-2013

(04-19-2013, 08:18 PM)Xeomorpher Wrote:
(04-19-2013, 12:06 PM)Nickster258 Wrote: I do not know. People say "Start C++!" "Python NAWO!" "Java is good" i do not know what really is the best.
C++ is the most useful.
Python is the easiest to learn, and a nice language.
Java ... NO ... NOT JAVA
Lemme tell you a secret: You are playing a game which is written in java! :O

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANYWAY

I'm learning C++, the language i started off with is visual basic and batch.

RE: Programming languages - mort96 - 04-28-2013

Personally I like Javascript, due to it's ease of use for the user - simply go to a URL and there you go. No need to download anything or install anything at all. It's also cross platform, and if you want it as a mobile app, simply make a native app with a web view pointing to the Javascript source. Combined with Canvas, CSS, HTML and other web standards, it's quite powerful both for graphics and GUIs too.

If we disregard that however, C++ is by far the language I prefer to code in. It just feels so much easier to write structured code, and it's fast. Javascript, being an interpreted language, got nothing against the compiled language C++ in terms of speed.

Also, I agree with the whole "Java ... NO ... NOT JAVA" thing Tongue (Sadly, Notch does't).

RE: Programming languages - JeremyG - 04-28-2013

(04-28-2013, 09:31 PM)David Wrote: Lemme tell you a secret: You are playing a game which is written in java! :O

I can assure you, Xeo knows this fact and has had a crashed minecraft various times in his lifetime because 'java is drunk'.

RE: Programming languages - David - 04-29-2013

(04-28-2013, 10:48 PM)JeremyG Wrote:
(04-28-2013, 09:31 PM)David Wrote: Lemme tell you a secret: You are playing a game which is written in java! :O

I can assure you, Xeo knows this fact and has had a crashed minecraft various times in his lifetime because 'java is drunk'.
Did he really know that?

RE: Programming languages - Xeomorpher - 04-29-2013

(04-29-2013, 12:58 PM)David Wrote:

Did he really know that?

Uhm .. yes, I'm not an idiot xD
things that give me the clue I may be playing a java game:
Java crash text files
Java process
The window for fullscreen has a java icon
The fact it has .jars in it
The fact it uses lwgl
The fact it needs java to run
The fact it reccomends a 64 bit java version
Tongue Yup, we all know it's java.

RE: Programming languages - David - 04-29-2013

(04-29-2013, 04:11 PM)Xeomorpher Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 12:58 PM)David Wrote:

Did he really know that?

Uhm .. yes, I'm not an idiot xD
things that give me the clue I may be playing a java game:
Java crash text files
Java process
The window for fullscreen has a java icon
The fact it has .jars in it
The fact it uses lwgl
The fact it needs java to run
The fact it reccomends a 64 bit java version
Tongue Yup, we all know it's java.
you're smarter then i thought you would be!

RE: Programming languages - EDevil - 04-29-2013

Neve eva underestimate Xeo Big Grin