Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
make students become builders - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: School Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: make students become builders (/thread-4097.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

make students become builders - Crazyninja2000 - 07-18-2014

The whole point of school is to eventually learn redstone to become a builder. But some students have been here for months and don't even know binary. All they do is build a bunch of things that have nothing to do with redstone. I think after a period of time you lost your plot if you don't become a builder in that time period. It would grow the build community with more builders.

RE: make students become builders - LordDecapo - 07-18-2014

i agree. if you dont do redstone comp sci stuff for a while or u are not active for a while, you should lose your plot on school, would give opportunity for good builders to progress and show us who doesmt care to much about comp sci redstone.

RE: make students become builders - Tjakka5 - 07-18-2014

That seems good, however, I suggest that they get a notification well in advance (3 months) so a staff member can "refresh" their period.

RE: make students become builders - Jupperware - 07-28-2014

here here

RE: make students become builders - Apuly - 07-30-2014

I don't feel like you have to focus on computer science on the school server.
It's a place where you're supposed to learn redstone, and the main focus by all the higher ranked people is on computer science, but if you're just there to build doors and combo-locks, I don't really see the problem, as long as they're improving.
Forcing people to get into computer science will probably destimulate some people to join the server, even if the time period is 6 months.

RE: make students become builders - PNWMan - 08-01-2014

I disagree with this post. Having your plot deleted if you don't become a member in a certain amount of time might cause some students to rush learning. Rushed learning tends to be very flaw-filled and confusing. I can attest to this as very occasionally, I will have to teach someone quickly because I have to leave soon or something, and the student just gets confused.

Also, very few active students have been students for a super long time; I could probably come up with about 2 or 3. I just don't think it's worth it to delete their plots if they are students. Besides, on the very back burner is 6 month old plot deletion, which would clear up quite a few plots (over 100), so implementing this would be mostly futile and the negative effects would outweigh the benefits.

RE: make students become builders - Crazyninja2000 - 08-01-2014

(07-30-2014, 12:07 PM)paulydboy Wrote: I don't feel like you have to focus on computer science on the school server.
It's a place where you're supposed to learn redstone, and the main focus by all the higher ranked people is on computer science, but if you're just there to build doors and combo-locks, I don't really see the problem, as long as they're improving.
Forcing people to get into computer science will probably destimulate some people to join the server, even if the time period is 6 months.

The whole point of the student rank is to learn. thats why they are called students, not builders. ORE teaches computer science, not doors and locks. If they want to build doors and locks, they can do it on another server that doesnt do computer science or single player.

RE: make students become builders - Apuly - 08-01-2014

(08-01-2014, 01:31 PM)Crazyninja2000 Wrote: The whole point of the student rank is to learn. thats why they are called students, not builders. ORE teaches computer science, not doors and locks. If they want to build doors and locks, they can do it on another server that doesnt do computer science or single player.

ORE teaches redstone. This can be seen in the finished school application thread, where people who just want to learn how to make survival-related machines are accepted.
The largest part of the students wants to learn computer science. This is why the main requirement for teacher is knowing how to teach computer science, and the reason that teachers are most likely not going to teach doors to people.
In the situation that a teacher is willing to teach a student how to door, or how to combo-lock, then they're free to do so. It still (to some extend) improves the knowledge that the students have in the field of redstone.

RE: make students become builders - Crazyninja2000 - 08-01-2014

(08-01-2014, 02:07 PM)paulydboy Wrote:
(08-01-2014, 01:31 PM)Crazyninja2000 Wrote: The whole point of the student rank is to learn. thats why they are called students, not builders. ORE teaches computer science, not doors and locks. If they want to build doors and locks, they can do it on another server that doesnt do computer science or single player.

ORE teaches redstone. This can be seen in the finished school application thread, where people who just want to learn how to make survival-related machines are accepted.
The largest part of the students wants to learn computer science. This is why the main requirement for teacher is knowing how to teach computer science, and the reason that teachers are most likely not going to teach doors to people.
In the situation that a teacher is willing to teach a student how to door, or how to combo-lock, then they're free to do so. It still (to some extend) improves the knowledge that the students have in the field of redstone.

the whole point of student is to learn enough to get on build. thats why not a single teacher teaches those sad little machines. ORE is known for its computer science, not piston doors. its okay to build those for fun, but we teach comp redstone. you can go to a creative server if you want to build doors and locks.

RE: make students become builders - Apuly - 08-01-2014

Can you please provide me with some proof for your statement?