Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
(POLL) Merging School with Build - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: (POLL) Merging School with Build (/thread-4043.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Merging School with Build - redstonewarrior - 07-20-2014

Problems with the above: Plots no longer have their cleannnnnn mod 256 rounding. This makes RSW cry.
Two other ideas:
Night-movement style grid.
Dynamic allocation.

In dynamic allocation, we reserve a build-sized plot whenever we run out of school plots. (Next available plot, spiraling outwards, or next to a good teacher.) When groups of four student plots (one build plot) are deserted, we can recycle them as school or build plots. This lets people have any size of contiguous build plots, allows students to be near teachers, and doesn't create a giant school region.

RE: Merging School with Build - slugdude - 07-20-2014

(07-20-2014, 12:33 AM)redstonewarrior Wrote: In dynamic allocation, we reserve a build-sized plot whenever we run out of school plots. (Next available plot, spiraling outwards, or next to a good teacher.) When groups of four student plots (one build plot) are deserted, we can recycle them as school or build plots. This lets people have any size of contiguous build plots, allows students to be near teachers, and doesn't create a giant school region.

Could this process be automated or would staff have to manage it?
(Or worse... Students managing it)

RE: Merging School with Build - tyler569 - 07-20-2014

(07-20-2014, 12:54 AM)slugdude Wrote: Could this process be automated or would staff have to manage it?
If administrating it is simple enough, it wouldn't matter (easy to script, easy to do)

(07-20-2014, 12:54 AM)slugdude Wrote: (Or worse... Students managing it)
No.

RE: Merging School with Build - slugdude - 07-20-2014

(07-20-2014, 01:16 AM)tyler569 Wrote:
No.

RSW actually suggested that on the server. I think it was along the lines of "yeah I guess we could get students to sort it"

RE: Merging School with Build - redstonewarrior - 07-20-2014

(07-20-2014, 01:41 AM)slugdude Wrote:
(07-20-2014, 01:16 AM)tyler569 Wrote:
No.

RSW actually suggested that on the server. I think it was along the lines of "yeah I guess we could get students to sort it"
Not really, meh.

RE: Merging School with Build - Crazyninja2000 - 07-22-2014

The reason i don't want to be next to students is not generally i don't like them, it's that whenever i'm on(i am a teacher btw), they are always like "teach me teach me teach me!!!". i just want to build my machines in peace without having to hear that every 5 minutes.

RE: Merging School with Build - Iceglade - 07-23-2014

This thread is, quite frankly, ridiculous at this point. If it's already been decided that this merge is going to happen, oh well, but please close it.

(07-22-2014, 09:10 PM)Crazyninja2000 Wrote: The reason i don't want to be next to students is not generally i don't like them, it's that whenever i'm on(i am a teacher btw), they are always like "teach me teach me teach me!!!". i just want to build my machines in peace without having to hear that every 5 minutes.

Exxxxxxxactly. None of us want to listen to that (I don't think). But it doesn't matter where the plot is, people communicate through chat, for which there's no difference whether you have the next plot over or if you're on the other side of the map. For lack of a less overly dramatic sense, there's no escape... I believe that was one of the reasons school was seperate in the first place. And if we add chat channels then we've just completely defeated the purpose of having members available to students at any given time.

Generally, the sentiment is "if it's not broken, fixing it will break it". I see absolutely nothing wrong with the level of student activity currently (as a teacher I have plenty to do when online.) This system has worked and never become a problem in the past year or more of ORE's existence, why are we throwing wrenches in it now?

RE: Merging School with Build - PabloDons - 07-23-2014

^^ very good point. Also the chat... school chat is so full of teachers explaining things (when they are actually on). nobody but students are really interested in reading that. I have been on the school server while the build has been down and boy do I gotta say, the spam ;_; the chat is completely uninteresting from that point out and it's going to get in the way for typical build chat

RE: Merging School with Build - slugdude - 07-23-2014

(07-23-2014, 01:25 AM)PabloDons Wrote: the spam ;_; the chat is completely uninteresting from that point out and it's going to get in the way for typical build chat

hence the idea of channeling the chat.

I think the merge will be a ood thing since people who may not even know each other are brought together.

I think channelling the chat would be good, prehaps there are 2 channels, build and school, but you can be in both at the same time. Also prehaps staff would have access to a private staff chat and be able to speak globally?

^ just some ideas fot the chat

RE: Merging School with Build - Iceglade - 07-23-2014

(07-23-2014, 06:57 PM)slugdude Wrote:
(07-23-2014, 01:25 AM)PabloDons Wrote: the spam ;_; the chat is completely uninteresting from that point out and it's going to get in the way for typical build chat

hence the idea of channeling the chat.

I think the merge will be a good thing since people who may not even know each other are brought together.

I think channelling the chat would be good, prehaps there are 2 channels, build and school, but you can be in both at the same time. Also prehaps staff would have access to a private staff chat and be able to speak globally?

^ just some ideas fot the chat

I don't understand this. If we're now doing this for social reasons, I'm quite sure that builders who want to meet new people on school are capable of going to the other server, and students who want to see what happens on build are equally capable of a) joining the other server or b) applying. I don't see the so-called gap between the school community and the build community, and besides, if we make chat channels then we can use the exact same argument that the community is seperated. I stand by my opinion that this is change for the sake of change.