Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
School homework question thing... - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: School homework question thing... (/thread-2603.html)

School homework question thing... - Apuly - 02-27-2014

I am trusting you on this. I AM TRUSTING YOU ON THIS.
I should have mailed this to some people, but I was like 'naah, redstoners b such amaze'.

So here is what needs to be done: awnser questions. That's it.

Code:
Are you interested in 3d printers?
If yes, what would you print if you had one.

Which advantages do you think a 3d printer would have on your life?
Which disadvantages do you think a 3d printer would have on your life?

Tank you for your coöperation.

RE: School homework question thing... - Iceglade - 02-27-2014

ORE > all Tongue

Are you interested in 3d printers? Sure thing!
If yes, what would you print if you had one. I would probably try to print basic mechanical mechanisms.

Which advantages do you think a 3d printer would have on your life? It would probably be primarily a hobby thing.
Which disadvantages do you think a 3d printer would have on your life? I honestly cannot think of any.

RE: School homework question thing... - David - 02-27-2014

Are you interested in 3d printers? Absolutely, it's asn amazing concept and I'd sure love to have one here in my house
If yes, what would you print if you had one? Computer parts maybe, or if it's capable to do so, maybe print stuff you need in your life. Like clothes or shoes.

Which advantages do you think a 3d printer would have on your life? Depends on what it would be capable of, if it can only print in plastic it wouldn't have an advantage for me. Though, if it can print alot of materials I could print stuff and be done in a few hours rather than waiting a few weeks for stuff to arrive when I ordered something over the internet.
Which disadvantages do you think a 3d printer would have on your life? Real stores might become useless. You could print anything in your home. That seems like it's an advantage but a huge disadvantage at the same time

RE: School homework question thing... - Xray_Doc - 02-27-2014

No to all

RE: School homework question thing... - Dcentrics - 02-27-2014

(02-27-2014, 03:05 PM)Xray_Doc Wrote: No to all

RE: School homework question thing... - mcShadesz - 02-27-2014

Are you interested in 3d printers?

I find them intriguing

If yes, what would you print if you had one.

I already have printed several things (well my team did). Most related to a robot we built. They included customized wheel and pulley "treads" and multiple worm gear housings. I also worked on an engineering team at a manufacturing company that had things 3D printed regularly... they used them to prototype different parts of the items they were designing so they could "test" them in real life before sending the designs to production.

Which advantages do you think a 3d printer would have on your life?

Hmmmm, as the technology stands, none really. Sure it can help companies rapid prototype stuff, but it is actually rather expensive compared to blow-molding, injection-molding, and other manufacturing techniques (en mass). But as far as personally having one... meh, not much to it IMO.

The current movement is a fad in my opinion. It is too expensive, the print has nowhere near the resolution that you would need to make attractive hobby "models", the fact that it prints in layers weakens the structure of the item that was printed, so reliable mechanical parts are out (I know from experience), and they usually use thermoplastic which means the items can re-melt.

There are some exemptions to the shortfalls above, but those are rare. In fact, even the 3D printer we used that cost tens of thousands of $, had many of these shortfalls.

Metal "3D printing" might have a few more applications, but I don't see that coming to a "home-near-you" anytime soon.

Photopolymers (compared to thermopolymers) might get a little better resolution, and may not be meltable (guessing both) but the man who invented the first 3D printer over 30 years ago used photpolymers, and they aren't a big part of the current home-printing trend today. Although, I do have a friend who is building is own photopolymer 3D printer right now.

Which disadvantages do you think a 3d printer would have on your life?
Disadvantages if I had one? None really. I suppose if I had one I would use it... and using them is expensive, contrary to popular belief.. so the disadvantage would be a smaller wallet I suppose.

This is a good read from 3D printers inventor. Make sure to click the links through the article to find out more...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/13/tech/innovation/the-night-i-invented-3d-printing-chuck-hall/