Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Regarding the School Server's Free Build Plot, here I am, Pine, with an argument. - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: School Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: Regarding the School Server's Free Build Plot, here I am, Pine, with an argument. (/thread-2518.html)

Regarding the School Server's Free Build Plot, here I am, Pine, with an argument. - Pineappleous - 02-19-2014

Hello, I would like to say something regarding the new free build plot on the school server.

Recently I heard that the free build plot now has been restricted to students only. This confuses me and makes me think against it, so, I've decided to write...

Firstly, the name "Free build (plot)" implies that the plot is open to all users to build whatever they want, of course innapropriate builds can be filtered by admins/staff. Since Students have their own plots, why do they need another massive one? Surely they could resort to using the free build plot with another user if trust is not present between them (AKA some players might not approve of another user being able to build on their plot by /padd'ing the other user), but the free build plot should really exist for the use of [Visitor]'s because all other ranks have their own plots.

Also, I would like to add, in conclusion, that allowing [Visitor]'s to use the plot is a good idea because it would be a good way for them to pass the time before their application is accepted for the [Student] rank. In the mean time, they could start a build on the free build plot and later have a [Builder] or [Teacher] //cut or //copy and //paste it onto their new plot.In my short existance of only about 1.75 months, I have already seen many new potential School Server members turned off because they need think they need to wait a long time.

In final conclusion, the Free-build-plot on the School Server should be open to ALL players present on the server.

-Pine

RE: Regarding the School Server's Free Build Plot, here I am, Pine, with an argument. - Iceglade - 02-19-2014

I agree with this. FREEbuild.

RE: Regarding the School Server's Free Build Plot, here I am, Pine, with an argument. - EDevil - 02-19-2014

Okay, so im the one who disabled the FREEbuild from visitors, here's some backstory;

Like stated above, the freebuild plot was actually accessible for everyone who wanted to build their redstone creations. However, due to some admin back-end work, there appeared a bug in the OREutils plugin which did some funny stuff with the rules being applied to the plots. Due to this "derp", new visitors could build everywhere. Not only on freebuild, but also on plots of players who joined the server after this derp. Players that got their plot before this bug weren't affected, so wasn't spawn.

So we had the hard task of deciding to either close freebuild, or hoping that visitors wouldn't notice the bug and keep them strictly to the rules. Yeah, we tried the 2nd solution for about 2 weeks, which really did not work out that well. Visitors we're griefing every day (i think i never banned that many players in a week before), and rolling back all the stuff was a pain in the ass. So, to prevent any further griefing, and to give new students a safe place to work, i removed all the place, drop, interacts etc. permissions from the Visitors.

There is also some good news to this; once OREutils V2 comes out, the problem should be fixed and we will have the good old freebuild plot back how it used to be Big Grin

RE: Regarding the School Server's Free Build Plot, here I am, Pine, with an argument. - Pineappleous - 02-20-2014

(02-19-2014, 10:22 PM)EvilDevil59NL Wrote: Okay, so im the one who disabled the FREEbuild from visitors, here's some backstory;

Like stated above, the freebuild plot was actually accessible for everyone who wanted to build their redstone creations. However, due to some admin back-end work, there appeared a bug in the OREutils plugin which did some funny stuff with the rules being applied to the plots. Due to this "derp", new visitors could build everywhere. Not only on freebuild, but also on plots of players who joined the server after this derp. Players that got their plot before this bug weren't affected, so wasn't spawn.

So we had the hard task of deciding to either close freebuild, or hoping that visitors wouldn't notice the bug and keep them strictly to the rules. Yeah, we tried the 2nd solution for about 2 weeks, which really did not work out that well. Visitors we're griefing every day (i think i never banned that many players in a week before), and rolling back all the stuff was a pain in the ass. So, to prevent any further griefing, and to give new students a safe place to work, i removed all the place, drop, interacts etc. permissions from the Visitors.

There is also some good news to this; once OREutils V2 comes out, the problem should be fixed and we will have the good old freebuild plot back how it used to be Big Grin

That is a very reasonable explanation. I guess I didn't see thw hole story.... Anyway, I guess all I can wait for is for the new version to come out for the benefit of the visitors

RE: Regarding the School Server's Free Build Plot, here I am, Pine, with an argument. - Dcentrics - 02-20-2014

give it a few...... slow admins at work over here....

yes.... *stares at xeo, red, and dot....