Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Cubousity/Cubiness/Compactness Formula - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: Cubousity/Cubiness/Compactness Formula (/thread-2434.html)

Cubousity/Cubiness/Compactness Formula - PNWMan - 02-15-2014

A few days earlier I made a formula to determine the compactness of a rectangular prism. Now I felt that compactness had more to do than just volume because a 10x10x10 cube would be more compact than a 1x1x1000 rectangular prism, even though they have the same volume. So I based it off of how close to a cube the shape was, since a cube is the most compact rectangular prism you can have. It is: (3*cbrt(l*w*h))/(l+w+h). It's fairly simple to use. Here is how I created this formula:

I wanted to base it off of the side lengths. The l*w*h factor is the volume of the rectangular prism. Taking the cube root of that gives what the side lengths would be if it were a cube. the (l+w+h)/3 factor is the average of the side lengths. if you take the cbrt(l*w*h) and divide that by (l+w+h)/3, you get the same as cbrt(l*w*h)*((l+w+h)/3), or just (3*cbrt(l*w*h))/(l+w+h).

If the result is 1, the rectangular prism is a perfect cube. If it is less than one, than it is not a cube. The closer to 1 the number is, the more compact it is.

RE: Cubousity/Cubiness/Compactness Formula - Iceglade - 02-15-2014

To those reading, a tl;dr, it compares surface area to the minimum surface area to that volume, which you learned in 8th grade math was a cube.

Also, have some tex!

[Image: gif.latex?%5Cfrac%7B3%5Csqrt%5B3%5D%7Blw...+h%7D]

RE: Cubousity/Cubiness/Compactness Formula - LordDecapo - 02-27-2014

Nice ice!!! Imma use this to calculate the compactness of my new CPU when I finish Big Grin

RE: Cubousity/Cubiness/Compactness Formula - CX gamer - 04-05-2014

(02-15-2014, 10:50 AM)Iceglade Wrote: it compares surface area to the minimum surface area to that volume, which you learned in 8th grade math was a cube.
A sphere! :o

Sweet tex!

RE: Cubousity/Cubiness/Compactness Formula - Iceglade - 04-05-2014

(04-05-2014, 06:14 PM)CX gamer Wrote:
(02-15-2014, 10:50 AM)Iceglade Wrote: it compares surface area to the minimum surface area to that volume, which you learned in 8th grade math was a cube.
A sphere! :o

Sweet tex!

Spheres in minecraft for days :p

(02-27-2014, 02:36 PM)LordDecapo Wrote: Nice ice!!! Imma use this to calculate the compactness of my new CPU when I finish Big Grin

Also, this is PNW's, not mine Smile

RE: Cubousity/Cubiness/Compactness Formula - gelloe - 04-05-2014

(02-15-2014, 10:50 AM)Iceglade Wrote: To those reading, a tl;dr, it compares surface area to the minimum surface area to that volume, which you learned in 8th grade math was a cube.

Also, have some tex!

[Image: gif.latex?%5Cfrac%7B3%5Csqrt%5B3%5D%7Blw...+h%7D]

But... I'm not in 8th grade yet ;-;

EDIT: I also have no idea what that images means
EDIT 2: NO WAIT! DON'T TELL ME!
EDIT 3: Something with length width and height, and the threes are for volume or something like that.

RE: Cubousity/Cubiness/Compactness Formula - VirtualPineapple - 04-06-2014

geometric mean divided by average eh?