Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Looking for other places to learn? - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Looking for other places to learn? (/thread-2287.html)

Looking for other places to learn? - mcShadesz - 02-02-2014

Hey guys! It is obvious that this is not the community for my study. I will hang out for a little while to learn about the good things that are done, but once I get all the info I need, I'm for sure out of here.

However, the school server is the most "educationally" driven that I have seen (thanks to the respectable teachers, builders, and some staff that hang out on school). Mind you, I haven't seen many other servers like this to compare to.

Unfortunately the server creator and various staff appear to only want a place for them to vent their irl problems and troll others. So this brings me to my inquiry.

I have two questions... pm's are preferred so we do not fill these forums with links to other servers out of respect to the owners here.

1- What other redstone servers are out there? Which ones are educationally driven? Which ones focus on computer architecture?

2- If I end up putting a server together (educational based), would you be interested in coming over? Perhaps helping teach over there? Pm me a way to get a hold of you if you are.

RE: Looking for other places to learn? - EDevil - 02-02-2014

I really do believe that you didn't get a good impression of the server, since your whole first point, and other text, doesn't make sense at all.

I can assure you that if you're looking for redstone servers that focus on these points, you'll find no other place then ORE. The players on this server have years of experience when it comes to computer architectures, and generally pushing the limits of redstone. And the "Educationally driven" part; why would we have a school server if we weren't educationally driven?

As for the "only want a place for them to vent their irl problems and troll others". ORE isn't just a redstone server, its a community, a family. We're not only interested in redstone, but also how the other players are doing. We celebrate birthdays, make creations with a big group, enjoy Christmas together, etc.

Lastly, when it comes to your own server, dont promote / advertise it on the forums. However, what you're asking is reasonable. If players are unhappy of how the things go on ORE, then we cant stop them for checking out other servers.

RE: Looking for other places to learn? - mcShadesz - 02-02-2014

(02-02-2014, 07:01 PM)EvilDevil59NL Wrote: I really do believe that you didn't get a good impression of the server, since your whole first point, and other text, doesn't make sense at all.

I can assure you that if you're looking for redstone servers that focus on these points, you'll find no other place then ORE. The players on this server have years of experience when it comes to computer architectures, and generally pushing the limits of redstone. And the "Educationally driven" part; why would we have a school server if we weren't educationally driven?

As for the "only want a place for them to vent their irl problems and troll others". ORE isn't just a redstone server, its a community, a family. We're not only interested in redstone, but also how the other players are doing. We celebrate birthdays, make creations with a big group, enjoy Christmas together, etc.

Lastly, when it comes to your own server, dont promote / advertise it on the forums. However, what you're asking is reasonable. If players are unhappy of how the things go on ORE, then we cant stop them for checking out other servers.

I'm not sure what doesn't make sense? It's pretty clear. Like you said, while ORE is a good place to learn advanced redstone, it is also a place for a group of close friends to hang out. This dual role causes conflict if a person is here for learning, but not for the type of friendship found here (or isn't "accepted" into the group of "cool kids" and wants to be).

I'm looking to identify those people. ORE doesn't want them anyways. In no way would I advertise a new server. I respect ORE as a community and server, even if some of its participants have lost my respect. If I do end up making a new server it is months and months down the road. Red-tape slows things down. Smile

To add: for the education part.. I am saying that ORE does have education. That is what I am attracted to here. Its a great thing! However, the dual role of friends and education clutters it for people who are not "in the in". That's the part I don't like and believe is holding ore back form being as large as it can be... BUT that is ok. If the owners/staff want casual friends and redstone. That's great. I was asking if there are any education oriented servers out there in addition to ORE school. Which, it appears there are not. Smile

RE: Looking for other places to learn? - Xray_Doc - 02-02-2014

I do know another redstone server that has some good people on it. I only have the IP though and that is on my computer. (It's Flan's server)

RE: Looking for other places to learn? - mcShadesz - 02-03-2014

Thanks. I talked to him earlier today and plan to get more involved. Seems like a good guy just like many on this server.