Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: Are We Reaching Our Limits? (/thread-1712.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Treesin - 12-26-2013

(12-26-2013, 08:26 PM)kosnirr dragoven Wrote:
(12-26-2013, 08:11 PM)Treesin Wrote:
(12-26-2013, 07:36 PM)kosnirr dragoven Wrote:
(12-26-2013, 07:09 PM)Treesin Wrote:
(12-26-2013, 04:01 PM)xdot Wrote: http://cactirevolution.wordpress.com/2013/04/22/a-look-at-the-future-of-redstone-circuit-standards-part-1/
http://cactirevolution.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/a-look-at-the-future-of-redstone-circuit-standards-part-2/

Relevant.

I'm pretty sure that these things don't say anything. Like I understand all the concepts that these cover, but honestly, it seems that these are all excerpts from random, unrelated things. Like I have read every single one multiple times, and I still don't understand the smallest bit of it...

-snip-

Of course if I had in fact initially said something along the lines of your interpretation there would have been no misunderstanding. In that case, Treesin's description of my article as "Open mouth, insert foot" would make no sense, since no apology would be necessary. All this to say that perhaps, to be generous, Treesin, in saying that I "decided to use as many big, technical words as possible," meant "it may have been a good thing." If so, you presented it in the most obfuscated way possible.

I disagree completely. If you would've said that the initialism of my response had been the source of the error, than I could have disproved the general conclusion that you just posited. However, you seem to be hinging on the fact that the interest is derived from the mere premise of the lack of proof. Well, to that I say that the response is entirely justified, in that if you can relate the redstone theory presented in the aforementioned text, then the text would read that the missing link between our views would be found when the views were connected by the ambition to create agreement. Now if you told me that the reason for this malice was bad, then I might decide to agree with your argument, but not abandon my own, that is, if obfuscation is presented as a complicating agent, then this is inherently unfaithful to the truth, as obfuscation is in fact a simplification in other ways.
There is a great divide in redstone design between the engineers who stress philosophy and values and those who stress history and originalism. It is a split that cannot be bridged, much like the division between farmers and cowboys in “Oklahoma.” My purpose here is not to revisit that controversy and to argue that history and originalism reflect the superior approach, although that is my belief. In my article, I simply assume that the goal of interpretation should be to recapture original meaning because original meaning accords with the decision to ratify the Constitution. If one takes that goal seriously, obfuscating intent is not the way to go.

I would not take that statement granted, in that, in many opinions, "originalism" can actually be the crux of the argument between our two ideas. While I do agree with the existence of "Oklahoma", I would strongly believe that the formation of its existence is one of the more influential topics to study. Also, recapturing meaning is not possible, in my opinion, as the capturing of meaning in the first place is often said to be a modification itself, also it changes the original thought itself. In this way, obfuscation can be said to be the purest form of a thought, even if it is in fact a difference in the thought itself, as the act of change creates change in other places, equating the two ideas. The seriousness of a goal is always in account, mostly taken, when obfuscating, as the time spent to nurture an idea is again a form of obfuscation. In this sense, neither obfuscation nor originalism, nor indeed intent can be said to truly exist, as no processes are truly indeed static, so anything done will be said to obfuscate by one or another or me, taking away original meaning of the true purpose of intent.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - kosnirr dragoven - 12-26-2013

(12-26-2013, 08:38 PM)Treesin Wrote:
(12-26-2013, 08:26 PM)kosnirr dragoven Wrote:
(12-26-2013, 08:11 PM)Treesin Wrote:
(12-26-2013, 07:36 PM)kosnirr dragoven Wrote:
(12-26-2013, 07:09 PM)Treesin Wrote: I'm pretty sure that these things don't say anything. Like I understand all the concepts that these cover, but honestly, it seems that these are all excerpts from random, unrelated things. Like I have read every single one multiple times, and I still don't understand the smallest bit of it...

-snip-

Of course if I had in fact initially said something along the lines of your interpretation there would have been no misunderstanding. In that case, Treesin's description of my article as "Open mouth, insert foot" would make no sense, since no apology would be necessary. All this to say that perhaps, to be generous, Treesin, in saying that I "decided to use as many big, technical words as possible," meant "it may have been a good thing." If so, you presented it in the most obfuscated way possible.

I disagree completely. If you would've said that the initialism of my response had been the source of the error, than I could have disproved the general conclusion that you just posited. However, you seem to be hinging on the fact that the interest is derived from the mere premise of the lack of proof. Well, to that I say that the response is entirely justified, in that if you can relate the redstone theory presented in the aforementioned text, then the text would read that the missing link between our views would be found when the views were connected by the ambition to create agreement. Now if you told me that the reason for this malice was bad, then I might decide to agree with your argument, but not abandon my own, that is, if obfuscation is presented as a complicating agent, then this is inherently unfaithful to the truth, as obfuscation is in fact a simplification in other ways.
There is a great divide in redstone design between the engineers who stress philosophy and values and those who stress history and originalism. It is a split that cannot be bridged, much like the division between farmers and cowboys in “Oklahoma.” My purpose here is not to revisit that controversy and to argue that history and originalism reflect the superior approach, although that is my belief. In my article, I simply assume that the goal of interpretation should be to recapture original meaning because original meaning accords with the decision to ratify the Constitution. If one takes that goal seriously, obfuscating intent is not the way to go.

I would not take that statement granted, in that, in many opinions, "originalism" can actually be the crux of the argument between our two ideas. While I do agree with the existence of "Oklahoma", I would strongly believe that the formation of its existence is one of the more influential topics to study. Also, recapturing meaning is not possible, in my opinion, as the capturing of meaning in the first place is often said to be a modification itself, also it changes the original thought itself. In this way, obfuscation can be said to be the purest form of a thought, even if it is in fact a difference in the thought itself, as the act of change creates change in other places, equating the two ideas. The seriousness of a goal is always in account, mostly taken, when obfuscating, as the time spent to nurture an idea is again a form of obfuscation. In this sense, neither obfuscation nor originalism, nor indeed intent can be said to truly exist, as no processes are truly indeed static, so anything done will be said to obfuscate by one or another or me, taking away original meaning of the true purpose of intent.

I am not entirely sure I understand what you are talking about...
EDIT: I am not entirely sure you understand what you are talking about...

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Magazorb - 12-26-2013

Can't say we are near any limits, we always find new ways to explain on what we always believe to be near limits and then pass those limits, each time we act surprised but reality being; Theirs a lot of real life operations for performance and compacting we could implement into Minecraft systems, For each time a smallest yet ideal performing object is created a record to be broken is set for the next guy, We been leapfrogging each other this way for years now and each time we surprise our self's and more with Clever optimisations that only become apparent when we think we reached all realistic limits to find us self's with even more room to expand into...

It's not even like we can physically say their are limits, being human our brains are always continuously learning via trail and error all the time, once 1 part has been mastered by a individual the limits for that individual seemingly extends as shortly after everyone else learns from the others trail and error, we then come to a point of significant improvement between each individual as the learning is shared between the community.

I'd say if we was even to try to put the efforts in as the community we have came to be as "ORE" we could even innovate real life technologies with our own designs and improvement. Not saying we would render ARM processors useless but at least if we was to put all of us together we definitely have a competitive edge on many electronic engineering establishments' (Yay I put all the E's together)

I guess as a memo id say our perceived limit's is only that as only a touch more then our own personal understanding of the situation, meaning as for physical limits, we can never gauge how far we truly are taking into account our ability to learn. unlike most machines we are not limited to fixed algorithms' which is the beauty of being a irrational being personally Big Grin

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Treesin - 12-26-2013

(12-26-2013, 08:43 PM)kosnirr dragoven Wrote: -snip-

I am not entirely sure I understand what you are talking about...
EDIT: I am not entirely sure you understand what you are talking about...

By saying that, you prove my argument correct. Understanding is an impossibility in a world where definite truth does not exist.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Frontrider - 12-26-2013

I think that 2 links tried to show some kind of standard, but picked a wrong way to show it.
I think theres only a coding standard needs to be done.Make sure that the same code, runs everywhere.
I think this will make networking easier, while not blocking the path to advance.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - redstonewarrior - 12-26-2013

Things to do when you get logic in a game:
>Basics
>Build down (optimize)
>Build up (macros, building bigger, better)
>Abstract
The sweetest fruits are yet to come, but they're not in the forms we're familiar with. (Then again, for many, optimized components will always bee the tastiest things.)

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - mort96 - 12-26-2013

My wiew of it is this:
Yes, we are approaching a limit. We are nearing a point where redstone contraptions can't get get any smaller or faster. However, that's when the fun starts.

We will have to start putting devices together. Make standardized protocols. Connect various devices, screens, inputs, etc. to CPUs.

The world of Minecraft software is relatively unexplored. We've put together a ton of CPUs, buy for each CPU, we've just made an adder program for demonstration. Maybe a multiplication program. Some people have implemented line drawing alrithms, but that's pretty much as far as it goes.

I'm working on a CPU, and a programming language to go with that CPU. I'm also writing a compiler for that language: http://mortie.org/?webapp=compiler_16 The plan is to have a function where you can download a schematic of the compiled program, and just //paste that next to the CPU.

I think that kind of projects are the future. Easily programmable CPUs with compilers for high-ish level languages. No more manually placing torches. Just program in a language and //paste the resulting schematic.

Furthermore, we can design a standard instruction set and a standard program ROM design. That way, we can have a bunch of CPUs which can all run the same software. That's when the software revolution will start.

As Berick said, there are no limits to those who see no limits.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - redstonewarrior - 12-26-2013

Quote:>Build down
>Build up
I like mine better.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Iceglade - 12-27-2013

(12-26-2013, 10:10 PM)redstonewarrior Wrote: (Then again, for many, optimized components will always bee the tastiest things.)

Hopefully not for most of ORE members D:

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Xray_Doc - 12-27-2013

This entire thread:
tl;dr