Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
DLD (Digital Logic Documentation) - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Projects & Inventions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-19.html)
+---- Forum: In Progress (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-20.html)
+---- Thread: DLD (Digital Logic Documentation) (/thread-15501.html)

DLD (Digital Logic Documentation) - IAmLesbian - 11-25-2019

DLD (Digital Logic Documentation)
an idea for a collection of information on different topics within Digital Logic

For different topics within Digital Logic, I plan to have a document written explaining it in decent detail.  Anything from half and full adders to ISAs to memory circuits and maybe even GPU Design.  I put a suggestion form in the google drive folder linked above.  I don't believe you need a gmail account to view the documents or even submit the suggestion form, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.  Below is an explanation of the layout of the DLD.
  • DLD Index - Think of it as a table of contents, it shows you the layout of the folders and documents along with whether the documents are completed or not.
  • DLD Dictionary - A collection of terms found throughout the DLD's documents, sorted by the document first mentioned then alphabetically.
  • DLD Additional Resources - Various links to other resources sorted by the folder or document they have the most relevance to.
  • DLD Suggested Change (Form) - A form anyone can fill out that can be used to suggest whatever changes you think should be implemented.
  • Folders [0] through [6] - The documents containing information on various topics within Digital Logic.
Beyond that there's not much to say.

If you have any questions or want to help build up the DLD's resources please leave a reply.

RE: DLD (Digital Logic Documentation) - GISED_Link - 11-25-2019

Hi,

You are like the 26th person I’ve seen who tries to make some documentation about redstone. It is always a good thing to hear that somebody want to produce some documentation. But usually it never goes really far.
I suggest that for once somebody do something on Wikipedia (or Minecraft Wiki). That way the community will really be able to contribute and everybody will work on the same thing instead of rewriting for the 100th times how binary works in minecraft ...

RE: DLD (Digital Logic Documentation) - IAmLesbian - 11-25-2019

(11-25-2019, 07:07 AM)GISED_Link Wrote: Hi,

You are like the 26th person I’ve seen who tries to make some documentation about redstone. It is always a good thing to hear that somebody want to produce some documentation. But usually it never goes really far.
I suggest that for once somebody do something on Wikipedia (or Minecraft Wiki). That way the community will really be able to contribute and everybody will work on the same thing instead of rewriting for the 100th times how binary works in minecraft ...

Looking into what other people have done is a good idea I hadn't thought of.  My goal is less a documentation for redstone and more a documentation of digital logic in general.  Some real world aspects of digital logic are less important in redstone just by the nature of real life being different from the game and I don't want to lose those when making the documentation.  As for adding them to a Wiki of some sort, I've never done something like that before so idk.

RE: DLD (Digital Logic Documentation) - martin of redwall - 11-26-2019

there is tons of well layed out tutorials on youtube, Benny'scube Ultimate Guide to Redstone (UGR) is very comperhensive

RE: DLD (Digital Logic Documentation) - Angry_Salmon - 11-26-2019

Good luck! I believe!

RE: DLD (Digital Logic Documentation) - IAmLesbian - 11-26-2019

(11-26-2019, 02:41 AM)martin of redwall Wrote: there is tons of well layed out tutorials on youtube, Benny'scube Ultimate Guide to Redstone (UGR) is very comperhensive

I've watched a lot of his videos, it's likely that whether or not I reference his videos directly in my documentation, I just happen to have learned a bit of it from him.  Though it's good you reminded me, I should probably add it as a resource.

RE: DLD (Digital Logic Documentation) - IAmLesbian - 11-26-2019

(11-26-2019, 03:13 AM)Angry_Salmon Wrote: Good luck! I believe!

Thanks!  Heart

RE: DLD (Digital Logic Documentation) - LordDecapo - 11-27-2019

(11-25-2019, 07:07 AM)GISED_Link Wrote: Hi,

EEVV had a fully made redstone wiki with schem 3D rotating renders and all... had FANTASIC feature sets and showed info very cleanly. Someone may be able to get with him and progress that project further. He made more progress than anyone iirc.

RE: DLD (Digital Logic Documentation) - GISED_Link - 11-28-2019

(11-27-2019, 08:16 PM)LordDecapo Wrote: EEVV had a fully made redstone wiki with schem 3D rotating renders and all... had FANTASIC feature sets and showed info very cleanly. Someone may be able to get with him and progress that project further. He made more progress than anyone iirc.

Do you have any link to provide? My google skills are not able to find anything about EEVV's wiki ...

And why not add things to the "official" redstone wiki:
?

RE: DLD (Digital Logic Documentation) - EEVV - 11-30-2019

(11-28-2019, 09:15 AM)GISED_Link Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 08:16 PM)LordDecapo Wrote: EEVV had a fully made redstone wiki with schem 3D rotating renders and all... had FANTASIC feature sets and showed info very cleanly. Someone may be able to get with him and progress that project further. He made more progress than anyone iirc.

Do you have any link to provide? My google skills are not able to find anything about EEVV's wiki ...

And why not add things to the "official" redstone wiki:
?

The reason for not putting it on the official Minecraft wiki is because computational (yes... I only care about computational) redstone has a lot of degrees of freedom... In order for the official wiki to keep up they would have to create a subwiki dedicated to it just because of how much information there is. Also, another reason for having a dedicated wiki is that you can specialize it with multiple tools of visualization suited for redstone.

I don't know if it is even worth putting the link here, because we planned to remake the wiki. Right now the certificates have expired and blabla it uses media wiki which is bloat imo. Meh, what ever... https://redstonewiki.org/ (advanced->continue if you get a certificate warning, there is no reason to be afraid of expired certificates so long as you don't log in, since what it shows is public information, which needs no encryption).

[extra disclaimer: probably haven't worked on it for a year]