Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
uhhh situation yes hi nickster - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Moderation (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-94.html)
+--- Forum: Incidents (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-97.html)
+---- Forum: Incident Reports (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-98.html)
+---- Thread: uhhh situation yes hi nickster (/thread-15273.html)

uhhh situation yes hi nickster - jackson535 - 07-10-2019

Let's start from the beginning.

To understand how this all came to be, you need to understand my perspective versus the general server perspective. I first joined such a long time ago, maybe 5 years now. at some point, maybe 3 years ago, heard 2 or 3 of my friends say this server was toxic. I decided it wasn't that bad. I started making a huge line drawing machine of my own design. it used only what I wanted it to use. in other words, it didn't comply with standard binary, 2's complement, and it definitely used pistons. one day, I was showing people what I had made at that point. eventually datacorruption looked at the adding/subtracting machine i made. I showed him how I used a sign bit, and he replied by making fun of it and then throwing a load of insults. I left the server for many months following that incident. so although many situations i am in today are for different reasons, I always know there are many people like datacorruption still in the server.

In the grand scheme of things, being 20 years old isn't enough to say I 100% know how to get around in life. But like all people, the way I handle situations is sculpted through past experiences. In this way, I have far too much experience with issues like these in communities. As a person, I think that communication is the most important thing to solve problems. I am in the awkward position of speaking to server owners about problems with the server that are measurably causing more harm than good (ex: anti clock plugins and extreme swear filters). out of easily 50 long encounters with server owners, only 1 has said something other than completely dismissing my story in a few words. I went from getting really upset and getting revenge when someone does something way out of line on me, to where I am today. It probably took so long because I never had any owners listen, so no matter what I tried, the same result happened. But now, I try to solve conflicts with good communication. This involves 2 receptive and respectful parties which will bring evidence to the table where applicable.

So, lets start with what happened.

Almost immediately when I rejoined after that incident, I was frequently hearing the idea that pistons were not as good as other components to make cpu's with. Being someone who has more experience in piston doors and piston mechanics than even what I know today about computational, I asked one of these people why they think that about pistons. they said something about pistons being unreliable. as soon as i heard the word "unreliable", a huge red flag went up in my head. Every piston device I have ever created had piston behavior which was predictable. sure, the machine can do something that you did not predict would happen during a test, but there is always a reason it happened, whether its whats in front of the piston, the timing, or what's powering it. And i figured, "maybe these people don't have that kind of experience in pistons. after all, something like a comparator has a lot less rules to how it works." The argument heated up, but not to the point where we are calling eachother names. But after showing eachother examples, we decided neither of us were entirely right. Pistons did in fact have predictable behavior, but supposedly a plugin on ORE made a certain edge case where pistons being improperly powered did seem to cause random behavior, which didnt happen anywhere else.

Hyper and I were friends, but at some point I went to talk to him and he made fun of me in a group voicechat in discord. he was done associating with me. I think this was around the time when people were saying certain machines were possible with comparators, but not pistons, and I went to show them otherwise by building it. all done in a respectful manner of course.

from this point on, things seemed to change. what were small disagreements about a game mechanic in the past, suddenly were addressed by insults towards me, in the same spontaneous and uncalled-for fashion as datacorruption had done. the people who threw these insults would say things to intentionally make me lose credit. I didn't want to become the fool of the server (look how that turned out), so I made examples like i did in the past, and insisted that they should see them. sometimes they did, and then they would pick at design issues and stuff that ultimately weren't relevant but were still unclear and could make or break the example i gave without explanation. so with my life experience of communication and argument settling on one hand, and the awareness of the people not listening and having poor communication on the other, I only saw going forward with what i was doing as the correct choice. I have obviously been seen with a really negative reputation by a few people after all these incidents. There is only so much constant insults a person can take. I began to accept that these people despised me, so I did play along with their insults sometimes. after the incident with the cca being ica, my idea started to grow old. no matter what I did or said, It won't solve a disagreement. the only thing that would solve these disagreements is to not have a disagreement in the first place. which means not voicing why i think something isnt correct. the obvious problem with that is new players will be fed misinformation on some subjects, such as pistons. it hurts me so much to see someone join who likes pistons and uses them a lot, only to shut down the thing that they loved using to comply to a standard that doesn't need to exist.

Your intervention today was a much needed trigger to let me reflect on this whole situation. I have concluded that I am at crossroads right now, and I need your help to know what the best way to get around this whole situation is. Maybe it's the hard shutdown of any such talking between those players and I. at the same time, that leaves other issues I discussed, such as the different advice for new players. maybe you could make us somehow all agree on what's going to happen from now on, and include new rules for these issues. maybe we all need some time off and tuke, hyper, and I need a temporary ban. I know you're very reasonable, so whatever you choose, I trust that it's the right decision.

RE: uhhh situation yes hi nickster - Nickster258 - 07-11-2019

Staff greatly appreciate you writing this post. You have outlined some issues and that we have to address. Expect an update from us regarding this.