Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
#Drawing Discord Channel - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Moderation (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-94.html)
+--- Forum: Major Petitions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-93.html)
+--- Thread: #Drawing Discord Channel (/thread-15154.html)

#Drawing Discord Channel - SpiritTree - 05-24-2019

Let me preface this by saying that my in-game name is Tidal_Force.

Type: General

Change Petitioned For: I petition to add a #drawing / #OREArt channel under VARIOUS in the ORE Discord. The future channel will be referred to as "#drawing" for the remainder of this petition, but any name related may suffice.

Reasons for Change: A lot of people draw or would like to start drawing as a hobby. A drawing channel on the ORE Discord could provide an environment for sharing art of the ORE community, some of which might include neat logos and name designs. In addition, it could provide a place for people to show their calligraphy skills or share other aesthetic ventures. Furthermore, those who have more experience in the craft could help guide those more inexperienced - up to a certain point, of course; the #drawing channel should remain very far away from tutorial posting that one can just find on YouTube in two seconds (unless, of course, the tutorial creator is an ORE member / the content pertains to ORE-specific ideas.) I think sharing appropriate art that one finds interesting could suffice, as long as it doesn't consume the majority of the channel (for this to be instituted, the creator must be credited.) 

Any skill level of drawing should be accepted. People should not feel pressured to "be good" to post, nor should this channel make fun of a learner's ability. No one starts out good at drawing.

Consider how much mental visualization is a key component of redstone engineering. All good creations start with someone imagining something. Perhaps encouraging drawing in the ORE Community will strengthen the mental eyes of the community as a whole. 

When you see people practice something and begin to get better at it, you can often be pulled in and want to participate (I mean, look at redstone). Why shouldn't we encourage a skill that people can practice their whole lives? Many people on ORE are high schoolers or below who may have mentally cleaved art and science from one another, when they are not mutually exclusive. I won't, however, start preaching - I just think this channel may benefit the community as a whole.

Ultimately, a #drawing channel would further emphasize the idea of ORE as a community. Just like we have #cubing, #drawing would be a good expansion to the ORE Discord. I'm sure we have some very talented artists on here.

Reasons for no change (optional but recommended): The following are counterarguments with resolutions.

1) You may feel that a drawing channel is "too much" or an "overextension" of ORE's domain. 

I will agree that it is an extension, but I wouldn't call it an overextension. ORE is now a network and even has meta-Minecraft adventures such as boat racing.

2) You might not want to "cringe" from the bad art this community will inevitably produce at one point.

If you feel this way, I beseech you to gather empathy. We are all human and just trying to make it through this life. If we can't be "bad" at something we can never be "good" at something.

3) You don't want this channel to turn into #music.

With heavier moderation, which I think this channel must entail, this shouldn't happen. No chains should happen here.

4) The channel will surely become inactive, there aren't enough people who want to draw on ORE!

Yes, this channel will probably move glacially slow, but I doubt it will go fully quiet. In addition, we already have this "problem" with a number of other channels. I don't see this as an issue.

Further Comments: If you have a better name for this channel, feel free to say it below. I want a name that includes pretty much all art related ventures, including drawing, curve stitching, painting, color-by-number, regular coloring, etc.  Smile

RE: #Drawing Discord Channel - Nickster258 - 06-04-2019

I like the idea of this channel. Many of the other staff also like this idea. Implementing this would likely necessitate another restructuring / refining of our Discord in organizing the channels more or requiring more moderation. We'll see what happens.