Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Thank you. - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Thank you. (/thread-15135.html)

Thank you. - Hastumer - 04-29-2019

Hey everyone, this is Sarah, also known in-game as SarahIsWeird. I've recently seen a video by jschlatt called "A tribute to Minecraft" - you may know it. If not, basically Schlatt, the creator of the channel, outlines why Minecraft was an important game to him and how it may be that it slightly changed for the worse and he grew out of it. Honestly, this video made me feel nostalgic, and I thought about the memories I made growing up with Minecraft. I started playing Minecraft when I believe I was about seven or eight? I honestly don't remember. What I know is I started playing when I was really young, and probably that's why it made such a lasting impression on me.

At school, I always was the bullied kid, the odd-one-out. I never really found peace of mind, especially at that time. Even now I'm anxious about every step I make, every decision I have to take, just so others can't get at me. Minecraft really helped me cope with this. I never realized this, but when I found out about Minecraft and started wasting hours on end in this weird game I was complete and utter trash at playing, it acted as some sort of valve for my pressure to release from. I made a really good friend in my early years, so to speak, of playing. He taught me how to love tech and how to question everything. I've been a very nosy and knowledge-hungry kid from the very start, but he amplified my love for the unknown even more. We lost contact a long time ago, but my love for the unknown has, if anything, only increased since.

Redstone always was this mysterious red stuff that made funny things, but I started dabbling in the dark arts of Redstoning only about two years in. I started making simple, yet overcomplicated piston doors, I continued automating farms and eventually, I found about a German Redstone guy who I, unfortunately, forgot the name of. He made these super complicated things (mind you, those were videos from beta versions showing off memory, which was iirc actually quite bulky), and I wanted to do that too! So I built my first adder. A YouTube video later, containing a crash course in binary, which I have absolutely no idea how I understood that shit, and a tutorial on how to build it, I had done it. My first adder. Can you imagine how proud I was of a 64x64, essentially plot-sized adder made of 16 AND gates? Luckily, the friends I had on that server were supportive of what I did, (hopefully) fully knowing they shaped the future of a 10-year-old girl.

After this, I wanted to do more. So I searched for servers dedicated to Redstone, and I found this server. I made an account, I applied for Student. I got it nearly immediately, but I think I first joined the server several months later. Why? I forgot about it. (Whoops) Well, there I was, finally I could learn about this advanced shit I've always dreamt of. You know how there are groups of people hanging out together at school? Yeah, I never had that. But on ORE School, we students partied all night long, only mostly metaphorically, until we were done for the day. The one player I remember most fondly is repeerc709. If you're reading this, hi <3. We had a lot of fun together, and I feel like he made ORE a thousand times more fun. I built a really nice Connect 4-machine, which used about 100 repeaters for it's piston lines. Not even exaggerating. I remember spending days in TeamSpeak, for those who actually still know it. A relic of old times, at least for me, with Discord taking over everything nowadays. I swear to god, even in 50 years my most fond memory will be of Nick and Gio (maybe one of those was Voltz, idr) talking about how they don't make a mess while fapping. Did I know what it was? No lol. But it was great fun, and I learnt speaking English. Thanks to this shit I'm nearly fluent in English, although some may debate that... I learnt about actual computational redstone, and soon (or not that soon), I knew how to build an ICA. I was, and kind of still am, a believer that ICA is not a good adder design, but oh well...

For my trial I built an ICA ALU. How ironic. I was trialled by Gio, something a lot of people said was the absolute worst, but to be honest I still don't understand why. He makes trialees explain every bit of redstone, something I only much later realized the reason of. He wanted to make sure we knew what we were doing, and in a way had this stuff in our hearts. And even if he didn't, well.. That was the effect, deal with it. Gio had to rush off, and the next day Pauk (I hope) continued my trial, only asking a few questions and making me do shit with the ALU. And then, I was Builder. I was so proud of myself, a feeling I've never experienced before. I spent a lot of days doing this and that, building trash, building not-so-trash, doing pixelart. And then the huge WorldEdit incident happened. I've basically seen a video of someone making an adventure/labyrinth type map with enchantment tables and the fact that they only have a limited range where they are rendered. Barriers didn't exist, so cobwebs did the trick for them. It was a fun project I wanted to do, and especially Gio liked the idea, giving me a plot far off to make it. Well, somehow I managed to not do //walls whatever, but instead //set enchantment_table. I absolutely do not remember how, especially how it was such a devastating moment for me, but what I do absolutely remember that it was not deliberate. Well, staff wasn't too convinced of it, and didn't care all too much, considering I made the map a swiss cheese and it had to be rolled back to a few months (!) earlier. I was banned, for a long time. I fucked something up quite small before it, and this was the last straw, since numerous W/E incidents had occurred. Hey, at least it made staff back shit up regularly.

When I was unbanned, I fucked up on the first day. Whoops. I don't remember why, but I think staff let it slide. Or they didn't and it happened sooner than I thought. I honestly do not remember.

Then I was unbanned for the last time, and I swore myself to triple-check every command I entered. Didn't do it anymore after a while, but whatever. I was young, my grades went into a very bad direction, and so did my attitude. Oh well... At least I learnt something from this whole ordeal: Life is not forgiving. Never ever.

Before my ban and after my unban, I made a lot of friends, memories and got lasting impressions.
Nick, the admin who always seemed a bit unfair, but actually wasn't.
Gio, the admin who never quite took anything seriously, and if he did, you were in serious trouble.
Voltz, the fuckhead. (nowadays you're cool tho <3)
newo, my long-time teacher who just didn't come anymore, unless he was drunk.
tyler, a moral guide for me, and someone with a huge knowledge.
rep, a guy you can only dream of.
dael, the most wonderful human being you can imagine.
puly, my bae <3
kon and tre, my fellow sourkrauts
digi, the discord kitten
jona, you little fucker, you really made me do shit i would've never imagined. as in programming. thanks <3
pablo, who i nearly forgot, but you're a cool dude too <3

I'm sure I forgot someone who I made a lot of good memories with, so just yell at me or sth, idk. Nearly everyone supported me when transitioning from Hastumer and Doc to Sarah, thank you to all of you <3

Eventually I drifted away from Minecraft completely, as more and more I made worse memories with it through real-life "friends". Yeah, I don't have those anymore, so I'll be sitting regularly in front of my computer, occasionally talking to online friends, and playing other games or programming some shit. That's how life is. Next year I will graduate German high school (grade 12 then), hopefully go to university. I don't do redstone anymore. It became boring, there's no charm in it anymore, just like the other shit I've been doing for so long. I might pop in once in a while, have a good chat with people, and then leave again for a long time. Possibly the last time.

Right now, it's 12:07am, I'm sitting in front of a computer screen, writing to people I have never met before, people of who I only ever saw one on photos (except Nick's and Capo's public photos lol). Am I crying right now? Yeah. Am I ashamed of it? Not a tiny bit. I don't know what will happen in the future, but I know what happened in the past, and I will always hold it dearly in my heart.

Thank you.

RE: Thank you. - Apuly - 04-30-2019

<3

RE: Thank you. - zSwifty - 04-30-2019

Its been fun.

If you move anywhere promise you wont break the whole server? Jk <3

RE: Thank you. - Nickster258 - 04-30-2019

I love it when members write things like this. It really means a lot and helps drive us to keep improving ORE.