Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Make modded great again - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-102.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Make modded great again (/thread-14244.html)

Pages: 1 2

Make modded great again - Alex - 07-03-2018

Can we get another expert pack on the server... normal packs get finished in 3 days and then everybody stops playing because there is nothing to do. We have been through this ordeal before, and the expert server actually lasted. A good pack would be something like FTB Continuum (FTB's flagship expert pack) and it has been agree'd upon by several people in the modded discussion chat.

https://www.feed-the-beast.com/projects/ftb-continuum

Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel

RE: Make modded great again - Nickster258 - 07-05-2018

I have added a poll. I really want community input on this as most all Staff generally do not play modded.

RE: Make modded great again - LordDecapo - 07-05-2018

edited poll cause survival is king

RE: Make modded great again - invention64 - 07-06-2018

If we did another pack we could get mods that FTB doesn't usually include like the ported computercraft and mekanism.

RE: Make modded great again - ZETA_15 - 07-06-2018

Want something that never ends playing? Tekkit Classic. Why tekkit classic? because it gives u freedom to do whatever, any kind of usefull and useless machine, whatever, whatever and one more time whatever u want to do it can be done.

I HATE MARKED PATH MODS! Everyone who is a little creative and a little engineer hates them, i mean, i hate mods that makes u craft things that does everything (NOTHING) and then force you to use them in a standard way. 
Example? i hate those mod that makes you craft a single block that both holds an infinite inventory and autocrafting/smeting/whatever, I HATE THEM! Once that block is crafted you have no mean to play anymore.

I love modpacks that introduces many different blocks that does many different little things, and it is up to you to combine them in an engineering way to make what u want to do that maybe was never intended to be done by the modpack creator, but he anyway gave you everything u needed to do it. Isn't this the ideal modpack? just having some more resources? or having to follow a marked path to somewhere that ends your game?

Tell me if I'm wrong....

PluginWriter

RE: Make modded great again - Alex - 07-06-2018

(07-06-2018, 08:12 AM)ZETA_15 Wrote: Want something that never ends playing? Tekkit Classic. Why tekkit classic? because it gives u freedom to do whatever, any kind of usefull and useless machine, whatever, whatever and one more time whatever u want to do it can be done.

I HATE MARKED PATH MODS! Everyone who is a little creative and a little engineer hates them, i mean, i hate mods that makes u craft things that does everything (NOTHING) and then force you to use them in a standard way. 
Example? i hate those mod that makes you craft a single block that both holds an infinite inventory and autocrafting/smeting/whatever, I HATE THEM! Once that block is crafted you have no mean to play anymore.

I love modpacks that introduces many different blocks that does many different little things, and it is up to you to combine them in an engineering way to make what u want to do that maybe was never intended to be done by the modpack creator, but he anyway gave you everything u needed to do it. Isn't this the ideal modpack? just having some more resources? or having to follow a marked path to somewhere that ends your game?

Tell me if I'm wrong....

PluginWriter

Mod packs going to die in 3 days, that is why questing mods exist. Anybody who knows what they're doing is going to have everything quickly if you don't make the game harder.

RE: Make modded great again - ZETA_15 - 07-08-2018

(07-06-2018, 07:24 PM)Alex Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 08:12 AM)ZETA_15 Wrote: Want something that never ends playing? Tekkit Classic. Why tekkit classic? because it gives u freedom to do whatever, any kind of usefull and useless machine, whatever, whatever and one more time whatever u want to do it can be done.

Tell me if I'm wrong....

PluginWriter

Mod packs going to die in 3 days, that is why questing mods exist. Anybody who knows what they're doing is going to have everything quickly if you don't make the game harder.

Even if u can get harder game the game will end somewhere, we have a running creative server, y does it work? the server task is creating working machines that uses redstone in an unusual way (in this case we mostly create computer components). The tekkit server would be exactly that way, i dont play tekkit to have quantum suit, i play tekkit to build enormous machines and stuff like that. we have infinite materials, infinite components, we can even create a working tekkit cpu and use computercraft to implement things, and so on, we have unlimited ways to go on, y do i have to start a questing modpack that ends somewhere very far away from an engineering purpose?

RE: Make modded great again - tokumei - 07-13-2018

100% agree with zeta here, if you're there to play/grind to an endgame, then don't go for technical packs. However, a lot of the community are engineers that know how to (and want to) innovate with something and build more on top of it, not follow a particular progression that the game gives you. That is why the original game was so attractive; that is why we have things like SciCraft, HermitCraft, Mindcrack, the big communities that create awesome things, mostly using the vanilla game. People love to take what is (or was once) a simple game and build with it, whether that be with logic, mechanics, or aesthetics.

For me personally, I can do a lot with Project Red / Open Computers / Ender IO; I had an unfinished project on last modded (when I actually had time) to make a completely automated base, mostly writing my own custom software to control and maintain the infrastructure. My current goal is to make something that takes those foundational principles to the extreme - an environment with a nothing block, a something block, and a script engine that lets you do whatever you want.

Of course, focusing solely on those principles will alienate many people who don't think in that way. I'm not completely sure where the general ORE community stands, but I'd like to believe that most of us are here not only because we had the discipline and desire to learn about the things we teach, but also the desire to research, to try new things and make something new from something old.

I've seen a lot of great innovations come out of this place, and I think there's a lot more to be found in technical modpacks and survival in general. Unfortunately, I have seen most of our survival servers become all about the grind, with most people losing enthusiasm once the endgame is reached, time and time again. I have never seen it that way; there is always something new, some limit that hasn't been pushed, with tech. For me, that was my automated modded base; I wanted to create something that I've never seen created before. Some of the players finished the progression after spending multiple hours each day working on it, trying to reach it as quickly as possible - what is the point in that; do you really get enjoyment out of that?

I would hope that at least some of you feel the same way; otherwise, there's not much point in me writing this entire thing. The point is, really consider why you want a survival (+modded) map. If we're going to make one, I want it to last a long time, not 3 months and then die after everyone has maxed out their gear. IMO with a fixed progression, there's always going to be some hard limit somewhere, but packs with more technical abilities offer more creative opportunity that could have much more potential enjoyment.

RE: Make modded great again - Koyarno - 07-14-2018

Yup, remember the time when we had survival up for ages, and it never really was considered "dead". We just continued to build castles and complex redstone stuff, and from time to time i would take a little break from it, because i don't want to be burned out. I do not even like slaying the dragon after i'm like 300 hours in.

There is no urge for me to build big dreamy stuff if the world gets reset, mods or no mods. Minecraft is a sandbox game, not a speedrun of action adventure

RE: Make modded great again - ZETA_15 - 07-14-2018

Guys, i'm happy with seeing someone supporting my idea, i have a limited knowledge of modpacks, the only one i play regularly and i build very great stuff on is tekkit, i have a gigantic automatic crafting quarter and a gigantic EMC farm that supplies the automatic crafting, so i have every item in the game stored in stacks somewhere and when i run out of it the system automatically supplies new ones. Now, what's the point in this? Why should i need this stuff? Because now is like playing creative mode, i am building a CPU and some redstone stuff, trying new mechanics, testing new power sources (solars are boring, usefull but boring). Overall i do engineering stuff the same way i do it on the builder server here in ORE. The problem is, i am lonely there, every one is struggling to have a quantum suit when i have infinite ones, and noone is trying to develop new technologies and new opportunities. I firmly want tekkit classic on ORE, not because it is the best modpack, but because it is one of the most effective at challenging players. The real run in tekkit is not for a quantum suit, the real run is for creativity.
In case I was to convince you to put tekkit classic on ORE (please dont try tekkit galaxy because they killed tekkit concepts) The ideal server would not be the one where everyone goes its own way to the end of the game but, as we do in the builder server, a big cooperation where we can share resources and machines, and develop new stuff.
Obviously if u want to go away from civilization and try to get to end game on your own noone will be there to stop you, it is your choice how to play it.

Thanks tokumei and koyarno for supporting my ideas, waiting for updates.

PluginWriter