Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Builder Application - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Moderation (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-94.html)
+--- Forum: Build Server Applications (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-10.html)
+---- Forum: Build Server Applications (New or Unapproved) (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-12.html)
+---- Thread: Builder Application (/thread-13576.html)

Builder Application - FalseGameMaster - 01-27-2018

[img]file:///Users/bobbob/Library/Application%20Support/minecraft/screenshots/2018-01-27_08.18.26.png[/img]IGN: FalseGameMaster

What I like most about redstone: Short answer: Computers, Long answer: I've always been fascinated by piston contraptions like doors and player launchers and such, mainly just because of their complexity and how something seemingly so random and compact could work so nicely, but just recently, I began having an interest in redstone computers as well. It was always mind boggling for me to watch a video titled, "Computer in Minecraft" and be blown away that redstone can pull that type of stuff off, but as I looked more closely into it, it can, and it's not all that complicated either. I don't claim to be an expert (definitely not yet), but I feel like I've made tremendous progress from where I started. I wish more people would get interested in computer science, especially since Minecraft is such a nice hands on tool for the subject.

I've made a few things that I believe best represent my current knowledge with redstone. The first is a machine that takes three letter op codes and converts them into binary numbers representing each function that the computer can carry out. The way it works is by having each letter have its own 5 bit address and you shift to the next register each time you press a button. Each time a register is enabled, it saves the letter address and at the end, it is all combined into a large 15 bit address by basically lining up the 3 5 bit addresses (5x3... simple math n' stuff) and is then decoded into a decimal number and then encoded into binary to be outputted on a bus of some sort. Seems rather simple compared to how long it took me to come up with that. Before, I was doing stuff like this to try and get it:

ADD:
0,1,1=1
0,0,0=0
1,0,0=1
=5
(Basically horizontally or-ing the addresses...and it was stupid of me. Never again.)

The second machine is a simple hardware coded game. (Basically, I didn't code it into program memory, but rather the machine's only purpose is running that game.) It revolves around collapsing 4 corners into each other. There is one player pixel that is opposite of the one "food" pixel (I call it food because it was originally going to be a snake game.) The two other pixels just plot on the screen relative to the player's position (This was done by accident by using a x,y plotter thingy that I made that is very picky about which coordinates are put in. It's basically a 2d and gate array not unlike those sliding multiplication chart things that show multiples up to 12 or something which is actually what inspired this in the first place.)

I plan on making a slightly upgraded version of the box collapse game that no longer has the 2 unnecessary pixels and possibly runs faster and smoother. I might even upgrade the binary to decimal decoders attached to the two random number generators for x and y so that they run faster.

I would say I do agree with the rules. Sometimes, you need to be more conformed and professional and this server is a decent example of that.

Builder Application - mazsolaskuglof - 01-27-2018

Your application doesn't seem to be following the appropriate form as provided here.

Please respond to this thread with the proper form provided.

RE: Builder Application - Koyarno - 01-27-2018

I like that you already have done different decoders and stuff. Though we do require a little bit of arithmetic in the mix of your build. (decoders/encoders are big, but also quite simple) and ofcourse, what maz says.

RE: Builder Application - FalseGameMaster - 01-27-2018

Oh. You want to see arithmetic. I have a vertical adder I'm working on compacting, so when I'm done with that, I'll add that to the application. I'm also working on a comparator design for attempting at designing a not so 3d game with redstone using a similar method to that of what early versions of Doom and Wolfenstein 3D used, but instead of ray tracing and vectors and all that other jazz I don't understand yet, it will use the distance of walls from the player in coordinates to draw lines. The player, however, can only face 4 directions. Right now I'm a bit stuck trying to figure out how exactly I render the line sizes and I'm thinking about using fibonacci numbers to do the proportions and such and having a corner map which tells the machine which vertical lines to draw and how big. I will also have a 2d collision map that disallows me from walking through walls. The only reason I didn't show that is mainly because I have no working prototypes yet as I haven't had a lot of time recently.

RE: Builder Application - mazsolaskuglof - 01-27-2018

I can see that you are very interested indeed in computing with redstone. Although the servers main focus is on actual computers or other computer- or networking-related builds and tools, a fully-working, usable mini-game may as well be good enough for the trial. But as Koyarno pointed out, we do require arithmetic, but I imagine that should be part of a line-drawing machine.