Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Opted-in vs Opted-out (Bounty Board 3.5) - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: Opted-in vs Opted-out (Bounty Board 3.5) (/thread-12692.html)

Pages: 1 2

Opted-in vs Opted-out (Bounty Board 3.5) - popwser - 07-15-2017

In Benny's rank system proposal (for lack of an official name): An issue he raises is whether to have every player start opted-in to the system, 
displaying their rank/bounty and others rank/bounty, or to start every player opted-out of the system so they don't have a rank/bounty visible and can't see anyone else's. What do you guys think?

RE: POLL: Opted-in vs Opted-out - Aerodynamic Brick - 07-15-2017

my vote is to start opted out. to help your vote the pros and cons are this:

pros to opted out:
those who want to be opted out have that as an option without judgement
those who want to opt in can do so anyways

cons to opted out
you have to type a whole command :o

RE: Opted-in vs Opted-out (Bounty Board 3.5) - bennyscube - 07-15-2017

I'm in favor of starting people opted-in. It gives everyone a fair shot at seeing the system and trying it out, as it wouldn't be obvious the system even exists for those who are opted-out, especially new people who join and aren't familiar with everything ORE has to offer. If, after seeing it and trying it they decide they don't want any part of it, they can simply type a command and never have it bother them again. Also, on the first day starting out everyone's going to be at exactly the same rank/bounty of nothing, so no real potential for judgment there. Presumably, the people who are concerned about judgment would choose to opt-out long before any meaningful difference in rank or rating would open up potential for judgment.

RE: Opted-in vs Opted-out (Bounty Board 3.5) - Aerodynamic Brick - 07-16-2017

(07-15-2017, 09:47 AM)bennyscube Wrote: I'm in favor of starting people opted-in. It gives everyone a fair shot at seeing the system and trying it out, as it wouldn't be obvious the system even exists for those who are opted-out, especially new people who join and aren't familiar with everything ORE has to offer. If, after seeing it and trying it they decide they don't want any part of it, they can simply type a command and never have it bother them again. Also, on the first day starting out everyone's going to be at exactly the same rank/bounty of nothing, so no real potential for judgment there. Presumably, the people who are concerned about judgment would choose to opt-out long before any meaningful difference in rank or rating would open up potential for judgment.

it will be obvious, it would be on the forums. also, people are sure to talk about it if they are participating

RE: Opted-in vs Opted-out (Bounty Board 3.5) - Matthew - 07-17-2017

(07-15-2017, 09:02 AM)popwser Wrote: In Benny's rank system proposal (for lack of an official name): An issue he raises is whether to have every player start opted-in to the system, 
displaying their rank/bounty and others rank/bounty, or to start every player opted-out of the system so they don't have a rank/bounty visible and can't see anyone else's. What do you guys think?

There is no reason to have an opt out in the first place... also its not benny's idea its mine, he refined it a bit. The official name for this is "Bounty Board"

RE: Opted-in vs Opted-out (Bounty Board 3.5) - Nickster258 - 07-17-2017

There is a reason for opt-out. Some people don't like rank association and don't want to display their rank. This is popular in rocket league for instance, people can disable the rank to show up.

This is handy here because people who were once active in bounty to try and get a higher tier/rank will slowly have their rank degrade over time. They can decide to not participate in it and then also choose to disable the rank display. Some people also don't want to start it anyway. I am in that later portion. I'm not in the position to participate in the bounty system and I don't want my meesly 1 tier to show because it's not right.

RE: Opted-in vs Opted-out (Bounty Board 3.5) - Matthew - 07-17-2017

(07-17-2017, 03:22 PM)Nickster258 Wrote: There is a reason for opt-out. Some people don't like rank association and don't want to display their rank. This is popular in rocket league for instance, people can disable the rank to show up.

This is handy here because people who were once active in bounty to try and get a higher tier/rank will slowly have their rank degrade over time. They can decide to not participate in it and then also choose to disable the rank display. Some people also don't want to start it anyway. I am in that later portion. I'm not in the position to participate in the bounty system and I don't want my meesly 1 tier to show because it's not right.

Having it disabled = low amount. Cosmetically i understand but i don't see any other reason

RE: Opted-in vs Opted-out (Bounty Board 3.5) - Nickster258 - 07-17-2017

(07-17-2017, 08:18 PM)Matthew Wrote: Having it disabled = low amount.

What? No. It will just not show online at all. Visually it is non-existent.

RE: Opted-in vs Opted-out (Bounty Board 3.5) - Matthew - 07-18-2017

(07-17-2017, 09:59 PM)Nickster258 Wrote:
(07-17-2017, 08:18 PM)Matthew Wrote: Having it disabled = low amount.

What? No. It will just not show online at all. Visually it is non-existent.

i meant from the perspective of others if opting out turns it off then it will = low amount of tallies. That aside i still don't see why we need it. If we use binary [10] - 2 points [1001] - 9 points, i don't see there being a chat size issue so why have op out again?

RE: Opted-in vs Opted-out (Bounty Board 3.5) - Nickster258 - 07-18-2017

(07-18-2017, 02:08 AM)Matthew Wrote: i meant from the perspective of others if opting out turns it off then it will = low amount of tallies. That aside i still don't see why we need it. If we use binary [10] - 2 points [1001] - 9 points, i don't see there being a chat size issue so why have op out again?

As I said many times, some people don't like rank association. People also turning it off doesn't necessarily mean low tallies. Some people just do not like that.