Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
HCP V2 Computer - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Projects & Inventions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-19.html)
+---- Forum: In Progress (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-20.html)
+---- Thread: HCP V2 Computer (/thread-1256.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: HCP V2 Computer - Null - 01-14-2014

>Ripple Carry Adders
>Why

RE: HCP V2 Computer - EDevil - 01-14-2014

(01-14-2014, 06:25 AM)Null Wrote: >Ripple Carry Adders
>Why

Where did you find ripple carry adders in this post? Tongue

And if he did use them, its probably because #swag

(01-14-2014, 09:38 AM)EvilDevil59NL Wrote: Where did you find ripple carry adders in this post? Tongue

I Sneaked Into His Plot And Found Them In That Computer...

Now I Just Need To Reverse Engineer It... Nya Nya Nya...

RE: HCP V2 Computer - Cutlassw30 - 01-14-2014

(01-14-2014, 01:35 PM)Null Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 09:38 AM)EvilDevil59NL Wrote: Where did you find ripple carry adders in this post? Tongue

Still better architecture than ive seen anyone else make. Who gives a flying fuck about implementation the guy is smart. But thats why I sorta dislike this server, everyone only cares about how good something looks and how compact/fast it looks. No one cares about architecture.

And even with a 70 tick clock speed and not compact what so ever. Im going to call this the best computer on the server.

(01-14-2014, 02:22 PM)Cutlassw30 Wrote: Still better architecture than ive seen anyone else make. Who gives a flying fuck about implementation the guy is smart. But thats why I sorta dislike this server, everyone only cares about how good something looks and how compact/fast it looks. No one cares about architecture.

You're Getting Me Wrong...
I Never Said That I Only Care For Compact/Fast Designs... And That I Don't Care About The Architecture...

I Just Said That He Uses Ripple Carry Adders...(Which By How Slow The Thing Is.... Adding CLE Adders Or IC Adders Won't Really Help...)

RE: HCP V2 Computer - Halflife390 - 01-14-2014

(01-14-2014, 06:25 AM)Null Wrote: >Ripple Carry Adders
>Why

Cause i cant be bothered to learn new adders. You see im an old school redstoner, i dont use all the latest stuff like CLE or cut carry or flood carry. Eventually I will learn these new ways and probably make a new CPU with them or something but for now, ripple carry works and its nice and so thats why i use it.

(01-14-2014, 02:22 PM)Cutlassw30 Wrote:

Still better architecture than ive seen anyone else make. Who gives a flying fuck about implementation the guy is smart. But thats why I sorta dislike this server, everyone only cares about how good something looks and how compact/fast it looks. No one cares about architecture.

And even with a 70 tick clock speed and not compact whatsoever. Im going to call this the best computer on the server.

Thanks mate! I really appreciate that! I would like to see your von neumann as I have never really seen one other than mine.

RE: HCP V2 Computer - Halflife390 - 01-14-2014

And even with a 70 tick clock speed and not compact what so ever. Im going to call this the best computer on the server.

Ok cut I was explaining this on the server but you had to leave so I can tell you now.

Basicly the clock is a 7 second clock, each clock cycle does 1 step of the stepper. But an instruction like add takes more then 1 step to complete.
Example:

1st step - load value B into the TEMP register
2nd step - load value a into the alu and the temp reg into the alu and add them together
3rd step - save the result into another register

As there is only 1 bus every command must be executed like this, in a series of steps. In each step any register can be read from and saved to but as there is only 1 bus you can only do 1 register at a time, get it?

But, as we want to access the next location in ram to get the next instruction after the current add instruction is finished we want to do a little addition. Now this takes another 3 steps. There is also one final step that resets the stepper back to step 1. In total that = 7 steps every instruction will need to do no matter what it is. So it takes 7 clock cycles to complete one instruction cycle. I know this is very slow but as its von neumann it needs to be like this.

RE: HCP V2 Computer - Cutlassw30 - 01-15-2014

(01-14-2014, 11:38 PM)Halflife390 Wrote:

Ok cut I was explaining this on the server but you had to leave so I can tell you now.

Basicly the clock is a 7 second clock, each clock cycle does 1 step of the stepper. But an instruction like add takes more then 1 step to complete.
Example:

1st step - load value B into the TEMP register
2nd step - load value a into the alu and the temp reg into the alu and add them together
3rd step - save the result into another register

As there is only 1 bus every command must be executed like this, in a series of steps. In each step any register can be read from and saved to but as there is only 1 bus you can only do 1 register at a time, get it?

But, as we want to access the next location in ram to get the next instruction after the current add instruction is finished we want to do a little addition. Now this takes another 3 steps. There is also one final step that resets the stepper back to step 1. In total that = 7 steps every instruction will need to do no matter what it is. So it takes 7 clock cycles to complete one instruction cycle. I know this is very slow but as its von neumann it needs to be like this.

Von neumann does not have to be like this. All of my RISC von neumann CPUs have only 2 cycles per instructions

RE: HCP V2 Computer - Halflife390 - 01-15-2014

[/quote]

Von neumann does not have to be like this. All of my RISC von neumann CPUs have only 2 cycles per instructions
[/quote]

Im basing my computer of a design in a book, this is how the design works thats why im building it like this.