Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Scheduled Education... - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: Scheduled Education... (/thread-10288.html)

Scheduled Education... - Matthew - 07-12-2016

http://imgur.com/Ezz0uyX Things are going well... Working on dates right now. I think im going to do the first lesson at 2:00am Timezone "0" on Friday and do it once every 4 hours for 12 hours. Find your timezone here http://imgur.com/uVnEtxc

RE: Scheduled Education... - Nickster258 - 07-12-2016

Not to try and stint your progress so far, but the way you are approaching this isn't at all formal.

Needless to say, unofficial.

Also, http://www.thetimezoneconverter.com/ is way easier than doing "Timezone 0". Just enter your time in there and it will print out when it is for UTC/GMT ( 0 ) time.

RE: Scheduled Education... - Matthew - 07-12-2016

(07-12-2016, 04:00 AM)Nickster258 Wrote: Not to try and stint your progress so far, but the way you are approaching this isn't at all formal.

Needless to say, unofficial.

Also, http://www.thetimezoneconverter.com/ is way easier than doing "Timezone 0". Just enter your time in there and it will print out when it is for UTC/GMT ( 0 ) time.

Thank you for the response. What would the "formal"/"official" approach be? because to be honest i rather do it that way as well

RE: Scheduled Education... - Nickster258 - 07-12-2016

This is assuming that a public vote means that this is now the new status quo.

It isn't, yet.

Once it is and after the Staff formalize a decision, we can make something up.

RE: Scheduled Education... - PNWMan - 07-12-2016

Nick, me and you were talking yesterday about this, and I just wanted to share some ideas we had:

*Students and builders could type in a command to register their timezone, instead of going to a site to do it. They would simply type in the hour it was for them (maybe with both 12/24 hour clocks supported? like you could do either 22 or 10P and it would accept it), and the server would check that hour against the server's time and come up with the appropriate timezone. Then, all times given to the client by the server would be individualized to that client's timezone. (Maybe provide a warning about registering times close to the change of an hour, since sometimes people's times can be a bit off and they might accidentally register an hour ahead/behind?) Also, you could register whether you use a 12 or 24 hour clock so that way you can more easily understand times given to you (possibly have this timezone registration all in one command? like /tz 10P 12 would be it's 10 PM for me and I use a 12 hour clock).

*Builders could schedule a lesson, with the lesson name, builder name, and time (location isn't that important because if the student is there at the time, they could just tp to the builder). This could be done either with commands or with the forum, but using the forum to schedule lessons might clutter whatever thread would be used, but using commands would make it more easy to abuse (pole dancing lessons every hour for the next week...). Whatever staff thinks is the best option.

*Then, students could type in a command to find available lessons, and it would give a list. Student's shouldn't have to sign up for lessons, they can just be there at the right time and it would work out. Since this command would also display the times, maybe require that they set their timezone first.

*A given amount of time after the lesson (maybe a few hours), the lesson is automatically removed from the list.

*Could we possibly use the same kind of system for scheduling internships? Except instead of listing the times they occur at (since they would be ongoing projects), it would just list the internships currently available, and then students could ask the builder in charge if they could join or something.

*Students will be renamed Apprentices, and the School server will also be renamed, although no decisions as to what have been made (Training, Beginning, Starting... who knows? Give some ideas!) Apprentices would remain visitors on the build server, unless they were invited by a Builder to an internship. Then, they would gain the rank Intern on build which would last either until the builder closed the internship (also removing it from the list of internships) or until a set amount of time later (so students don't have building perms on build for long).

RE: Scheduled Education... - Matthew - 07-13-2016

(07-12-2016, 10:45 PM)PNWMan Wrote: Nick, me and you were talking yesterday about this, and I just wanted to share some ideas we had:

*Students and builders could type in a command to register their timezone, instead of going to a site to do it. They would simply type in the hour it was for them (maybe with both 12/24 hour clocks supported? like you could do either 22 or 10P and it would accept it), and the server would check that hour against the server's time and come up with the appropriate timezone. Then, all times given to the client by the server would be individualized to that client's timezone. (Maybe provide a warning about registering times close to the change of an hour, since sometimes people's times can be a bit off and they might accidentally register an hour ahead/behind?) Also, you could register whether you use a 12 or 24 hour clock so that way you can more easily understand times given to you (possibly have this timezone registration all in one command? like /tz 10P 12 would be it's 10 PM for me and I use a 12 hour clock).

*Builders could schedule a lesson, with the lesson name, builder name, and time (location isn't that important because if the student is there at the time, they could just tp to the builder). This could be done either with commands or with the forum, but using the forum to schedule lessons might clutter whatever thread would be used, but using commands would make it more easy to abuse (pole dancing lessons every hour for the next week...). Whatever staff thinks is the best option.

*Then, students could type in a command to find available lessons, and it would give a list. Student's shouldn't have to sign up for lessons, they can just be there at the right time and it would work out. Since this command would also display the times, maybe require that they set their timezone first.

*A given amount of time after the lesson (maybe a few hours), the lesson is automatically removed from the list.

*Could we possibly use the same kind of system for scheduling internships? Except instead of listing the times they occur at (since they would be ongoing projects), it would just list the internships currently available, and then students could ask the builder in charge if they could join or something.

*Students will be renamed Apprentices, and the School server will also be renamed, although no decisions as to what have been made (Training, Beginning, Starting... who knows? Give some ideas!) Apprentices would remain visitors on the build server, unless they were invited by a Builder to an internship. Then, they would gain the rank Intern on build which would last either until the builder closed the internship (also removing it from the list of internships) or until a set amount of time later (so students don't have building perms on build for long).

Wow great ideas. I think this could definitely work. I know this isn't my place to talk and i definitely trust the staff to come to the right decision, that being said i support this idea 100%

RE: Scheduled Education... - Matthew - 07-13-2016

(07-12-2016, 02:35 PM)Nickster258 Wrote: This is assuming that a public vote means that this is now the new status quo.

It isn't, yet.

Once it is and after the Staff formalize a decision, we can make something up.

Ok thanks for the reply, I trust the staff will reach the right decision and will stay out of it ;P sry for the fuss.