Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Our Education System - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: Our Education System (/thread-10263.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Our Education System - MW3_587786 - 08-06-2016

I think I'll pitch in and make a video. I have a decent microphone (Blue Yeti) and a good screen recorder, so it should be a pretty high quality video. Imma make one on binary I guess and make it unlisted.

RE: Our Education System - josh03222 - 08-06-2016

(08-06-2016, 09:31 PM)MW3_587786 Wrote: I think I'll pitch in and make a video. I have a decent microphone (Blue Yeti) and a good screen recorder, so it should be a pretty high quality video. Imma make one on binary I guess and make it unlisted.

Don't bump you fucken kumquat

RE: Our Education System - MW3_587786 - 08-06-2016

owell it'll be live here https://youtu.be/2wphbSzzQ58

RE: Our Education System - Matthew - 08-09-2016

(07-09-2016, 07:35 AM)newomaster Wrote: "I mean, we are such a great community that people stick around even though they haven't done redstone in years!" - PNWman - That's me

My two-cents on this matter:
1: With the new trial system in place, knowledgeable students will be more important. One way or another they will have to learn.
2: I'm not sure how the school server is operating now, so take my next ideas lightly:
3: To remove some of burden off "teaching the same thing over and over" (which, mind you, as someone who taught a lot while I was active, I didn't mind teaching adders many many many times. I treated it as a fun puzzle to figure out how the student learned and adapt my strategies to fit their needs best) why don't we regularize the lessons, saying x lesson is happening at y time at z's plot. That way we can have groups of people learn from the same lesson. It would be almost.. you know... more like a... school?
4: A set ORE curriculum may be helpful. Videos especially. Maybe we could reboot the ORE yt channel?
5: Maybe we could integrate school into the build (something I've advocated a lot in the past) this would put the students and builders into contact more instead of isolating them.
6: What about hosting official group projects where a group of 1-3 students work with a builder or two on a real redstone project? We could call them "Internships" or something #newoideas

#newoideas...................................................... *head explodes*

RE: Our Education System - TuchiTheSalt - 08-14-2016

The sad thing is I don't see any staff responding to this thread, I think the main issue is there's no motivation in the staff to enforce these changes even though it will benefit the server greatly ;-;

RE: Our Education System - Nickster258 - 08-14-2016

(08-14-2016, 02:57 PM)TuchiTheSalt Wrote: The sad thing is I don't see any staff responding to this thread, I think the main issue is there's no motivation in the staff to enforce these changes even though it will benefit the server greatly ;-;

There honestly isn't. I was participating in these "fix" threads a month or so back and tried to push for it by sparking discussion, but it never happened.

We need elections again.

RE: Our Education System - josh03222 - 08-14-2016

(08-14-2016, 04:42 PM)Nickster258 Wrote:
(08-14-2016, 02:57 PM)TuchiTheSalt Wrote: The sad thing is I don't see any staff responding to this thread, I think the main issue is there's no motivation in the staff to enforce these changes even though it will benefit the server greatly ;-;

There honestly isn't. I was participating in these "fix" threads a month or so back and tried to push for it by sparking discussion, but it never happened.

We need elections again.
[Image: mYiJpxj.gif]

RE: Our Education System - tokumei - 08-14-2016

I have also been a big supporter/pusher of things when notice a thread like this. And it's true that our staff is lazy; I've made quite a few discussion threads that have never been replied to in the staff forum.

RE: Our Education System - PNWMan - 08-15-2016

I think the forums need a sweep-over a couple of times to search for old ideas that were forgotten about but might still have some relevance.

Also, this is a bit late, but earlier Mar_Win mentioned the idea of separate plots for internships where apprentices have WE instead of builders just inviting apprentices to their plots. This might be a good idea so apprentices are less likely to grief other projects on a builder's plot. Then after the internship is completed or has timed out, the plot can be reopened for another internship (in which the builder might delete the old project or scoot it away, or whatever they want to do with it). If we are giving apprentices WE and internships privileges, I think each apprentice should have a maximum amount of internships they can participate in to encourage them to not use internships as an excuse to build on the build server.

I'd just like to say hats off to nick and nonemu because from what I have seen, they have been the most active and helpful admins recently. I've also seen qwer and crazy helping out, good job guys!

RE: Our Education System - TuchiTheSalt - 08-16-2016

Im not sure who operated(or used to operate) the official YouTube but I'm sure many people are willing(including me) to make tutorials and videos for the channel, and I think that would be a good starting point for further changes as well as being in more people