Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Nuup's new laptop - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: General computing and engineering (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-66.html)
+--- Thread: Nuup's new laptop (/thread-10054.html)

Pages: 1 2

Nuup's new laptop - Nuuppanaani - 06-10-2016

I need a new laptop for school and personal use and I'd love to get you folks' suggestions.

I'd like to dock the thing and use it as my workstation at home too.

I am/will be a Computer stuffs student, so I'll do mostly programming on the thing and carry it around in my backpack.

Budget isn't really limited as long as long as I get good value for money.

Here's my requirements:
  • Fast Intel processor, preferably Broadwell based (why?)
  • Intel graphics (I have a desktop with a beefy GPU)
  • Accepts at least 12 GB of RAM
  • GOOD *nix support (Linux, OS X or Chrom{e,ium} OS)
  • All day battery
  • 12-14" screen, matte 1080p+ preferred
  • Supports a dock with a minimum of 2 external monitors
  • Premium build preferred
  • Speedy SSD, preferably upgradeable
Devices I'm already considering:
  • Thinkpad T450(s)
  • Thinkpad 13
  • Zenbook UX303
  • Dell Chromebook 13
  • Chromebook Pixel 2
  • Macbook Air
Would love to hear your thoughts on this Smile
-Nuup

RE: Nuup's new laptop - PabloDons - 06-11-2016

how do you expect to dock a macbook air? I mean if apple can get away with less sockets, they will 120% of the time

btw. I don't recommend graphical linux OS's. They suck. Just use a server and connect to it through ssh if you wanna program. That's my two cents

RE: Nuup's new laptop - Apuly - 06-11-2016

pablo, yer talking to one of the biggest Linux fags on this server about Linux.
Also there are no graphical Linux os's (i think don't quote me on this). There's Linux distros that run x server.
Also you can dock quite a lot of shit into a usb type c port.

git gud

(06-11-2016, 12:56 AM)Apuly Wrote: pablo, yer talking to one of the biggest Linux fags on this server about Linux.
I felt like it bruh. Don't judge.
(06-11-2016, 12:56 AM)Apuly Wrote: Also there are no graphical Linux os's (i think don't quote me on this). There's Linux distros that run x server.
I meant linux OS's GUIs suck 124% of the time.
(06-11-2016, 12:56 AM)Apuly Wrote: Also you can dock quite a lot of shit into a usb type c port.
I find usb hubs extremely displeasing

RE: Nuup's new laptop - Nuuppanaani - 06-11-2016

(06-11-2016, 12:15 AM)PabloDons Wrote: how do you expect to dock a macbook air? I mean if apple can get away with less sockets, they will 120% of the time

btw. I don't recommend graphical linux OS's. They suck. Just use a server and connect to it through ssh if you wanna program. That's my two cents

Well, there are options to docking an Air, but I guess I should consider a Pro with my requirements for the thing.

And yes, I agree Linux can be a pain, that's why Chrome OS and OS X really appeal to me, they're both Fully working Corporate backed Unixes. Not gonna use a Windows machine tho, I like my *nix way too much.

And Paul, get out of my thread if you have nothing to add to the conversation but asshattery.

RE: Nuup's new laptop - LordDecapo - 06-11-2016

U can use a thunderbolt hub with the MacBook to give you far more ports and monitors than any other laptop... but it's a fucking mac....

Find a good NON apple laptop with Thunderbolt and call it a day

RE: Nuup's new laptop - Nuuppanaani - 06-11-2016

(06-11-2016, 02:01 PM)LordDecapo Wrote: U can use a thunderbolt hub with the MacBook to give you far more ports and monitors than any other laptop... but it's a fucking mac....

Find a good NON apple laptop with Thunderbolt and call it a day

See, I want Unix. OS X is BSD based and POSIX.

Sure I guess OS X is kinda good. But it's fucking apple. Every time someone gives those fucks money. I die a little inside. plz no, they don't compete, they block competition. that's their thing. Plz make it stop

RE: Nuup's new laptop - slugdude - 06-11-2016

(06-11-2016, 06:44 PM)PabloDons Wrote: Sure I guess OS X is kinda good. But it's fucking apple. Every time someone gives those fucks money. I die a little inside. plz no, they don't compete, they block competition. that's their thing. Plz make it stop

This ^

I bought a Thinkpad T400 and I love it.

Get a Thinkpad. I mean, Stallman uses a Thinkpad so that's gotta stand for something.

(Obviously you wouldn't get a T400 I'm not suggesting that, I'm quite aware it's underpowered for your needs.)

RE: Nuup's new laptop - slugdude - 06-11-2016

(06-10-2016, 09:54 PM)Nuuppanaani Wrote: Budget isn't really limited as long as long as I get good value for money.

>wants good value

>considers Apple