Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
HOLIDAY BUILD-OFF! - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-102.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: HOLIDAY BUILD-OFF! (/thread-13372.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: HOLIDAY BUILD-OFF! - Nuuppanaani - 12-19-2017

(12-19-2017, 05:34 AM)nonemuninja Wrote: Here's an idea: Build a machine (optionally reprogrammable, bonus points there) capable of calculating a well-known but non-trivial constant (like pi or e) to a given precision.

I like this idea a lot, but it's a really hard one.

But I guess we've had enough of the build-a-basic-cpu challenges.

I'll probably join as I should have a whole bunch of free time on the holidays ^^.

RE: HOLIDAY BUILD-OFF! - konsumlamm - 12-19-2017

(12-19-2017, 06:23 PM)Nuuppanaani Wrote:
(12-19-2017, 05:34 AM)nonemuninja Wrote: Here's an idea: Build a machine (optionally reprogrammable, bonus points there) capable of calculating a well-known but non-trivial constant (like pi or e) to a given precision.

I like this idea a lot, but it's a really hard one.

I'm not sure what algorithm you mean, but imo it's not really hard. Sure you need a multiplier for most algorithms, but that's still not much harder than a CPU. I like the idea of finding e or π, maybe some other constants like sqrt(2) (easier)?

Another suggestion would be a simple floating point adder, maybe with a custom format for simplicity. Idk about bresenham, but i think its doable too.

RE: HOLIDAY BUILD-OFF! - tokumei - 12-19-2017

A floating point adder would be great. And yes, I think a square root might be easier to calculate. Maybe we should put off Pi for Pi Day...

RE: HOLIDAY BUILD-OFF! - LambdaPI - 12-20-2017

I think calculating e would be great.

RE: HOLIDAY BUILD-OFF! - konsumlamm - 12-20-2017

Does calculating some fraction that is approximately π count?

RE: HOLIDAY BUILD-OFF! - tokumei - 12-20-2017

Yes, but you might get a lower score for precision. If you can use a formula to generate any number of digits, that would be way cooler than a divider.

RE: HOLIDAY BUILD-OFF! - LambdaPI - 12-21-2017

We're gonna have to define some rules tho for stuff like e. Considering the fact that you can basically have a huge tape of random 1/0 generators. If you just count the amount of correct numbers then that crappy workaround would win.

RE: HOLIDAY BUILD-OFF! - tokumei - 12-21-2017

I can't find the method that you're referencing, but if it is a valid way of calculating e, then it should be perfectly legal. Depending on the scoring, you might lose points for not using a general-purpose machine, but as long as you're not using a hardcoded table of digits of e, it's fine.

RE: HOLIDAY BUILD-OFF! - LambdaPI - 12-21-2017

Create a string of random bits
Compare to e
Get some amount of bits correct
ez
It was a joke.

RE: HOLIDAY BUILD-OFF! - konsumlamm - 12-21-2017

but saving e in a ROM seems to be a legit algorithm to me