Forums - Open Redstone Engineers

Full Version: Spawn Rebuild - What do you want?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Alright, So I feel like its time that we updated spawn, Made it better for people to really see what ORE is all about.

Lately we have been getting a lot of visitors and most of them have no idea about anything that is going on. Namely, They have no idea we are actually serious about being a redstone server.

First of all, lets talk about our current spawn.

Now the guys who built it did a great job. It looks fantastic and serves a pourpace as a spawn point for everyone.
What it does not do, however. Is make people interested. It does not capture peoples attention. There is no.. Substance. Nothing off in the distance that people will want to fly to. There is nothing telling the player that this is THE redstone server.

We dont want to force the player to teleport to someone to see something awesome, They should discover something, and be amazed by it. This initial spark of curiosity will most likely leave people in awe at the possibilitys of redstone. We may see people who initially came here to look around, but stayed for they were now really interested in redstone.

So you see. there is much to be done.

Lets make spawn something interesting.
Something that really shows that we are all about redstone.
Something that will.. Blow. Peoples. Minds.

So guys. I need suggestions as to what will be around spawn. Will it be a super cool CPU that runs a program when a visitor pushes a button?

I have my own ideas that i will change to suit your suggestions (if they are good, that is) but i want to hear from you guys too!

And also, Serious suggestions only, please, no pixel art or doors.

I will be sketching out a map of the proposed spawn in the coming hours/days depending on my work load.

Cheers - Shrogg
How about just a big ass screen with some simple rom behind it. Program some fancy words / sentences into it, and when a player pushes a button, the signal scrolls through the lines of rom.

Advantages
  • Simple
  • No calculation involved
  • New players will be overwhelmed
Disadvantages
  • Huge. Especially with, for example, 64 lines behind it
  • The posibility of endless lag
Yeah, Thats a cool idea. We could make it far more advanced than the usual display though, because rom/screen combo is boring to us.

I Was thinking of doing something along the lines of this

We have 4 Sectors, Each sector is dedicated to something.

1. Spawn District
  2. Members District
  3. Games District
  4. Computing District

Spawn District
Code:
Contains the Spawn point, With rules and a few guides on how to get around the map.

Members District

Code:
This is a place where members can feature their complete builds. It will be cool to put more of a focus on what our members create, and encourage people to show off their awesome builds.

Games District

Code:
We often see people socalising and playing silly games, So why not do that in its own centralised place?

We could have redstone games like Tic-Tac-Toe, Connect 4, A Rubix Cube, Lights out, And also have things like Minigolf (throwing slime balls on ice)  and spleef.

Computing District
Code:
The biggest and most awesome District of them all. The computing District will contain computers that look nice, have neat access ways and buttons that anyone can push to run 1 line of a program at a time (to save lag)

The computing district will also have things like legacy computers, advanced logic thingymawhats and neat little gizmos.

We could also dress it up to look awesome, have nice neat pathways and embedded parkour Big Grin

Fun for the whole family!

Also, the spawn area is Massive
I support this idea. New members could spawn in some kind of central square. HOWEVER, I think that it's important not to immediately fill their heads with all that stuff the moment they log on... I don't know we could fix that, although parkour, minigolf stuff would make the whole idea a bit tamer.

A second thought I just had is that the devices showcased would have to be very robust. (4 tick repeaters on the inputs?) Just because, since obviously new members will have button-pressing perms there, we don't want the machines glitched out. Tongue
+1 To the Sector plan! Not only will it be a place where new players immediately understand what this server is all about, but it also will, like mentioned above, encourage members on the server to show of their builds. Not entirely sure if the game concept is going to work out though. I like it, but certain redstone created games tend to get really big. Of course, if the general spawn area will be huge, this is no big deal Big Grin
How about when new players join, we have a plugin getting their name and displaying it on a big ass screen.
(08-21-2013, 11:03 AM)David Wrote: [ -> ]How about when new players join, we have a plugin getting their name and displaying it on a big ass screen.

That, my friend, would be amazing. But considering how long usernames would be, we'd need a really weird plugin to translate each letter to a byte in redstone somehow, and then decode them all seperately...

Maybe you were joking, but that is what we'd need to do. Big Grin
It is possible to modify the world using plugins - take /pclaim and /punclaim, those work by placing/removing redstone blocks under the lamps. It should be possible...
Hah, that would be awesome!
True... but it would be just so much repetitive bussing, unless the plugin did more for us than I thought we were aiming for... although if there's a decent way, I'm totally in. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5