Forums - Open Redstone Engineers

Full Version: 32 Bit Oscilloscope
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Whilst messing around with clocks I thought it would be a good idea to have a device that allows you to measure and compare different clocks, essentially an oscilloscope. I don't know if anyone has done anything like this before. Its really only a small project I built today and probably doesn't serve any practical purpose but it works and looks cool.

The oscilloscope is a large screen with 32 segments. There is a control panel where you input a clock pulse. The clock will then be visually displayed as a trace on the screen. The device allows you to get a better view at the wave form of clock with different frequencies, wave lengths and duty cycles. It is quite fun to mess about with even if it does cause a bit of lag.

There is a master control panel that has a few features:
  • On/Off Button - Turns the oscilloscope on or off
  • Level Signal Switch - Inputs a level signal to the oscilloscope (not a clock). This tests to make sure all the bits are working and updates all of the lamps
  • Invert - Flips the waveform 180° out of phase (Inverts the clock signal)
  • Clock It Button - Allows you to manually clock the screen using a button
  • Example 10 tick clock - Just puts a basic 10 tick clock through the system

Next to that is a space for you to build your own clock to test.

[Image: 5F0lzXG.png]

[Image: wF9LvAb.png]

[Image: etC9DsV.png]

[Image: lwJIb4J.png]

[Image: XnVnEe9.png]

[Image: yTovzaO.png]

Like I said, it was just a quick project however, I might make a better version with the segments next to each other and possible 2 screens so you can compare wave forms. I could even have redstone signal strength to act as amplitude?
Rekcir briker* has something more like an oscilloscope on ore, ask him about it

*idk how to spell
(06-12-2015, 02:03 PM)greatgamer34 Wrote: [ -> ]Rekcir briker* has something more like an oscilloscope on ore, ask him about it

*idk how to spell

yup, here is a link Wave Gen
I saw 32 bit and i was like o_O is that a lot? and then i realized its just showing a stream of 1s and 0s. Yes I have also have made a device for measuring the period of a clock, but it has a numerical output instead of a display where you count the bars.

measuring a clock can be handy. the way yours is set up, it looks good for measuring an asynchronous clock. The way I designed mine it is only accurate to 2 ticks but I bet yours could be 1 tick resolution.

I also have a "5-bit" analog oscilloscope to look at pretty waves.
[Image: 2014-11-29_204739_zpsc9c0ed3a.png]
(06-12-2015, 04:41 PM)Legofreak Wrote: [ -> ]I saw 32 bit and i was like o_O is that a lot? and then i realized its just showing a stream of 1s and 0s. Yes I have also have made a device for measuring the period of a clock, but it has a numerical output instead of a display where you count the bars.

measuring a clock can be handy. the way yours is set up, it looks good for measuring an asynchronous clock. The way I designed mine it is only accurate to 2 ticks but I bet yours could be 1 tick resolution.

I also have a "5-bit" analog oscilloscope to look at pretty waves.
[Image: 2014-11-29_204739_zpsc9c0ed3a.png]
Nice scope! I was thinking of making it as complex as that but it was only a quick device I wanted to build.
I got one that's good to one half tic and (IIRC) count as short as a 2.5 tic clock.
Well, mine is now officially obsolete. Going to have to start on a better one!
Mine works by freezing the image using a double piston 'and' gate layout. I think it captures 8 ticks of data. It uses a large cascading... thing that times the captures by the and gates to prevent the waveform from drifting across the screen, and it has another cascading thing (they're like trees of repeaters set for certain delays) that when you push it, it delays that clock pulse by one tic, so the waveform moves one bit to the right. If it's a piston clock generating the test pulse, the last bit in the high stream flips every time the screen updates (thus: half-tic accuracy)
pics or didn't happen
Give me about... eh... 10? or so hours. I have to dig it up off of the hard drives... one of them.
Pages: 1 2