Forums - Open Redstone Engineers

Full Version: Application
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Minecraft name: Tacobellington

What do you like the most about redstone?: I love redstone as a whole. There isn't one thing I can specify that I like the most.

What's a thing you have made which demonstrates redstone knowledge?: I made a very simple 4-bit calculator.

What does the thing do?: It can add and subtract 4-bit numbers and display the result on a screen.

Image and/or video, from imgur.com or youtube.com: http://imgur.com/zdozvPL
One quick question, how does the calculator work? This looks pretty good, I just want a bit more explanation of how it works. (e.g. what are the main components.)
(12-31-2013, 03:27 AM)Ntwede Wrote: [ -> ]One quick question, how does the calculator work? This looks pretty good, I just want a bit more explanation of how it works. (e.g. what are the main components.)

It uses a binary encoder to translate the numbers 1-10 into a 4-bit binary value, it does this with the other side and combines them in a really simple ALU that has an inverter for one of the inputs and one for the output. the result of that goes into a binary decoder and then into another decoder for my 7 segment display. Both of my input values also go into a binary decoder and then into another 7 segment display encoder.
Ok, that's great for an application, I'll give you a trial on the build server when you're ready.