Forums - Open Redstone Engineers

Full Version: The Nibble Byte - A Hex CPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Plan
- Include Multiplier and Divider Circuits (Divider also outputs Modulo)
- RISC because easier hardware (First CPU so easy is good)
- 29 Total Operations currently (I'll post a link to my ISA eventually)
  - 5 Arithmetic
  - 8 Bitwise Logic
  - 6 Memory (Includes send and receive mentioned further down)
  - 5 Control Logic
- 8 Hex Bits (Equivalent to 32 Bin Bits)
- 16 Registers (1 Hex Bit)
  - 4 Registers are used for the display (Basically just simple output)
- Functionality to send and receive data (IntOREnet now a thing)
- Not pipelined (Again this is my first CPU)

Main Roadblocks (Trying to design all circuits from scratch)
- Hex Multiplier is only 1 hex bit
- No Hex Divider design
- No Hex ALU design
- No Hex PROM design (Probably not too hard tho)

Other Stuff
- The CPU is being built on my second plot (/p v IAmLesbian 2)
- I'll put updates here (assuming I remember to)
- Any advice is appreciated and I'm open to questions and constructive criticism

That's all I've got, hopefully I actually get stuff done
Minor Update: The Hex Adder now fits the way I wanted for the multiplier, so that's no longer an issue
Huh
(11-05-2019, 11:33 PM)Angry_Salmon Wrote: [ -> ]Huh

Honestly same
I'd really like to hear what you got for the hex multiplier concept. That sounds incredibly interesting.

Also how in the world would a hex ALU even??
(11-06-2019, 12:32 AM)PabloDons Wrote: [ -> ]I'd really like to hear what you got for the hex multiplier concept. That sounds incredibly interesting.

Also how in the world would a hex ALU even??

The hex multiplier works on the same principle as a binary multiplier.  Just do 1 bit multiplication for all bits between the 2 numbers then add them all up.

As for the Hex ALU, I'm probably either going to convert to binary (less likely) or ditch a lot of logic and only use the logic I need (more likely).  What I mean by that is I'd go for comparison logic more relevant to hex values like an operation to tell me if A > B or B > A or A = B, things like that.
How are you going to do bitwise operations like OR? Are you going to decode from hex to binary?
(11-06-2019, 02:48 AM)Angry_Salmon Wrote: [ -> ]How are you going to do bitwise operations like OR? Are you going to decode from hex to binary?

In my last reply on the post I mentioned I'm probably going to just ignore the logic functions and instead just have functions that do things like A>B A<B and A=B.
Minor Update: I chose a name and made a 2 versions of logo for it.  I'm going with Nibble Byte because each Hex bit is a nibble and the CPU is 8 Hex bits so a byte.
Update: Combinational Multipliers for Hex are decently slow and huge so I'm considering either not including a Multiplier or having a sequential one rather than a combinational one. The issue with a sequential one is that it has the potential to be very slow depending on the inputs.
Pages: 1 2