Forums - Open Redstone Engineers

Full Version: IDW's Build server application
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
IGN: IDW

What do I like most about redstone: 2 things: first of all I think that building from the bottom up is an extremly valuable skill for the future of computer hardware engineering. We are at the precise moment in time that electronics is transitioning from making circuits smaller and smaller to starting from atoms and building circuits with them. The other reason is that the transfer and transformation of information (say that 10 times fast) brings me some weird joy. it feels so good when a machine you have made moves information around all on its own.

Something that Demonstrates my knowledge of redstone: This is sort of two things at once because the thing I really want to show requires knowledge of the other. Its a Cipher program I programed my redstone computer with. The computer has a unique way of accessing memory, but that has little impact on the Cipher program. Memory is accessed as an operand via register addressing mode in which the operand is the memory address to which the register is pointing. This makes the computer on the whole quite slow, but it has lots of uses in programing and my intention when I built this computer was to make a machine that could function like this.

The computer itself has 4 GP registers, One Byte word length and instruction format that can come from any memory device, 3 Double Operand Instructions and 8 Single Operand instructions. 32 Bytes of RAM and 64 Bytes of ROM

[Image: p43Gdtd.png]

What does it do: The program gives you a random number and you have to encrypt that number according to a key the computer has stored in it. The Computer also encrypts the number. if the two match, the computer turns off (what a useful feature that would be if you were trying to log onto a computer) otherwise it chooses a new random number and repeats the cycle.

So here is an example of the program running that I just did First, I get the random number which was surprisingly 2 :O

[Image: zfivx9C.png]

The Random number is encrypted by subtracting it from the key. This way, when the random number and the encrypted number are added together, the result is the key. By the way, the Key I have loaded is 13. so to get the encrypted number, 13 - 2 = 11

[Image: f8QQ9Z0.png]

The computer has no comparison operation to set its flags and instead branches according to the status bits of the previous clock cycle, so the comparison is done completely with software by subtracting the given number from the number the computer has encrypted itself and then decrementing that number to see if there is a cary out. 

[Image: 5UDcZtO.png]

What are you planing on making for your build trial: I am going to build a 4 bit anti-burnout Kogge-Stone adder. Ive come up with a way of doing Kogge-Stone that lets you make extremly fast antiburnout adders, potentially 4 ticks for 7 bits, and this design is a scaled down verision of it. I don't want to build the larger versions because they are really hard and take a long time without worldedit and as Donald Knulth would say "be careful with this design I've only proven it works."

Do you agree with the rules: Yes, they are reasonable
Accepted for trial! Hop on the server at mc.openredstone.org and ask a staff member for assistance.