Forums - Open Redstone Engineers

Full Version: O.R.E.F.A.Q.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
we need a F.A.Q. for newcomers. 
lets make one in this thread.
so add anything you want.
How do I get a plot to build on?
Apply on the forums and wait to have your application accepted to become a Student on the school server.

Why do I have to apply before I can build here?
This is not simply a creative server for building on; application process is used to filter serious redstone builders from casual creative builders. This server focuses on computational redstone.

Do I have to keep waiting to have my application accepted?
Please be patient, as it is processed lovingly by human hands and so may take some hours or a day. In the meantime you can join our school server and build on our freebuild plot as you wish.

What should I make? Piston doors?
Perhaps there's a consensus that O.R.E. is not a place for door building, but it's not against the rules to do that. Keep in mind however, there are other redstone servers that focus on the more practical/survival creations like doors and other mechanical contraptions, where those types of builds are expected.

Where can I learn to make computational redstone?
There are some good tutorials on our forums and on youtube. If you apply and become a student, you may on occasion receive help from our moderator-teachers when they have time. If you see them on the server, ask nicely if you can be taught.

Can I use World Edit?
Not until you achieve 'Builder' status. World Edit can be a damaging tool to others' plots if used incorrectly or there's an accident. And so we only give this privilege to those who have earned some level of trust on the server.

How do I reach status of 'Builder'?
It's recommended that you first apply to become a Student, then as you develop your skills you may decide to do a trial to move up. You would need to demonstrate some thorough know-how in the subjects we focus on here. However, if you have prior redstone experience and feel that you know some computational builds well, you may directly apply for builder. Student is not required, just recommended for those new to redstone or the computational aspects of it.

When is a good time to do a trial?
Try to find and coordinate with a moderator/teacher/admin that can facilitate your trial on the server. Mods schedules may need to be taken into account.
can a teacher teach me?
if you ask nicely :3
Freeproganer posted a nice thingie. It's in offtopic
(06-15-2017, 06:43 AM)LambdaPI Wrote: [ -> ]Freeproganer posted a nice thingie. It's in offtopic

That's actually not a bad guide.. but these things aren't so easy to find.
Ye this stuff needs to be easily accessible like a link in the motd.
maybe it should be relocated from 'off topic'?
Not to fundamental tutorials i think. Maybe if we had a big link on the main site going to that post.