Forums - Open Redstone Engineers

Full Version: Build Server Application
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Minecraft name:
M1nerman
What do you like the most about redstone?:
There are always multiple ways to achieve a goal!
What's a thing you have made which demonstrates redstone knowledge?:
A stackable 3-by-X piston door.
What does the thing do?:
It is a door, which is 3 wide, but I designed it so that (if it were not for server lag and the MC building limit) it is ever-expandable upwards
Image/s and/or video/s of the device, from imgur.com or youtube.com:
https://youtu.be/9Yu7gGm9Jt8
What do you plan on making for your build trial?:
I plan to build a flush and seamless drop-down staircase
Do you agree with the rules?: yes
Your application does not show sufficient redstone knowledge in order to join the build server.

Instead, I'd recommend applying for our school server here.
After reviewing other applications and looking at the server's application format, I got building and decided to reapply. If this doesn't get me in I don't know what will.

Minecraft name:
M1nerman
What do you like the most about redstone?:
There are always multiple ways to achieve a goal!
What's a thing you have made which demonstrates redstone knowledge?:
I have made a Binary to ASCII translator.
What does the thing do?:
I have broken down the creation into different coloured circuits, and will describe what they do below.

Orange- The Input Interface
     When you hit each button, a monostable circuit reduces the redstone signal to only 1 tick, long enough for 2 pistons to spit out their blocks, creating a T flip-flop. One horizontal T flip-flop spits out a redstone block, which then powers the Input Display Lights. The other T-flip-flop spits out its redstone block downwards. These T flip-flops, as opposed to the horizontal which were built for decoration, are functional. These downward power the Light Blue Circuit- Transmission A.
Light Blue- Transmission A
     The next step is to convert the user input into it's character. Unfortunately, I have to test an 8-bit binary string for 95 different characters, and I will address this in the Blue Circuit, but I needed a way to connect the Orange to the Blue. This Light Blue Bircuit is that way. First, the Light Blue separates each line of redstone to be side by side with each other. Then, each line splits itself into 5 redstone lines. A total of 40 redstone lines are produced from the Light Blue, 5 lines for 8 bits of binary. All of these are routed into the Blue Circuit- Conversion.
Blue- Conversion
     The Blue Circuit takes 8 lines of redstone and tests to see if the redstone meets a specific combination. There are 5 chains included in the Blue Circuit, each of which test 19 different combinations, or characters. In total, this machine accounts for 95 characters. To test each combination, I created 2 different tests- one in which the line of redstone needs to be powered (A) and one in which it must not be powered (B). Each combination is separated by a repeater. If I need a redstone signal to be on, I place redstone dust in front of the repeater and, place a torch on the side of the dust. The line must be on to deactivate the torch. The other (B) test is if I need a redstone line to be off. To test this, I placed a block in front of the repeater, and a block 2 meters below, and redstone dust on top of that. Based on ASCII values, I string together specific combinations of these tests in a row. I then route the string into a redstone torch. If any torches or redstone dust in the string is powered, the Torch will be deactivated. Because every character includes a unique ASCII value, I can piece together several combinations and only 1 torch will be activated at a time. The Blue circuit also includes a test to determine whether the inputted binary string coordinates with a known character. The torches at the end of each combination string are all connected to a "master line." This line runs into a torch at the end of the blue chain. All the torches at the end of strings are connected into the Pink Circuit- Transmission B but the master line runs into a seperate circuit: the Red Circuit-Invalid Entry.
Apparently my computer does not like me typing so much online, so I shall stop. But, I would be glad to explain more if you request a further explanation.
Image/s and/or video/s of the device, from imgur.com or youtube.com:
http://imgur.com/gallery/2oIhN
What do you plan on making for your build trial?:
I plan to build a sample of the Blue circuit.
Do you agree with the rules?: absolutely!

And also, thank you for your reconsideration!
Minimum for build server is an rca alu. What you have spplied with is basically a sikple decoder. A decoder is not enough for the build server.