Forums - Open Redstone Engineers

Full Version: Wingez's awesome application
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!
I was a member of the ORE/RDF some years ago. I wasn't very chatty and didn't build anything special so none of you probably remember me. I remember understand the designs of alu/memory/buses/registers very well but just couldn't grasp how to combine them all to a compute unit. No matter how many hours I spent trying to reverse-engineer other people's cpus I just couldn't grasp how they worked in their core.
But that was when I was a kid years ago. Now, when I haw acquired a lot more knowledge in programming and computer architechture, I feel obliged to return and complete that redstone-computer I dreamed about building back then.

What do you like the most about redstone?:
How such complex things can be created of such a limited set of items.

What's a thing you have made which demonstrates redstone knowledge?:
I hope this counts; An 8-bit CPU!
Features:
  • 256bytes RAM
  • 8bit ALU with ADD/SUB and Overflow/Zero flags
  • Up to 255 OP-Codes with maximum 32 cycles of excecution
  • Decimal Output screen
  • Variable clockspeed with manual and automatic stepping
  • Branching
  • 2 general purpose registers and 1 for the stackpointer
  • Fancy lamps for easy debugging]
Its still not entirely finished, branching and the stack is working kind of quirkily but it is fully capable running a fibonacci-seqeunce program or anything that only requres addition/subtraction and data-movement.

As I said I haven't done redstone in years but here is some really old screenshots of my past redstone adventures and I hope I still remember some of it! Note that cpu in the album was really shitty and I never got it to work properly.

What do you plan on making for your build trial?:
I don't really know right now. but I promised to have came up with a masterpiece until then

Do you agree with the rules?: Yup
Minecraft name: Wingez

If this happens to be accepted could someone tell me at what time is the highest % chance of a admin to be online? For trial

Cheers!  Cool
Accepted for trial! Hop on the server at mc.openredstone.org and ask a staff member for assistance.

I'm not sure about the current handling of RDF members, but I do think they need to retrial. Although that CPU on the screenshit looks good, you need to urgently refresh your redstone knowledge, probably just by watching some videos. And you don't build a masterpiece for the trial. Smile A properly explained ALU and general knowledge about the topic (which it seems you have) is enough.