Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Students Teaching Each Other - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: School Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: Students Teaching Each Other (/thread-4070.html)

Pages: 1 2

Students Teaching Each Other - Iceglade - 07-15-2014

Sorry if this is the wrong subforum for this thread, I wasn't sure whether it belonged in incidents or feedback.

Recently I've seen a LOT of students attempting to give lessons to each other. Given the recent temp server merge, I've been able to see exactly what goes on at school whenever I'm on build, and it's been kind of disturbing. From what I've seen, there appears to be a students hierarchy where some of them have gone far enough into our redstone 'curriculum' that they feel validated to teach other, newer, students concepts that they potentially don't understand completely themselves.

Only last night, I witnessed a lesson being given from student P to student Q. Student Q had recently gotten his rank that day, I should add. There were teachers on (myself included, I actually pride myself on my adder/ALU lessons more than most of my actual builds), but instead student P jumped in and began to teach student Q 'adder'. Not 'about RCA adders, the simplest addition algorithm', but simply 'about adder'. This is a problem in itself, but listening to the lesson in chat myself it appeared very vague. Were I student Q I would not have learned much from it myself, and in that case I certainly believe the other student himself would not come out of a lesson with any understanding other than the rote knowledge of that exact adder design. After the lesson was done, without giving student Q a break or a chance to ask questions (which is essential), student P jumped right into a subtractor lesson (teaching ones' complement before two's complement for some unfathomable reason). This entire scenario is one I see disturbingly frequently, and is counter-counterproductive to the ideals of the school server.

To note here: We don't just let members teach. We have a specific rank that requires community trust and prior teaching ability to obtain that gives even a MEMBER the opportunity to teach. And in some cases, as Nickster has pointed out, even some teachers have been lacking! (Although I've never seen this happen, but that's for a different thread). If this is the case, then it's even worse to have students teaching each other. As a hopefully dedicated-teacher-to-be once some order is restored on the server, I think this should be included as a server rule or guideline for students.

Thank you for reading.

-Ice

Addendum: I don't want to handle this with a poll, since I'm not exactly sure what measures should be taken. But I do believe that we need to do something.

RE: Students Teaching Each Other - EDevil - 07-15-2014

Just yes. Nothing more, 100% agreeing here.

RE: Students Teaching Each Other - LordDecapo - 07-15-2014

(07-15-2014, 11:50 AM)EDevil Wrote: Just yes. Nothing more, 100% agreeing here.
Ummm ya.. I thin evil summed it up with that one.
I have seen student teach stuff to others that was INCREDIBLY far from the truth.
I am a teacher, but I do not like giving lessons as Student P always seems to wan to bud I when I'm teaching student Q something and tell me "oh now that won't work don't do that!!!"
student P is a student for a reason... I now know how my math teacher felt when I corrected them.. And I feel like a Douche (<Sry).

And Off topic... IMO, with ice glades posts recently trying to address issues, I officially give my nomination for him in next admin election..., just saying

RE: Students Teaching Each Other - greatgamer34 - 07-15-2014

I dont think there is a way of preventing students from teaching other students... :/

RE: Students Teaching Each Other - Iceglade - 07-15-2014

How do we stop ordinary members from teaching students? I think this is actually another good reason to merge build and school so that real teachers are more often available.

P.S. 1000th post

RE: Students Teaching Each Other - LordDecapo - 07-15-2014

(07-15-2014, 03:34 PM)Iceglade Wrote: How do we stop ordinary members from teaching students? I think this is actually another good reason to merge build and school so that real teachers are more often available.

P.S. 1000th post

Grats on the 1000th!
I think we just need to do the Tutorial forums as mentioned in another post, would solve many problems

RE: Students Teaching Each Other - EDevil - 07-15-2014

(07-15-2014, 04:36 PM)LordDecapo Wrote:
(07-15-2014, 03:34 PM)Iceglade Wrote: How do we stop ordinary members from teaching students? I think this is actually another good reason to merge build and school so that real teachers are more often available.

P.S. 1000th post

Grats on the 1000th!
I think we just need to do the Tutorial forums as mentioned in another post, would solve many problems

I'll take a look at it, but given by the "high amount" of new active users (users who join ore and are also active on the forums) i don't think that thats the perfect solution either. Although it is a good idea. A very good idea :/

RE: Students Teaching Each Other - Guy1234567890 - 07-16-2014

We already have a tutorial sub forum! Help fill it out! But yes I completely agree: students teaching students is... well... it shouldn't be happening given how many people are here who already have a good understanding of the fundamentals. I agree that the teacher rank needs reforming, but the reason the teacher rank was created in the first place was to make sure those who were teaching knew what they didn't know and that they would only teach what they were capable of teaching. If for some reason this became common practice (to only teach lessons on topics which one already has a strong understanding of) then the teacher rank would not need to exist.

I guess the purpose of my post was to suggest that maybe a cultural change is possible such that people can self assess whether they are capable of giving a lesson, and that the standards to which we hold lesson giving can be ingrained in the society. Perhaps our more experienced members can give lessons on lesson giving to students and members so that when they feel compelled to give a lesson they are capable to do so, even if their rank doesn't explicitly say so.

RE: Students Teaching Each Other - Xray_Doc - 07-18-2014

Please stop pissing your pants over this. What are you going to do if they teach each other, make them sit in the timeout corner?

Sorry for being so harsh but this really doesn't seem like a problem to me.

RE: Students Teaching Each Other - Iceglade - 07-20-2014

I just find it funny how it comes up that the teachers aren't competent enough to teach, and then students who haven't made even made it on build just go ahead. I'm not 'pissing my pants'; notice this is in School Discussion and not incidents.